Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD Time Yet?

Re: SSD Time Yet?

I have 4 OCZ Vertex drives and a Patriot Extreme.

I prefer the OZC Vertex drives due to the fact that Trim and Garbage Collector actually work with them.

Trim will not work on any of the SSDs that I know of if they are in a RAID configuration, but Garbage Collector will get the job done for the raid drives.

I suggest you check the SSD forums of the drives you are interested in. You will see all of the gripes and complaints plus all of the good things said about each manufacturer.

Also all of the forums explain a lot about how their firmware works and if trim will work with them.

I also do not recommend raid unless you have a ton of money to spent on more that 2 drives and a heck of a good raid adapter card.

I got great bench numbers when I had mine in raid 0 (using on board raid) but the real world apps did not seem to care much.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Darn,

Didn't work. Back to Newegg for another. Helps when one reads the directions with unplugging power and taking the battery out I hope that didn't kill it
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    Darn,

Didn't work. Back to Newegg for another. Helps when one reads the directions with unplugging power and taking the battery out I hope that didn't kill it
    I hear ya man. Electric bills are killing a lot of folders outright, if not cutting production an awful lot. I can afford it and'll keep on going till I croak off or me pockets go bare. The team is sorry to lose ya, but that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    I hear ya man. Electric bills are killing a lot of folders outright, if not cutting production an awful lot. I can afford it and'll keep on going till I croak off or me pockets go bare. The team is sorry to lose ya, but that's life.
    BWM,

What is the better way to fold these days? CPU or GPU or both? Maybe I could turn one folder back on.

New drive early next week.

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

I belleve doing CPU/SMP and GPU at the same time is best. It'll will always milk the maximum points possible from the SMP client and thr GPU clients. The GPU clients finish a LOT of work units per day, thus lots of PPD. The CPU/SMP clients run much slower but provide lots of PPD as well. That's why rigs are set up to both as efficiently as possible. Roughly 10K per box per day, x3 boxes= 30k PPD.

If you are waiting for prices to go down to HDD prices, it NEVER will. The modern day NAND cell cannot scale down in size to match the prices of HDDs of several years ago let along where they will be in several years. I've done the math, I work at Micron so I see numbers/wafer costs, and we will run into Lithography limits well before we get anywhere close to today's HDD $/Gb. Some might say, MLC/3LC/4LC/etc but ECC and the read/write performance hit will not make it feasible let alone the very much reduced cycling.

For SSDs of some sort to compete with HDDs, SSDs will need to store data in some other technology than todays floating gate transistor stack. Maybe some sort of technology storing the state on the rotation of the spinning election, only then will silicon SSDs be able to get down to the mainstream costs of HDDs.

Its offical,

At least with a fresh install of Windows 7. The system is so much faster with this drive. I'm very happy with it right now. Game loads and boot times are crazy fast.

Strange using a 150 raptor as a backup drive

Still way too short of standardized in design for my blood, but I'm patient for maturity to arrive. And it will eventually.

It's not SSD time for me yet. I am on the brink of ordering a Toshiba R600 ultra-light laptop through my university's awesome preferential pricing scheme for students/staff; but even so, the $$$ difference between one with the default 250GB HDD and optional 128GB SSD is so substantial that I simply can't justify the 'upgrade'.

More than desktops,I want SSDs in my laptops- the security of shock resistance making the computer truly 'mobile' (yeah, i know about the laptop HDDs with the shock absorber/head parking, but they still don't compare ).

I would almost order an SSD, but I'm still holding out hope for battery-backed hybrid drives using volatile memory with a flash backup.

I'm afraid I'd chew through an SSD too fast, I tend to abuse my HDDs..though they last quite awhile!

I'll probably turn on my GPU FAH client again this winter, but I'm also having an electrical bill issue.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

for you folks down there paying an arm and a leg its always worth it to upgrade to power efficient hardware asap. for us too, but it takes 2-3 times as long to get our cash back from the initial investment

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

I'd like to try one in my work station but I know it'd croak off very quickly under its hellish workload. Probably gonna be a couple years, maybe as long as 3, before they're really ready for that. Even then, how much can they really stretch the write cycle caps? Maybe not without brand new solid state devices.

I'm on all 80+ equipment, I believe it falls under the bronze category now.

I'm not sure how much it raised the electric bill, but the words upon the receiving of the bill by the bill payer were uh... LOL
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

I fall over backwards first elec bill of every summer after the A/C kicks in. Its bad enough in winter with all these high-power folding rigs and big Sun workstation going 24/7, then add in the central A/C. Painful

well all i can say if forget more ram and faster cpu etc

this drive has made the most noticable speed up ever in mt pc experience
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    8 GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850
    SILENCER 610 WATT