Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD Time Yet?

Re: SSD Time Yet?

I soooo want one, but I'm paranoid about losing data. To the point I tend to purchase drives in pairs and RAID-1 them for the first year.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Me too man. Its messing me up too. I'm using two separate NAS RAID-1 setups now but I'm not jumping on the SSD bandwagon until the standards process is done. I think the pressure is heating up for that to get done so maybe it won't be the typical 3 year process time

Quote Originally Posted by wonkanoby View Post
    well all i can say if forget more ram and faster cpu etc

this drive has made the most noticable speed up ever in mt pc experience
    Agree all the way. Getting new drives that really ARE a lot better than what I had have always made the biggest real-world improvement. SSD can't miss doing the same. I just worry like hell about the write cycle limits cuz my NAS drives get beaten up pretty bad every day, and that's where I want the SSD's to go. Definitely not gonna waste 'em on the windows boxes because all they do is fold. But for the workstation, ought to be a BIG eye opener.

Great Article:

A must read. Looks like I made a mistake

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...spx?i=3631&p=1
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

Maybe for the present, but there's still some time to go until a standard is adopted, which can easily make the title of best change hands in a real hurry.

My own experience with SSDs wasn't that great. I went with the OCZ Vertex 30GB-er. Some bulleted notes:

- a new P35 MSI mainboard would not function with the Vertex attached.
    - Acronis would not maintain sector alignment after restore (NO fault of drive - finally found DriveImage XML which does)
    - first Vertex developed bad sectors after about a month
    - On both "defective" and new, working Vertex, there is a 50% chance of the operating system NOT booting after a fresh install of XP. Half the time, the OS can not be found.

The best way to summarize my experience with the OCZ Vertex is A LOT of flakiness. I have it in my business box and I'm very worried about it developing bad sectors. My first Vertex really shattered the 50 gazillion hours MTBF spec!

The rig is pretty zippy but the speed increase is nowhere near commensurate with the difference in read speeds. Boot/load times are not that much faster than a good 7200rpm HDD.

From a business or marketing perspective, I think SSDs are a very tough sell. It's not like spinners, where you just install them in your box and go. Having an SSD is a lot like having a high-maintenance girlfriend.

My video "tribute" to Armed Assault.

It's not like spinners, where you just install them in your box and go. Having an SSD is a lot like having a high-maintenance girlfriend.
    I have 4 Computers running SSDs. 2 Intel systems and 2 AMD systems. I also run XP, Vista and Windows 7.

I did not bother with alignment or any other tweaks, just installed the drives, installed the operating systems and went for it.

They all work as prescribed and I have yet to have a problem with them.

HDTach shows the same results for all 4 SSDs so I am happy with the results.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I bought a Summit 60gb and 120 gb from newegg days before the article on Anandtech came out talking about problems with the Samsung controllers... fortunately both of these drives have the latest firmware with garbage collection.... I have the 60 gb working as a C drive on a Win7 RC1 system and the 120gb on Macbook Snowleapard....... very pleased with both so far, but from what I've read If I could go back I might opt for the Intel m25 g2s.... but they are unavailable for reasonable prices right now.....

Can't complain about performance so far... but only used them for one week.

Dan

Big WOW factor.

I replaced my 5400RPM drive in my laptop (ACER 8920G) with an OCZ Vertex 120 last night.

Boot time went from 4-5 minutes to under 1 minute.

I had cloned the OCZ from my 5400 so everything was the same. (Windows 7)

Made an amazing difference in overall performance.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I did not bother with alignment or any other tweaks, just installed the drives, installed the operating systems and went for it.
    Richard, are you saying that you didn't flash your bios, set up sector alignment with a third-party tool, use wiper and sprinkle pixie-dust on your drive on a monthly basis to make sure everything works right???

I'm glad you're having no problems but I consider SSDs to be not quite to the point of "plug and go". As a matter of fact, if you read the posts at the OCZ forums, you can't leave without the impression that these drives are "high-maintenance". I have to admit I found a significant speed improvement with sector alignment.

My video "tribute" to Armed Assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiles4 View Post
    Richard, are you saying that you didn't flash your bios, set up sector alignment with a third-party tool, use wiper and sprinkle pixie-dust on your drive on a monthly basis to make sure everything works right???

I'm glad you're having no problems but I consider SSDs to be not quite to the point of "plug and go". As a matter of fact, if you read the posts at the OCZ forums, you can't leave without the impression that these drives are "high-maintenance". I have to admit I found a significant speed improvement with sector alignment.
    I found that more than one of my OCZ products turned out to be "high maintenance" (FTW- a jump drive and Platinum memory). I think they have some QC issues in a couple of areas- this might be one. If you can, you might sample another vendor and see....
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

yes.. I did a plug and play thing with my OCZ drives. All of my Vertex drives came with FW 1.3 on them so no need to flash the BIOS.

Vista and Windows 7 self align so no problem there.

Yes I run wiper once a month to keep the SSDs up to speed.

For my XP computer I probably should have done the alignment but it seems to work great the way it is.

Next time I have to format I will probably take the time to do a alignment.

As it is right now the SSD is a clone of the old HDD. I could be wrong here but it is my understanding that if you clone the drive you lose any alignment you might have done.

As far as high maintenance goes I believe that has something to do with tinkeritis that some people seem to be afflicted with. (not all but some)

I have SSDs in 2 amd computers, 2 intel computers, and 1 laptop and have not had a problem that was not self induced. (Had never used raid 0 before and screwed it up a couple of times while I learned)
    Last edited by richardd43; 09-11-2009 at 09:54 PM.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Windows 8

I've been using the Summit for about a month, it's a good drive.

I have the latest firmware with trim turned off and windows 7 tuning. Using tony-trim once a week I don't regret the purchase, especially with the cost of memory now and how SSD prices have increased.

I am now running ACHI and I think funny enough the drive was faster in regular IDE/SATA Mode.

I still hold to the fact the SSD upgrade is the one you see and feel a noticeable speed increase. I would suggest OCZ Vertex or Intel drives.

Last edited by undersea; 01-01-2010 at 10:19 AM.

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

My RAID-1 WD1001FALS post 137MB/s read speeds, and they don't wear down with age.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Windrunner View Post
    My RAID-1 WD1001FALS post 137MB/s read speeds, and they don't wear down with age.
    Raids are great, but not this fast. What brand of HD do you have that doesn't fail? I want one