Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New budget gaming PC build

Once again, I am after suggestions/advice for a brand new computer build, this time though, I have a stricter budget.

I know what I want, but unsure if they'll be the best combination, or a good price to performance ratio.

Budget wise, I have $1000 NZD to spend on the build, excluding monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers.

Without further ado, here are my proposed specs :P

AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1GHz AM3
    Generic 2x2GB 1333MHz CL9 DDR3
    320GB WD Caviar 7200RPM SATA HDD
    Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P DDR3 AM3 ATX motherboard
    Samsung SH-S223F SATA 22x DVD-RW
    Generic 500W PSU
    NZXT Apollo Tower Case
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3

That's pretty much it. I am wondering though, does my motherboard that I chose support that nifty BIOS feature to unlock those 2 locked cores on the PII X2?

I don't plan to overclock on this computer. If there's any good, and possibly cheaper alternatives to the parts I have chosen, please tell me so. I'm trying to save as much money as possible with this build, but still maintain a very competent mid range-ish gaming PC.

Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions and advice

Note, this will not replace my current i7 system, it'll be replacing my old Compaq running an AMD Sempron and an 8500GT :P
    Last edited by Sinful Malice; 07-28-2009 at 03:39 AM.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Re: New budget gaming PC build

Replace the words generic with some decent brand name plz

The whole point of this build is a budget gaming PC :P If I replace the generic brands with anything better, then prices shoot up too high over my budget. Prices over here in NZ are different than in the USA.

If I wasn't so restricted by money in this build, then sure, I wouldn't mind going for better branded stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Replace the words generic with some decent brand name plz
    As he says, ESPECIALLY the PSU.......that will make or break a system!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinful Malice View Post
    The whole point of this build is a budget gaming PC :P If I replace the generic brands with anything better, then prices shoot up too high over my budget. Prices over here in NZ are different than in the USA.

If I wasn't so restricted by money in this build, then sure, I wouldn't mind going for better branded stuff.
    If the PSU will not power your components efficiently and consistently then the other components might as well be no name also.
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 07-28-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: PSU note added

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by Sinful Malice View Post

Budget doesnt mean you cant use all brand name parts.

I can build you a 600 US dollar budget gaming rig with all top quality parts

Unfortunately, with prices here as they are, using name brands pretty much determine if it's a budget PC or not :P

Brands such as Corsair, OCZ, Enermax and what not make for pretty expensive PSUs, no matter what the wattage.

I'm pretty amazed at US prices for parts though, I wish I lived there :P

Switch from the NZXT case to something cheaper. Then you'll have more money to get a better, such as Antec Earthwatts. The 380watt Earthwatt PSU is enough to power that system.

Another thing, I'd look into ECS motherboards, or BioStar. They make very decent motherboards. The $70 USD ECS 780GM-A motherboard can power that, and it uses the cheaper DDR2 RAM.

Haha, a little too late, case is already sitting in my room, waiting to be filled :P

About those motherboard options though, only Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and DFI AM3 motherboards are offered here in NZ, no ECS or BioStar.

There's only a small price difference betweek DDR3 and DDR2 here, so I don't mind spending the little extra.

Check here another $12 for brand name RAM. There is some others there too, but there seems to be a pricespy glitch cos three retailers have that HyperX RAM a bit too cheep I think.

Check here, Acbel 500W PSU NZD$88.20. And you don't really need an awesome brand for a PSU, but anything is better than generic. Hyena is absolute minimum or Raidmax is ok.

Generic brands have nothing to lose in brand reputation so have no motivation to make anything that will last more than 2 weeks.

If you are looking for a deal, even go to Trademe, here, here, here, and here.

Good luck
    Last edited by djotter; 08-02-2009 at 04:58 AM.

psu wise i wouldnt get anything less than an ocz 500-600 watter. antec earthwatts 500w too.
    not sure how much are parts over there, but your nz dollar is very close to the canuck one so for 1k you can build something nice.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Yeah the dollar value may be the same, but we are a long way away and prices take a little while to filter down with a lower volume.

So did you splash out yet?

If not I have 2 HD4850s for sale if you are interested?

Sounds tempting, how much? :P I doubt I'll buy both though, since the motherboard only has 1 PCIe x16 slot, and I don't plan to go AMD for my i7 machine I use atm.

$200 each? 1 is a Sapphire Toxic with a zalman cooler, factory OC 675/1100 and the other is an Asus with an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 that I run at 675/1100 aswell.

How did the rest of the build go anyway?

Sound very tempting, but I'm fine with the reference models, thanks :P I still have the ram and the graphics card to order, but the motherboard, CPU and hard drive will arrive on monday. Case is sexy :P I reckon I could have gotten better parts if I didn't spend so much on the case, but this'll be the machine I'll be taking to LAN parties, my i7 is far too heavy and valuable xD. So I needed a nice case.