Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Core i5 750 vs Amd Phenom 2 X4 955BE

Core i5 750 vs Amd Phenom 2 X4 955BE

They cost the same, so who brings better performance?

Re: Core i5 750 vs Amd Phenom 2 X4 955BE

Intel does plain and simple
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

I'll probably be doing a Core i5 750 rig in November, once I know how Dragon Age Origins performs on my current rig.

I even have the motherboard picked out already, after seeing reviews/previews on the motherboard, and will be getting 8GB's of DDR3 1066 memory, and a 28inch Viewsonic VX2835wm widescreen gaming monitor, along with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition. The motherboard will be the ASUS P7P55D Deluxe, which will be very much on the market in early November.

unless i read things wrong, the i5 can do sli or crossfire at 8x ...so maybe thats a game breaker

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Not worried about Crossfire or SLI being possibly 8X bandwidth only. I get that right now on my 975XBX2, and really haven't seen a difference between 8X and 16X bandwith for Crossfire and SLI that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    Not worried about Crossfire or SLI being possibly 8X bandwidth only. I get that right now on my 975XBX2, and really haven't seen a difference between 8X and 16X bandwith for Crossfire and SLI that I know of.
    let me look for the one link...

dam cant find it. at low rez(who uses those nowadays) the difference is not that big but cranck it up and itll pull away.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your

scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board

If I got them both standard, no overclocking Sli,crossfire etc. Which will perform better?

i would stil lthink the intel. what margin? depends on what apps you will run.
    bang for the buck it kills the i7. but its still high.

of no board

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
    let me look for the one link...

dam cant find it. at low rez(who uses those nowadays) the difference is not that big but cranck it up and itll pull away.
    I play plenty of games with the rez cranked up to the max that my 3870's can take, and don't have any problems at all. Part of the factor is the cpu and memory that one has too, I think.

I'm looking at getting the i5 in either Oct or Nov after we hear about the new
    ATI 5870 card. (As in, the official specs from AMD and a few reviews.)

I'm going to build myself an all-out badass as a reward for 15 years of military
    service. 5 more to go until I get some much needed hippie time.

I'm already running Windows 7 (NICE!) and I'll be throwing 8 gigs in that baby.

Newest Article: PC Gaming Superiority
    http://richardmccord.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    I play plenty of games with the rez cranked up to the max that my 3870's can take, and don't have any problems at all. Part of the factor is the cpu and memory that one has too, I think.
    At realistic resolutions, your GPU will be more important. EIther CPU will be adequate. You may want to factor in mobo feature set and price also when comparing platforms. I will admit though, it's very hard to make an argument in favor of any AMD CPU over 200$.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    At realistic resolutions, your GPU will be more important. EIther CPU will be adequate. You may want to factor in mobo feature set and price also when comparing platforms. I will admit though, it's very hard to make an argument in favor of any AMD CPU over 200$.
    Agreed, but imo AMD should respond with a price cut again ... soon.

The motherboard, that I chose is the P7P55D Deluxe from ASUS. That has everything I could ever want on a motherboard, including really decent sound consisting of the VIA VT2020 chip, which reviews and previews say can and usually does rival soundcards. It has 6 SATA 2 ports on the Intel controller, an IDE port and two SATA 2 ports on a JMicron controller, and 1 more SATA 2 port on another JMicron controller. Need the IDE ports, as I'm not ready to give up my IDE DVDROM and IDE DVDBURNER with Lightscribe yet. 1 external SATA port

I've seen the specs on the P7P55D Deluxe on the ASUS website, and in a review over at Guru3D.

I can't really justify an AMD cpu, when the Core i5 750 is going to have a suggested retail price of $199.99 USD.

It's not really a question of performance. As it stands right now, these processors are so fast, they have barely any relevance in the real world other than benchmarks and people doing huge math intensive work, like, CAD, and rendering and what not. Intel has an edge in that department.

Real world you and me gaming, and multitasking. It's more of a placebo effect brought on by brand loyalty. IMO these two chips are about the same in real world applications. Gaming is only limited to your GPU, and perhaps your ram. I mean, 4870s are between 110-150~ so realistically that isn't a problem right now either.

I think the real decision you should think over is the longevity of your system. This is the third incarnation of socket introduced in their line. We still have the LGA 775, and 1366. Now we're introduced the 1156. And there's two more to come, I know one of them is for Xeon processors. I'm also reading about i3 and i9 but, that might just be speculation.

The point to all this, isn't rah rah, buy intel, buy amd...more so..If you're going to buy intel..Wait a little while, there's new stuff coming around the corner. There will be another price war between AMD and intel, since AMD now is being threatened by intel offering an i5 for perhaps 30 dollars more than the 955BE.

The advantage of the i5 is, you don't need to run triple channel DDR3, the boards are much cheaper, and they are, according to geekery and benchmarks; faster. Much better architecture, and if they over clock like their big brother, ie: the tried and true i7 920 (the one you should be buying amidst the second wave of price wars coming soon) they'll put a hurting on their old rivals.

The advantage of the Phenom II X3, X4 line is. first of all flexibility, you can save around $125 with a triple core chip, which would suit anyone's needs other than a power workstation. Socket AM3 ain't going nowhere any time soon, and they're about 150-300 dollars cheaper to build around depending on your hardware brand loyalty, and if you're going for an AM3 board, or backwards compatible AM2/2+ board.

I know im going to get benchmarks, and all that synthetic data thrown at me, don't waste your time, I read the same articles, I *know* the intels on average are a bit faster.

But I think an objective opinion is a good thing to see every now and again.

Bottom line is: Intel..WAIT, just a little longer. God only knows what they're going to do with 1366, or 1155, 56....god damnit, whatever it is!

AMD: not a whole lot to worry about, your mobo will last maybe two cpu upgrades. Should be the focus of your build. (like any build, don't cheap out on your mobo!)
    Last edited by pr0nstarz; 09-13-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: triple socket? I mean core. :X

Exactly, either one will be fine ! WTF cares, they are both fast ! Plus I avoid processors over $100 much less 200, anything more is a waste of funds !