Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD Time Yet?

SSD Time Yet?

I have been considering a OCZ summit or the like. Been reading about fragmentation, garbage collection or the lack of, drive slowdown.

Is it too early to buy these drives or are these issues being blown out of proportion?

Whats everyone's thoughts or suggestions?

I bought a OCZ Summit 120 @ newegg for $289 on Friday BTW.
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

Re: SSD Time Yet?

Well, I for one think price wise it's way too early (for the average consumer I am), but if you have the dough, get it.

Please, reply to your own post your experiences so the non-early adopters can benefit.

I almost pulled the plug on a 60gb summit (was on sale for 179$ cad after MiR) but decided to wait some more ...

Plz post your impression of the drive when you get it!!

I'm get'n all messed up listening to y'all talk about these things, waiting to get one of these things as well, it really gett'n to me LOL. But, as a MSS-EE, it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy any type mass storage device for which no formal industry standards exist. They don't, YET, and believe me guys, that's all I'm waiting for. I'm sick of these electromechanical POS drives, but I have my scrupples

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    I'm get'n all messed up listening to y'all talk about these things, waiting to get one of these things as well, it really gett'n to me LOL. But, as a MSS-EE, it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy any type mass storage device for which no formal industry standards exist. They don't, YET, and believe me guys, that's all I'm waiting for. I'm sick of these electromechanical POS drives, but I have my scrupples
    tsk tsk tsk

bm aside, too pricey...i wont pay more than 100$ for a fast 60 gigers...they remind me of raptors back in the day. fast, but expensive as f...

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
    tsk tsk tsk

bm aside, too pricey...
    Agree. I'm not willing to spend a barrel full on such small capacities.

I have been tempted lately as well but they still are too expensive for my budget. I am hoping for some drastic price drops during the holiday season. I realize that nothing is much better than about $2.15-ish/GB but I would really like 1$/GB which still puts the pricing at 10X that of disk drives but the performance would be worth it.

I remember when the Raptors where this expensive.

I get the drive today, I'll let you all know how it is.

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

Well ok fellow ponder. Put in da box and let's hear her go wibbit wibbit .

Well ok fellow ponder. Put in da box and let's hear her go wibbit wibbit .
    If there is a wibbit, wibbit sound it goes straight back

You ain't fold'n no mo??

IMO it isnt ready yet. Not for me. The price isnt the huge issue. It doesnt seem ironed out yet. Nothing feels standardized. Youve got large differences in performance from brand to brand and theres craploads of brands. Then you've got the odd little issues like the garbage collection that so far everyone has taken a different aproach to. Then you've got intel who has this strange massive lead in one way and not in another. Plus the capacities arent quite right to their prices. I need about a 150-200gb MIN for game/OS.

I am waiting probably about 6 months to a year before adopting. Standards need to come into play, performance brand vs. brand needs to equalize, prices per gb need to come down, and general confusion needs to subside before I jump.

You ain't fold'n no mo??
    No buddy,

I haven't folded for awhile, after I cracked top 100 I started looking at the power bills.

I just didn't want to afford it. Maybe this winter I'll start again

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    IMO it isnt ready yet. Not for me. The price isnt the huge issue. It doesnt seem ironed out yet. Nothing feels standardized. Youve got large differences in performance from brand to brand and theres craploads of brands. Then you've got the odd little issues like the garbage collection that so far everyone has taken a different aproach to. Then you've got intel who has this strange massive lead in one way and not in another. Plus the capacities arent quite right to their prices. I need about a 150-200gb MIN for game/OS.

I am waiting probably about 6 months to a year before adopting. Standards need to come into play, performance brand vs. brand needs to equalize, prices per gb need to come down, and general confusion needs to subside before I jump.
    I'll tell you one thing, its tiny!

I thought newegg had forgotten to send it. Its so small.

Time to plug it in and load OS