Question Which SSD for me?

I'm debating on which (and whether or not) SSD to get. The 2 that I am thinking about are:

Intel:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167024

Corsair:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233085

I've been reading the reviews and I know that the Intel one is faster, however I like the larger capacity of the Corsair. My intention is to install Win7 on this SSD when it comes out, a few other programs, and 2 games. I'll probably keep my docs on a seperate 1TB RE3 WD HD. Any thoughts, comments?

Re: Which SSD for me?

That's some serious $ for hard drives. Don't want you to kick yourself when they're less than half that price in a year.

Hi

My SSD of choice is the OCZ Vertex 120 with a standard HDD for file storage.
    (The new OCZ Agility is using new nand and is now faster then the Vertex)

Am not sure about the other brands but the next firmware update for OCZ will support TRIM which will be available in Windows 7.

Yes, in a year from now they might be cheaper but in a year everything might be cheaper.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Jesus man... thats some serious dough. Ever think about getting 2 or 4 smaller ones for raid? Might be cheaper too....

Any one know how good raid setups do with these guys? Im not really "in" the SSD game yet.. price points are killing me. Plus with my super old 80gbs i get the same performance if not better than one of these guys so im happy.. (well same performance in most areas.. probaly not random access though hehe.)

EDIT: Also.. check around for pricing.. i heard newegg is pretty rediculous on their pricing.. i believe i heard it here actualy.
    EDIT2: A quick price check shows newegg is about where the should be for pricing.
    Last edited by benefit14snake; 09-28-2009 at 01:22 AM.
    EVGA 790i Ultra
    Intel 9550 @ 3.922ghz 1.2125v
    ATI 4870x2
    OCZ 2x2gb @ DDR1600 7-6-6-21 @ 1.9v
    OCZ Game Xstream 700w
    4x80gb WD Sata2 in Raid 0
    40" Samsung 4071 @ 1080p
    Custom Waterloop on CPU and Video
    Thermaltake Tsunami case (Black)
    7 Ultimate 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by benefit14snake View Post
    Jesus man... thats some serious dough. Ever think about getting 2 or 4 smaller ones for raid? Might be cheaper too....

Any one know how good raid setups do with these guys? Im not really "in" the SSD game yet.. price points are killing me. Plus with my super old 80gbs i get the same performance if not better than one of these guys so im happy.. (well same performance in most areas.. probaly not random access though hehe.)

EDIT: Also.. check around for pricing.. i heard newegg is pretty rediculous on their pricing.. i believe i heard it here actualy.
    EDIT2: A quick price check shows newegg is about where the should be for pricing.
    My understanding of RAID and SSD is that you do get some benefit from it, however I believe it's the Trim function that will be shipping with Win7 will not work with SSDs in Raid. So it will be entirely up to the SSD's firmware to deal with garbage if you put them in raid.

As for the price, yeah, pretty pricey. But given my system, probably the only place where added money will make a noticeable difference.

[System]

Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83 Ghz)
    8 GB Ram
    2x WD RE3 1 TB HDs
    Vista - 64
    EVGA nVidia 280 GTX

My understanding of RAID and SSD is that you do get some benefit from it, however I believe it's the Trim function that will be shipping with Win7 will not work with SSDs in Raid.
    I am a steady reader in the OCZ forum and it is my understanding that with their new firmware update they are getting ready to release trim "should" work in windows 7 with RAID 0

I have had mine in raid 0 and did not see a great performance difference.

For the price on one 128 SSD you can buy a 30G SSD to boot from and put 2 raptors in raid and load your programs there plus have much more storage space.

I say that after I spent the money for 2 SSDs
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I am a steady reader in the OCZ forum and it is my understanding that with their new firmware update they are getting ready to release trim "should" work in windows 7 with RAID 0
    Well I was wrong there.

The new OCZ Vertex 1.4 firmware is out but it does not support trim in raid.

The new firmware does have a more aggressive garbage collector though.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Windows 8

Just for the record - between your two initial choices, the Intel drive stomps all over the Corsair drive.

I hate to link to other sites, but Anand wrote up an *amazing* set of articles about SSDs that anyone who is considering dropping $600 on one should read.

This one is older (march 2009), but basically tells you how SSDs work and why they are incredible. It also explains why the Intel drive is excessively superior to most other drives on the market...at least until TRIM is fully established (late this year for most manufacturers and requires Windows 7+).

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...spx?i=3531&p=1

This is the newer one written quite recently and is a follow up to the first one. This one explains a lot about TRIM performance and what drives to choose given the TRIM choice. I still think that the Intel is greatly superior and you'll thank yourself every day for making the choice, but that's personal opinion - TRIM helps level the playing field whereas before it, everyone except Intel might as well have taken their drives and chucked them all in the landfill.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631

Good luck and enjoy your SSD

Alex

Nowhere do I read the reliability rate for writing to the same memory allocation area over and over again. Somewhere I read that Solid State memory (Nand based) has a nasty problem of failing after so many writes.
    Mind you, there is something called wear leveling which is great idea, which randomly allocates memory in different locations, but it would seem like the device would have a defined lifetime while running windows which is well known for continuously writing to the hard disk for no good reasons.

Great idea, only if they rewrote the OS to fully take advantage of it by omitting alot of redundant memory reallocation schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels303 View Post
    Nowhere do I read the reliability rate for writing to the same memory allocation area over and over again. Somewhere I read that Solid State memory (Nand based) has a nasty problem of failing after so many writes.
    Mind you, there is something called wear leveling which is great idea, which randomly allocates memory in different locations, but it would seem like the device would have a defined lifetime while running windows which is well known for continuously writing to the hard disk for no good reasons.

Great idea, only if they rewrote the OS to fully take advantage of it by omitting alot of redundant memory reallocation schemes.
    In Anand's extensive write ups, he says something about it but it's just too many pages to search through (sigh...a topic like this should not be that complicated). But it was something like (usually) 5 years until they start failing for a consumer level drive, and even then (most) drives have about 7% of their space dedicated to replacing those cells that fail, so you can have a 7% memory cell failure rate without losing any space/data...

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels303 View Post
    Nowhere do I read the reliability rate for writing to the same memory allocation area over and over again. ...
    Certainly, Intel has this problem worked out. They spread each write out thru 10 channels (to get greater bandwidth) AND maintain a table in the drive to track which cells have the least use. Those cells get the next writes. Projected life for home use is said to be 10 years and much longer.

I'm not familiar with the other mfr's work-arounds, but am sure they also do something.