Thread: Boinc News

Lightbulb Boinc News

I'm starting this so we have a single thread in which you can post all the news from the world of Boinc.

Re: Boinc News

With the release of Boinc 6.10.0 client, ATI graphics card now have official support. In order to utilize this projects have to update the server software and write a ATI specific application. It currently works with Collatz and the opti app at Milkyway.

I found the following information about which cards are supported:
    Q: Will the AMD FireStream SDK work on previous generation hardware?

A: To run the CAL/Brook+ SDK, you need a platform based on the AMD R600 GPU or later. R600 and newer GPUs are found with ATI Radeontm HD2400, HD2600, HD2900 and HD3800 graphics board.
    Boinc 6.10.0 is a development release so there are bound to be some bugs. Some people have reported increased performance using Nvidia cards with this version. Scheduling problems are also common.

GPUGrid has done it again.

I got to work today and checked on my main GPUGrid computer (3 x GTX260s) and found it was out of work. Upon checking the Boinc messages I found the old cell processor message. Since I was busy I didn't check the status but figured it just out of work again and let it go. I just finished doing my research on it and it seems that there is a new minimum driver requirement. This in itself is not so bad but the following quote is all that shows from the GPUGrid news.

News
    Suggested client version
    August 20, 2009
    The suggested BOINC client version is now 6.6.36.
    Windows application updated to CUDA2.2
    July 31, 2009
    We have updated the Windows application (version 6.67) to cuda2.2
    Nowhere does it say anything about the new driver requirement. I only found it by digging through the message boards. I don't usually have time to go through all the message boards of the projects I run. This is the second time this has happened that I know of. I complained last time and was told that things would be done different the next time there was a change in requirements. Effective Thursday when I go back to work I'll be pulling all my support for GPUGrid.

Milkyway now has an official Cuda application. It is for 32 bit Windows and you will need a double precision card (compute capability 1.3) and 190.xx drivers.

CUDA Application Released
    August 26, 2009
    The CUDA application has been released on BOINC, please see this thread for more information. The Milkyway@Home team appreciates your patience in reaching this milestone. This code has been implemented and tested on the GeForce GTX 285 donated by NVIDIA to the Milkyway@Home research team.
    I don't know about performance but I'll try to get it running on 1 rig today to see.

It seems that Sudoku has given up the ghost. There has been no work for a couple of years and now the web site has been down for a while. Since this was run on a university network, I figure somebody decided to pull the plug on it's resources.

It may well be that Orbit is dead too. No work in a year and a half. Web page not updated since Feb. and no responses in the forums. And all this with ASA funding.

Superlink@Technion is hoping to have a working Cuda aplication by the end of the year.

Freehal seems to have dried up and blown away too.

Aqua only wants high performance multi core crunchers and they have droped Cuda for now. Here's the Quote:

AQUA's complex work units have meant extremely long running times, especially on slower systems. This has been a problem for volunteers as well as the project managers. We have been working intensely on improving the efficiency of our applications. One major achievement has been very high CPU utilization on multi-core computers. But this solution will not be of any use on single core CPUs. We appreciate all of our volunteers and their help, but sincerely believe that slower machines can be of much more benefit in BOINC projects with shorter running work units. For this reason AQUA will no longer send work units to single core CPUs. Hyper-threading CPUs are supported, though. Should we again release a CUDA version of our application, single core CPUs will be supported if the system has a CUDA card. Vectorization of our code also implies that SSE2 support is a requirement for running AQUA's applications.

Virtual Prairie has some Work Units available for a change if anyone is interested.

Einstein now has a beta Cuda application that is available for testing. The thread about it is here. The anouncement is

A new Einstein@home CUDA App for Windows is available for Beta Test at Beta Test Page.

We stumbled over some bugs in the CUDA part that might have caused some segfaults, so this is mainly a bugfix release. Also too the CPU part of the App now uses SSE, like in the .09 Beta Apps.

Please test and report, and please include important information (like the NVIdia Driver and Core Client version) in your posts.

BM
    The appliction and directions for using it are here.

Quote Originally Posted by Big red View Post
    Freehal seems to have dried up and blown away too.
    Freehal is doing ok, I'm running at least 20 wu's at the moment. The servers are down frequently but it's far from dead.

Quote Originally Posted by ai5000 View Post
    Freehal is doing ok, I'm running at least 20 wu's at the moment. The servers are down frequently but it's far from dead.
    Good, I stand corrected.

Milkyway Cuda update.

I took a q6600 quad and a GTX260 for a test spin. I did a fresh install of XP Pro with 190.62 drivers and Boinc 6.6.36. The test was conducted using only the Gpu and no Cpu tasks were run. After 24 hours that computer had earned 15,442 credits. A respectable result compared to GPUGrid but considerably less that I expected from Milkyway. Several people reported problems but I must admit that I didn't see any. Most of the problems seem to occur when running multiple Gpu projects.