Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

for those nVIDIA GPU-Folders with 2D clock problems

It's time for you to upgrade to 190.38 now too. In it you can go to the nvidia control panel and force it to run certain programs at full power no matter what. The new tech is called adaptive power control. It's under 3d settings.

from a post of 4ndr3w here: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.ph...10668&start=15

EDIT: NOTE: for those not in the know about this problem, some GPU cards have a '2D clock' feature (energy saving) which can kick in unwanted, certainly for those amongst us who want that card Folding at full speed at any time (meaning with the '3D clock' speed setting) !

Last edited by noorman; 08-30-2009 at 10:07 AM.

Why we are Folding - Movie
    Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

Re: for those nVIDIA GPU-Folders with 2D clock problems

If you don't want to upgrade drivers just yet, a similar thing can already be done in Rivatuner using the "force constant performance level" tab, you'll need to go into power user settings to enable it though, it's there, but "greyed out" by default.
    Fold with what you have,
    Every Work Unit can make a difference.

Question ffor ya: not knowing any better, I used the stock nvidia drivers CD that came with the cards to build the GPU folding part of the rigs. Also stock drivers that came with the mobo. Anything wrong there?

I don't remember seeing the thing you just mentioned so please describe its location again, or post a snapshot of it if possible. I prefer my vid cards going full bore arom bootup without intervention. Thanks

Get'n back to work now. Have fun froggies

hmmwent in there, got lost, looked at the clocks and remmebered that they were always were theyre supposed to be(unless i downclocked it manually)

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
    hmmwent in there, got lost, looked at the clocks and remmebered that they were always were theyre supposed to be(unless i downclocked it manually)

Some cards (like my 9800GTX+ cards) don't have the 2D clock feature, so they never clock 'down' to that level, even if your system sits just on the desktop all day long ...

The more recent cards usually have this feature as an Energy saver item !

Last edited by noorman; 08-23-2009 at 04:16 AM. Reason: typo corr.

Why we are Folding - Movie
    Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

The only time it becomes an issue is when a Wu EUE's for whatever reason, when it starts the next Wu it displays something like "working with standard optimisation settings" (or something like that), if your card has different 2D/3D clock settings it will run on 2D clocks until manually restarted, may even need a complete reboot to go back to 3D clocks, on some cards there's a big difference in performance when that happens...
    Fold with what you have,

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    The only time it becomes an issue is when a Wu EUE's for whatever reason, when it starts the next Wu it displays something like "working with standard optimisation settings" (or something like that), if your card has different 2D/3D clock settings it will run on 2D clocks until manually restarted, may even need a complete reboot to go back to 3D clocks, on some cards there's a big difference in performance when that happens...
    It doens't necessarily have to have a failed WU, have had several incidents where it would run at "half speed" at change over.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Have y'all got yer drivers set to force 3D clock speeds etc on windoz startup?? Or is this a problem associated only with 88xx 89xx series cards?? Hasn't happened to me yet, but I have mine set to force everything full-bore on startup. Might help someone.

Can happen with any card that has 2D/3D clock speeds that hav'nt been "forced" into permanent 3D mode,
    Newer drivers that noorman linked to will do it, Rivatuner will do it also...
    If you look down the Rivatuner homepage here:
    http://www.guru3d.com/category/rivatuner/
    You'll see " force constant performance level" in the system tweaks panel, but greyed out,
    you'll need to go into the power user settings to enable it, the set to "3D clock speed"..
    Last edited by Jester; 08-24-2009 at 08:33 AM.
    Fold with what you have,

Hmmm....... evidently one can do exactly the same now using "EGVA Precisiion.... including force 3d mode/clocks with winders startup. Very simple setup, can't hardly miss seeing how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    Hmmm....... evidently one can do exactly the same now using "EGVA Precisiion.... including force 3d mode/clocks with winders startup. Very simple setup, can't hardly miss seeing how to do it.
    Okay I'm not seeing it!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

lemmee make a screen snapshot for ya so it'll be easier to explain the procedure. Soon as I can get to it. Might be a driver dependent feature, I dunno.

Ok, here we go. Here's the evga overclockers panel

1 - note the small rectangular with the clock speeds in them.
    2 - note the screwy looking thing with two red indicators on it that says "Link"
    3- click the thing to unlock that link, click apply.
    4 - make sure you have clicked "apply at windows startup" to show RED then click apply.
    5 - now enter the 3D clocks you want, one by one, into the spaces on the right end of their respective sliders. Type them in instead of using the finicky sliders, click APPLY when satisfied.
    6 tuen off the fan speed auto mode bu clicking the thing to the far right of the % rpm display.
    7 - force it to 100%, click apply again.
    8- click other buttons (funny looking things) to see what else is there, but make sure to set it up so that those panels with those settings are forced ON when windows starts up.

That's the way everything is done on that panel. Recommend ignoring the graaphs on the left for getting numbers. They won't agree with what you entred. Ok for viewing trends though.

Clicking HELP at any time pulls up EVGA's relevant help page from its site so dun hesitate to use it.

Brad

you could also run expertool. very nice utility, works on anything nvidia i tried.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Well soirs, what cun me say. Tried riva tuner right after da nvidia stuff. nvidia seemed more straight to the point for what I needed, so das what me settled on. Coulda been dat one hammer frum yesturdae though