Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Question Re: Onkyo receiver only lasted 3.5 yrs.?

This could work, but I don't see the video in connection?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882455001

Would this work straight from the receiver monitor out with RCA video straight in the Digix video in (if I can find the input)?

Coby has some units that might work as well, but I can't figure out if they really have video in or not.
    Last edited by SkaarjMaster; 09-29-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Re: Onkyo receiver only lasted 3.5 yrs.?

Looks like newegg's specs are deceptive. DVD/LCD portables will be few & far between at under $50, although you could have an 8.5" lcd monitor for < $40 shipped if you're willing to resort to ebay. Video in doesn't seem to be a common feature of the sub-$100 players from what I've looked at on newegg.

Question Re: Onkyo receiver only lasted 3.5 yrs.?

Why do some of these portable LCD players say "Video in/out"? Does this mean it will do it either way depending on what's plugged in? That doesn't make any sense. Anyway, it's looking more and more like I should just order the converter box.

Unfortunately, the CRT (monitor nearest the receiver) has one of those VGAs that just comes out of the monitor with nothing to unhook, so I'll either have to use my wife's LCD monitor or unhook from the computer everytime I want to set/check the receiver speaker/OSD settings. I hate messing with the back of computers when access is no fun, so it looks like I'll be using the wife's monitor temporarily.

The "video in/out" I think newegg pulled from somewhere else for that digix unit...they don't have the specs listed the same way for the rest of their players.

This might sound silly, but have you considered getting a long video cable, and hooking it up to a nearby tv (temporarily)?

That vga converter has a pass-through output, so once you connected it to a pc+monitor, you wouldn't have to remove it, unless you wanted to use it elsewhere.
    Last edited by Evileagle; 09-30-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Cool Re: Onkyo receiver only lasted 3.5 yrs.?

Yes, but the TV is 3 rooms away practically on the other side of the house; it's also one of those huge and heavy things before they started releasing lighter LCDs and stuff; it's also installed in an entertainment center and would be a PITA to move that out from the wall also.

I have too many things connected already and I don't want my main PCs going through a converted all the time for anything. I think I'll just connect my wife's monitor temporarily (I might not even have to move it) and calibrate from there and check the calibrations once a month.

In light of all that, I'm assuming it's a go to order that converted off ebay, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by SkaarjMaster View Post
    In light of all that, I'm assuming it's a go to order that converted off ebay, correct?
    I think that's the best choice. Also, it's a useful thing to have around the house - I can think of many instances where I've been tempted to buy one of those converters.

should work fine for you

Lightbulb Re: Onkyo receiver only lasted 3.5 yrs.?

Got the 120mm fan on top of the receiver sucking the air out and up. Probably not too necessary, but it does suck the air out and it may increase the life by a few months. The converter should be here in a week or two.

Sounds good. Like I said, I only have experience with the 818/918 running hot & sometimes failing...they could've changed things in the newer ones for all I know. You may not need the fan if you don't run it too hard & there's open space above it, but I guess you'll figure that out soon enough.

Thumbs up Re: Onkyo receiver only lasted 3.5 yrs.?

Installed the converter Tuesday and everything's calibrated and working correctly. I had to turn the gain up a little on my subwoofer to get it to a similar level as the previous receiver, but that was about it. Also, it sounds better with the phase on normal instead of reverse for some reason. I'm not using any of the automatic features of the receiver as I calibrated the speakers manually.
    Skaarj-laptop:Asus G750JW-NH71,Win8.1,Corei7-4700HQ,12GB DDR3 RAM,Nvidia GTX 765M 2GB,Realtek HD,TSST CDDVDW SN-208DN,WDC 750GB HD...
    SkaarjMasterDuo:WinXPSP3, Core2Duo E8600(Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P),Noctua NH-C12P,4GB Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-8500C5 RAM,Nvidia EVGA GTX-750Ti 1GB,SB Audigy2 6.1,Klipsch 5.1 sats,Dayton sub,Pioneer VSX-819H-K rec,,Enermax 850W PSU,Lian-Li PC-71B full tower,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T,2-1TB WD HDs.....
    Dragonslayer (at Mom's house now): WinXPSP3, P4 3.2GHz(Asus P4P800-Deluxe),Thermalright SLK-947U,3GB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM,ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256MB,VGA Silencer,SB Audigy2 5.1,Seasonic 500W PSU,Silverstone FT01-B mid tower,LG DVD burner,Asus E616P3..
    Dragon1: (off for now, will not boot) Win98SE, AthlonXP 1900+(Soyo SY-K7V Dragon+),Thermalright AX-7, 512MB Crucial 2.5 DDR PC2100 SDRAM MSI GeF4Ti4400,SB AudigyGamer,Enermax 431W PSU...