Replacing soldiered-on BIOS chip

Has anyone ever sucessfully replaced a soldiered-on BIOS chip?

I have this M2N-SLi deluxe which will not POST. It appears that the earlier M2N-SLi deluxe's had has socketed BIOS chips but the later boards, albeit with the same V1.02G revision, had a fixed BIOS chip.

Can't afford to wait for Asus's 6-week returns delay. It also looks like here in the UK everyone is out of stock of new M2N-SLi deluxes, so can't even buy a new replacement board.

Re: Replacing soldiered-on BIOS chip

There's a place here that will attempt to do it for you, and also has info for diy.
    You really need to be quite experienced with soldering/desoldering though to attempt it yourself.
    http://bios-repair.co.uk/bios/solbios.htm

Soldiering is a skilled task. I have 11 years experience in computers and I have never really tryed. Mabey somthing I should look into trying. Is the one your trying to save a newer motherboard? If so I might look into a professional, if not I would think it is not even worth the time or effort.

If you are going to try. Practice, practice, practice. Get an old dead board and remove then remount some chips for a few days. Be very careful of solder bridges. And use the lowest wattage iron you can. 15watt is the highest I would go with. Get hold of the most powerful magnifying glass you can and inspect all your joints before you power on the board. I have been doing thru-hole soldering for 15yrs and doing surface mount components scares me.
    By reading the preceding post you have agreed to the following PRLA(Post Reader License Agreement).
    Just my opinion,use at you own risk,no guaranty,no warranty,no liability,grain of salt, knock on wood,bla bla bla.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    There's a place here that will attempt to do it for you, and also has info for diy.
    You really need to be quite experienced with soldering/desoldering though to attempt it yourself.
    http://bios-repair.co.uk/bios/solbios.htm
    Thanks CMB that link looks very useful, I have emailed tham.

you need to clean out the soldering and then remove the BIOS Chips carefully and then install same one then fill up each pin very clear - Ive done when I was at work about 15 years ago - it usual very carefully as you better dont lose the ring which sit on board that quite important.