Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

computer stops at 'Verifying DMI Pool Data......."

so i while fixing a computer that wouldnt power up. After replacing the mobo, Ram, CPU and PSU i go to boot up to the windows XP installation on the hard drive and it stops at "verifying DMI pool data"

i tried clearing CMOS but still the same problem
    i also ran a chkdsk in the windows recovery console but it said there was no problems with the volume.

anything else i should do?

Re: computer stops at 'Verifying DMI Pool Data......."

Try clearing cmos again, this way:

- disconnect all power cables from PSU to mobo
    - remove the cmos battery
    - place jumper in the CLEAS position.
    - reconnect only what is necessary to try to make it POST

wait a few minutes, then put everything back together, making SURE the CMOS jumper is back in NORMAL before trying to boot again.

If that fails try running the HD manufacturer's diags on the drive.

clearing CMOS that way worked.... to a certain degree.

it gets past Verifying DMI Pool data but now it hangs up at

AMD Data Change....Update New data to DMI! update Sucess

but stays there. I did a little reading and was wondering if going into the recovery console and using FIXMBR or FIXBOOT would do me any good.

Do you have any add-n cards in that PC? Such as sound cards or networking cards? Try removing those and see how you go. If it's bailing up at the DMI pool, it sounds like you need to resolve hardware issues before worrying about fixing any Windows issues.

yeah i removed the wireless network card. i think it might be an incompatibility between the cpu and the bios. gonna try flashing it to the newest version.

It is also possibly an interrupt sharing issue. If you're using an older board with PCI/AGP slots, then you'll need to check the motherboard manual for a table on PCI INTerrupts. That'll tell you which slots are being shared with other slots and which ones aren't.

its actually a new board. Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H, and no cards are plugged into any pci slots.

I flashed the bios to the newest version because i thought it might have been an incompatibility with the processor but still the same issue.

i unplugged everything and i think it got past the Verifying DMI Pool Data step because it gave me the System Disk Error: insert system disk and press enter message so i think the MBR or somethin with the HDD is messed up.

idk its late and ive been working on this all day so i might not be thinking straight

be sure to check your boot priority. if you also have another hd or a usb thumb drive attached it may be looking at one of them for the os.

ud

flakey booting with bare bones? I'd make sure PSU is up to par.. all psu cables are plugged in good... check 1 stick of memory check for bent pins on CPU.

I just re-read your post. Seems you got it working.. your hard drive just needs an OS on it.

your not expecting windows to boot after the change?

what board was it before
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    8 GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850
    SILENCER 610 WATT

comatose,

On that gigabyte board, is there an option in bios to reset dmi?

Laterz,
    dafanman

Click on Pic for Dafanman's Specs

Forum Rules
    Gigabyte New Owners Guide
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

Also, check to see if you have an IPOD hooked up to it via USB. I had a problem with my laptop trying to boot windows off the ipod I had forgotten was attached. It got hooked up at the same spot. Once I disconnected the ipod it booted fine.

Seems to me that the processor is fine if you're making POST, but could be the motherboard or ram. If you're trying to install a fresh copy of windows make sure CD/DVD is at the top of your boot sequence and make sure that the hard drive has been initialized.

Mine hangs there too, but only when I have changed some setting in the BIOS that it apparently does not like. Change them back and all is well. Do you have the lasted BIOS of F4?

I am having the same issue with my computer. After installing Windows 7 x64, Windows 7 x86, Vista x64 and Vista x86 my computer hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool Data. I tried all the suggestions of resetting the CMOS and defaulting the BIOS to no avail.

I installed XP x86 and it boots fine. So I upgraded the BIOS to the newest version and did an upgrade to Vista x86 nad found exactly the same problem. I have removed everything connected by usb.

My computer is Acer Aspire L5100
    AMD Phenom X4 9150e
    2 x 2GB RAM
    750GB SATA HDD
    ATI Radeon X1250

Any suggestions?

Hi all,
    I have the same problem.

I have fixed it a number of times using what you suggest in your replies.

It keeps coming back with a new problem after a few hours / days/ weeks.

Lately it comes back after every bootup.

I have traced it to a virus from "Total Security" which downlods a virus onto your system and waits until you try some version of spyware removal before executing and placing a corruption on the hard drive sector at startup.

If you look at your drive in BIOS you will see CAMCUNG instead of SAMSUNG for your drive (or whatever make you have) Mixtor insted of MAXTOR etc.

The drive change happens only when the Update new data to DMI occurs as it writes a corrupt heading on the drive.

Resetting the BIOS works to reset the drive name, but when yo run setup it writes the drive name back again corrupt.

First question:
    What I want to know is How do I reset what is written to the AMD data change when it updates new data, and where is this new data stored??

If anyone can answer this, I think all our problems will be solved.

PS. I have gone through 6 Drives and each one was reformatted checked inside out for purity and passed all tests for viruses only to start some period later with this fault .

I run a number of computers and the only way I know to keep them safe is to run Malwarebytes antimalware on the computer once I get in there. THE QUICK RUN VERSION ONLY as the full version kicks off the virus, as does any malware exe program.

This keeps your computer "safe" as long as you don't try to run any other virus programs, otherwise you are back to AMD data change as soon as you hit the enter key.

Don't konow if this helps any of you, but I could really do with an answer as this is something I could do without.

Second question:

How do I find out who these "total Security people are and how do I eliminate them from what they are doing to many users.