Quick memory question

I'm planning on purchasing a new computer and the motherboard with it has 4 memory slots for DDR3 1600(oc) memory. It's Dual Channel so at first I was only getting the 2x2gb 1600 memory, but I noticed they have 3 sticks for slightly more. All the the sticks are the same, my question is, would I be losing overall efficiency by getting 3 instead of just the 2?

I wanted more than just 4gb of ram but I don't want to waste money on a 3rd if it's just going to slow me down. Also read theres a memory controller overload possibility with too much of this ram(claims 4 sticks but questioning 3)

Any helps appreciated, read the FAQ about this but it's still hard to make a determination with all the examples they give..

Re: Quick memory question

The 3 sticks are more than likely for a triple channel setup which is specifically for the Intel Core i7 platform. You can use this but it would not be ideal in a dual channel enviroment. For a dual channel enviroment like yours to function properly you need an even amount of installed memory (aka 2 or 4 sticks). 4 Sticks can tend to be a bit slower than two and I wouldnt recommend it unless you feel you need that much memory. You also run into the issue of the memory playing nice with each other. It isnt a huge deal but if youre never geting close to utilizing the 4GB it isnt worth the hassle.

Re: Quick memory question

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    The 3 sticks are more than likely for a triple channel setup which is specifically for the Intel Core i7 platform. You can use this but it would not be ideal in a dual channel enviroment. For a dual channel enviroment like yours to function properly you need an even amount of installed memory (aka 2 or 4 sticks). 4 Sticks can tend to be a bit slower than two and I wouldnt recommend it unless you feel you need that much memory. You also run into the issue of the memory playing nice with each other. It isnt a huge deal but if youre never geting close to utilizing the 4GB it isnt worth the hassle.
    Alright thanks a bunch, I'll save myself some money and just stick with the 2 sticks.

Most games and daily computer tasks don't even need as much as 4gb it seems as of yet. I'll just upgrade to more in the future if necessary. Thanks again.