Thread: cat5 vs. coax

cat5 vs. coax

What advantages are there from using a CAT5(or 6?) connection vs. coax (with a fios connection)?

I'm asking because I thought maybe it would be worth getting CAT5 housewiring.
    It is incumbent upon every generation to pay it's own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted upon would save one-half the wars in the world. ~Thomas Jefferson
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. ~ Thomas Jefferson
    Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson
    Truth Is Treason In the Empire Of Lies. ~ Ron Paul

Re: cat5 vs. coax

For what part of the network? For the PC to PC network, CAT5e or CAT6 all the way, no question. I'm not sure how the service is delivered to the modem in a FIOS setup...
    Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 700 watt Thermaltake modular PSU
    Asus Crosshair III Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 BE
    4 GB OCZ BE
    EVGA GeForce GTX260 Core 216 896 MB
    WD 1600JB (7200 RPM, 160 GB, 8 MB cache), external drive now
    Samsung DVD burner
    WD1000FALS 1 TB

House wiring to modem.
    It is incumbent upon every generation to pay it's own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted upon would save one-half the wars in the world. ~Thomas Jefferson
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. ~ Thomas Jefferson
    Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I'm using two Actiontec Fios routers to do Ethernet over coax. I'm running it on Time Warner and use the two as a coax bridge instead of powerline ethernet as I can't run cat5. Only thing hoked up is my PS3 and I haven't measured speeds but it's faster then wireless G, probably not as fast as cat 5 or 6 esp if you have gigabit lan.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by vote ron paul View Post
    House wiring to modem.
    Then you need to find out what the connection is on the box they install. I thought they usually got that stuff all set up for you...
    Phenom II X4 955 BE
    4 GB OCZ BE
    Samsung DVD burner
    WD1000FALS 1 TB

Verizon set it up, but I wasn't home when they did it. My parents were and I hadn't told my parents to ask them to wire for CAT5e or 6.

Any links that could be provided to me comparing coax vs. CAT5 or 6 connection [to wall]?

BTW, thanks to everyone for replying

Quote Originally Posted by vote ron paul View Post
    House wiring to modem.
    When you say house wiring to the modem, do you mean from Verizon's network to their modem in your house? It shouldn't matter. Depending on your modem and the service you subscribed to, the modem will not even be able to come close to filling a Cat5's capacity.

If I was to upgrade my internet to the fastest available, I'd still only use about 1/10th the capacity a Cat5 cable can handle. So using Coax would still be fine. Cat5e and Cat6 would be a waste and possibly cause issues as they are designed to run at higher frequencies then what Cat5 runs at.

IIRC, Coax would run 10Mbps Half Duplex, Cat5 100Mbps Full Duplex, Cat5e 1000Mbps Full Duplex, and I have to lookup what Cat6 can do. But to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they can get a lot more out of Coax then what I wrote. Back in the day, Coax network adaptors were only 10Mbps, they've had a good 15~20 years for them to improve on that.

But if they just wired from their system to your modem, then they'll match the cabling up properly. And since its only the modem that'll be able to use it, it won't affect your network at all.

Thanks for the kind reply Spankin Partier I was mistaking the router for the modem.

What's the difference between half-duplex and full-duplex? Do half-duplex connections have 2x the latency and/or not send as much bandwidth at once?

If you have two computers hooked together along a single half duplex connection, one computer can be sending data and the other will be receiving the data. They both can not be sending data at the same time. With a full duplex connection you can have both computers sending and receiving data at the same time.

You can think of it like comparing how a CB radio works as compared to a telephone. On the CB you are either listening, or you are talking. While on the phone, both people can talk and hear each other at the same time.

Back in the pre-internet days, network communications were simple. There wasn't any streaming data, or P2P networking, or any of the other numerous networking technologies that have now crept up. So if you had a small network of only a handful of computers back then, there really wasn't much of a difference between half and full duplexing. But now a days you would be much more apt to notice the speed improvements.

--------------

BTW, thanks, and my pleasure.

Again, you need to find out what connectors are on the devices you're plugging in. Most likely they'll be RJ45, so coax would be out of the question.

FTR, I haven't seen home network equipment with anything other than RJ45 in 5 years...
    Phenom II X4 955 BE
    4 GB OCZ BE
    Samsung DVD burner
    WD1000FALS 1 TB

Quote Originally Posted by mlevy View Post
    FTR, I haven't seen home network equipment with anything other than RJ45 in 5 years...
    MoCA is the new hotness.