Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
  1. #16
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14,223

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    So for 34 dollars they send the retail disk?
    As /\/\adGamer and I have both said, you should be able to get the CD/DVD from the university bookstore. Run the installation off that and you only need to pay online and get you activation code online.

  2. #17
    Joined
    Mar 2004
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,589

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    As /\/\adGamer and I have both said, you should be able to get the CD/DVD from the university bookstore. Run the installation off that and you only need to pay online and get you activation code online.
    Should is the key word there. My school, for example, has yet to finalize a licensing agreement with M$.

  3. #18
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14,223

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    Quote Originally Posted by COMPn00b09 View Post
    Should is the key word there. My school, for example, has yet to finalize a licensing agreement with M$.
    The point is that it's worth asking AFAIK, the educational institutes here in Australia all have it if they are already eligible for these discounts. If your school is still finalising licensing with MS, it may be that as a student with that school, you're not currently eligible for the discount.

  4. #19
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    As /\/\adGamer and I have both said, you should be able to get the CD/DVD from the university bookstore. Run the installation off that and you only need to pay online and get you activation code online.
    So my college bookstore is gonna give me the retail disk and I just pay online for the key?

  5. #20
    Joined
    Dec 2000
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    Anyone heard of getting called out for not being actively enrolled?
    Nuke em'.

  6. #21
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14,223

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    So my college bookstore is gonna give me the retail disk and I just pay online for the key?
    As far as I understand it, yeah. Ask them if they have the CD/DVD and they should hand that over for free.

  7. #22
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,927

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Anyone heard of getting called out for not being actively enrolled?
    They're microsoft. They're probably only checking users, or they're tagging them and they're going to revoke licenses all at once, so suddenly your windows 7 installation will just stop working.

    Lesson here is: Don't pirate, pay to get a full membership into the MSDN and get your copies there. ( If they still have them )

    Edit: Wait, MSDN licensing is only for testing right? Then that's still technically piracy. Might be cheaper to just pay retail for it then.
    My heatware

    Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

  8. #23
    Joined
    Dec 2000
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    Just wondering because I have TWO valid college e-mail addresses. Problem is, I am not currently enrolled in either college (graduated).

    Technically I am therefore not eligible for the program, but I was wondering if they actually check everyone who applies, or can I sneak through and actually get a copy of Win7 Pro for $43 shipped (paid for the actual disc too)??
    Nuke em'.

  9. #24
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    For $30 dollars from Digital River you get an EXE file download which can be extracted and made into bootable ISO (for burning to DVD) using UltraISO or type program. Using UltraISO you will have to get the boot file off of an old Windows 7 RC disk and merge into the extracted Windows 7 file. Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Pro have different boot files. If you don't want to go through the hassle, Microsoft will send you a DVD backup disk for an additional $13 of whatever version you purchased. It is still a good deal and this $30 offer is not an upgrade...it is a full version.

    If it true that all you have to do is call MS and get a full retail for $34, I would go for that deal...$9 cheaper and less hassle. I got mine through digital river and I did not see that option at the time. I managed to muddle through it and burned ISO to DVD which installed with no problem.
    Last edited by linstur; 11-04-2009 at 05:28 PM.

  10. #25
    Joined
    Dec 2000
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    Should I get greedy and go for two copies? One for each e-mail address, and then go for copies of Office Ultimate?

    I'm going to get the wife to snag a couple too if this works out...she also went back to school and has two valid college e-mail addy's.
    Nuke em'.

  11. #26
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,927

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    It's a REALLY bad idea to cheat microsoft using your college e-mail. You won't be the only people who've tried and I'd literally bet money they're going to start sending out e-mails to schools asking if a student is current, then zip, one day your copy of windows stops working when they roll out an update that revokes the license and remove the key from their activation servers.

    Schools really rely on Microsoft's charity, so they're going to jump to cooperate.
    My heatware

    Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

  12. #27
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    I'm not cheating...I am enrolled and paid up for next semester. I am just not attending this semester. Cheating MS?? Who cheats who!!

  13. #28
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14,223

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Should I get greedy and go for two copies? One for each e-mail address, and then go for copies of Office Ultimate?

    I'm going to get the wife to snag a couple too if this works out...she also went back to school and has two valid college e-mail addy's.
    Note the "Am I Eligible" section on this page.

    Quote Originally Posted by linstur View Post
    I'm not cheating...I am enrolled and paid up for next semester. I am just not attending this semester. Cheating MS?? Who cheats who!!
    Let's not go down that path Many of us share the similar opinions, but that doesn't mean that we should go and pirate MS Software.

  14. #29
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,927

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    dreamspark.com is good for when you're actually in a semester, you and your wife will both be able to - after verifying with an organization that DOES check you out - get copies of windows server 2008 R2, which is windows 7 ultimate with a ton of added features and capabilities.

    http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/
    My heatware

    Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

  15. #30
    Joined
    Dec 2000
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Windows 7 - 30$ for students

    Quote Originally Posted by Windrunner View Post
    It's a REALLY bad idea to cheat microsoft using your college e-mail. You won't be the only people who've tried and I'd literally bet money they're going to start sending out e-mails to schools asking if a student is current, then zip, one day your copy of windows stops working when they roll out an update that revokes the license and remove the key from their activation servers.

    Schools really rely on Microsoft's charity, so they're going to jump to cooperate.
    I doubt that. I still have and use a Windows XP Pro volume license that I was given back around 2002 when I was in the CSE program at Michigan State. Microsoft came in and bought the school out and gave everyone anything they wanted save for a copy of Office.

    So if they were and are going to pull a move like that, they'd have done it already. If and when they ask for proof of enrollment, I'll send em' a copy of my diplomas & transcripts...
    Nuke em'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •