Minimum hardware requirements to boot into bios?

Like the title says: What is the minimum hardware required to boot into the bios on an Asus M4A79T-Deluxe?

I just ordered a AMD 965 and a Asus M4A79T-Deluxe MB. I know that the bios that it will be shipped with will not give me full functionality and I will need to update ASAP. I think the system will boot into bios if I have bios 902 as it supports the 955. From I what I have read some of the recent MB have shipped with this bios. I just don't want to mount the MB in a case until I resolve this.

I am thinking all I need to get to the bios and update are:

1. PSU connected to 8 pin & 24 Pin, board has a power and reset button so I shouldn't have to connect a power switch but I do have a switch rigged up If I need it.
    2. CPU & Cooler (will use stock cooler for simplicity)
    3. 1 memory module
    4. Video Card
    5. Keyboard
    6. USB flash drive with latest bios plugged into the back of the MB.
    7. Small Speaker (Probably not absolutely required but will aide in trouble shooting)

Do I need anything else. I intend to do this on a table top covered with a huge towel.
    Last edited by curlysir; 08-17-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Added Speaker

Re: Minimum hardware requirements to boot into bios?

Looks like you should be fine, provided the board will update from the USB drive.

Quote Originally Posted by wdb1966 View Post
    Looks like you should be fine, provided the board will update from the USB drive.
    If I can get into the bios it should. I have found that updating from within the bios is the best way to do it on the current Asus boards.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Most likely you will just get an undetected CPU at first while it boots then you can flash and it should be ok.

Don't get rid of the orig CPU until the flash is done. There's NO guarantee it'll boot at all with an unsupported CPU.

id have a nice ups backing me up just in case

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    Don't get rid of the orig CPU until the flash is done. There's NO guarantee it'll boot at all with an unsupported CPU.
    That's the problem, I don't have a fully supported CPU for the new MB. It is a AM3, all my other CPU's are AM2. I will flash the old AM2 MB before I install the AM3 in it, but the AM2 won't fit in the AM3 board.

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
    id have a nice ups backing me up just in case
    I have a separate UPS on each of my systems. Learnt that lesson the hard way!

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Most likely you will just get an undetected CPU at first while it boots then you can flash and it should be ok.
    I hope so or as others have reported the CPU is misidentified but they were able to boot into bios and upgrade. Either way I will know tomorrow, if UPS doesn't lose/damage the package.

Quote Originally Posted by curlysir View Post
    That's the problem, I don't have a fully supported CPU for the new MB. It is a AM3, all my other CPU's are AM2. I will flash the old AM2 MB before I install the AM3 in it, but the AM2 won't fit in the AM3 board.
    Do you have a CPU that the mobo will boot up with?? If yes they use it to do the BIOS update and you'll be ok. Otherwise, beg/steel/borrow one that will boot normally, then do the flash, return the CPU to its owner. Otherwise...... I'd quit mess'n with it unless a BIOS update is known to fix a specific problem you DO have with that mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    Do you have a CPU that the mobo will boot up with?? If yes they use it to do the BIOS update and you'll be ok. Otherwise, beg/steel/borrow one that will boot normally, then do the flash, return the CPU to its owner. Otherwise...... I'd quit mess'n with it unless a BIOS update is known to fix a specific problem you DO have with that mobo.
    No, I do not have a CPU that will fit the new board other then the one I have ordered with the board. I'm hoping that the board will at least boot into bios with the new CPU. Where I live (rural) there are very few if any that would even know what I was talking about. None of my neighbors even have computers and the few computer shops close by are a couple years behind on current technology.

I need the bios update for the M4A79T to support the new 965. The bios that MB's are shipping with do not support the new 965. I really don't have an option of not updating. From what I have read in my research is that I have a very good chance of the MB booting into bios and being able to update.

Everything went good. MB had bios 1202, got normal error message to press F1 or F2 to load defaults. Got into bios and went straight to the load bios utility and it loaded fine. CPU showed as 965 with 1202 bios but not supposed to be fully supported until 1303.

Anyway everything looks good, Now to mount it in case. Upgrading from a M3A79-T Deluxe. Same chipset so I'm just going to delete sound and LAN drivers and see if it will boot up.

Finally got the new system up and running. Had the normal startup problems with USB. Keyboard and mouse wouldn't work. Had to dig out my old PS2 mouse adapter so I could install drivers. Once I got past that hurdle everything went ok. Only new drivers I had to install were the LAN and sound everything else is the same. Now to tweak the memory to 1600. Running at 1333 now.

Running cool & quiet like I did with the 9950 and the 965 is running several degrees cooler then the 125 watt 9950 at stock settings using the same cooler in the same case..

Quote Originally Posted by curlysir View Post
    Finally got the new system up and running. Had the normal startup problems with USB. Keyboard and mouse wouldn't work. Had to dig out my old PS2 mouse adapter so I could install drivers. Once I got past that hurdle everything went ok. Only new drivers I had to install were the LAN and sound everything else is the same. Now to tweak the memory to 1600. Running at 1333 now.

Running cool & quiet like I did with the 9950 and the 965 is running several degrees cooler then the 125 watt 9950 at stock settings using the same cooler in the same case..
    Good for you

For the USB probs, go into BIOS and check that DOS and/or legacy USB support is enabled. Should fix that problem.

Not sure if cool 'n quiet has anything to do with this but ya can always try turning that off to make sure.