Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

I think Im gonna start folding

So what does my n00bness to this need to know?

Ill try and run it on my rig and my gfs lappy

Im installing it now and Im trying to join pcper team

Also I remember SETI had a button to only allow it to run when CPU was idle, does this have that? I dont want it running while im gaming.

Re: I think Im gonna start folding

itll go down if you use your cpu. try to go with console client, and if you have a g80 or above a gpu client will produce a few k's per day. watch out the heat on the lappy, start with 50% load.
    use console as its got less quirks

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
    itll go down if you use your cpu. try to go with console client, and if you have a g80 or above a gpu client will produce a few k's per day. watch out the heat on the lappy, start with 50% load.
    Im using version 6.23
    Will that use GPU? And if so does it use both GPU and CPU?

Also Ill try the console client but I have no idea what commands to input, which is why im starting with the graphical one.

Lappy right now is only using one core (its a c2d) but if I open the display and it shows the molecule drawing I notice CPU usage goes up to 100%

Also, will it start upon windows boot like steam does for example?

And one more thing about idling, what do you mean it goes down? Will CPU be free if I run something else? Will I get same 3dmark score with folding on?
    Ill install it tomorrow on my gaming rig.
    Last edited by Poci; 10-04-2009 at 03:50 AM.

6.23 is the Windows CPU (based) Client, it doesn't use the GPU card for Folding calculations.
    The CPU Client only uses the CPU cycles that are not used by other apps on your system.
    ( check your CPU temps after start-up to make sure that your system cooling is adequate; Folding asks a lot of your system (if you keep the setting 100% usage) and don't do anything else on the system (what we call dedicated Folding) ...

To use the GPU card for Folding@Home, you need to go to the 2nd download page here: High Performance Clients (see bottom 1st page under High Performance Clients and download a specific Client for your GPU card (check the card's compatibility and make sure to download the latest available drivers for it.
    For nVIDIA you need drivers with CUDA integrated; the latest have this anyway. CUDA is the specific driver software allowing other application software to be run on the cards with high efficiency = cards get hot !
    Check the card's temps from the start to make sure your cooling is OK !

There you 'll find specific Clients for an ATI- and nVIDIA-based GPU chip graphics cards.

If you have more questions after a read-up, just post 'em here

Welcome to Folding@Home

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post

The only problem with the so-called Graphical (CPU) Client is that it uses the graphics card to display F@H in action, but this sometimes clashes with 3D apps you might want to run on your system.
    To avoid this, you can install and use the Console client (non-graphical / for the rest the same).

NOTE: I don't know if this was ever solved, but the older CPU Client versions had a bug; if you 'Paused' the Client for too long (I believe > 3 hours) it dumped the Work in progress and started a new job, loosing the previous work (and credits).
    So, it 's best to just Quit the Client if you think you (really) need it 'down' for some other use ...

Last edited by noorman; 10-04-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo corr.

Good to have you aboard Poci!!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

If you have a dual or quad core, you might want to check out SMP Folding ...
    It 's specifically multi-core (parallel) processing that yields more points than the 'standard' (single) CPU Folding ...

I want a client that will use all 3 of my cores plus my video card

Which one should I get?

Win SMP for the cpu cores and the nVidia grapical client for the gpu You can run both at the same time..
    Turn off the graphical client for gaming. Just remember to turn it back on The cpu is better behaved, rarely will you notice it as it runs in the back ground.

Welcome to flding Poci. If you have trouble finishing units it is time to lower overclocks.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    Win SMP for the cpu cores and the nVidia grapical client for the gpu You can run both at the same time..
    Turn off the graphical client for gaming. Just remember to turn it back on The cpu is better behaved, rarely will you notice it as it runs in the back ground.
    I have to run both? Isnt there a single client that will do both? Also do they have auto start? I dont really want to have to manually turn it on or off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    Welcome to flding Poci. If you have trouble finishing units it is time to lower overclocks.
    Running system at defaults for now till I get a new video card.

In any case what? Folding is a good stability test then I guess?

There 's the (CPU) Client who can be started for a single-core job or for an SMP-job, but because of the huge difference between the software for CPU Folding and GPU Folding (and the historical context), there 's not 1 Client who can do both ...

I think none of us have an auto-starting setup, so IMO it 's a manual jobby only after starting up your system.

If someone of the Team should have a working 'auto-start' setup, we 'd like to hear from him !

Most of us are running dedicated systems that aren't even rebooted for months on end, so we don't care much about that.

Welcome to the Team, Poci!!!

Forget folding on the lappy. It's just too much work baby sitting temperatures. FOcus on the rig, with good airflow.

Your 880gt, will be your best producer. Run the GPU console client on it and see what it produces. Downlaod and install Riva Tuner, and make some for aggressive fan settings to control core temps.

As for the CPU, you can run a single SMP client on the remaining two cores (GPU uses one), or two single clients (longer deadline times, preferably for part time folders). Best is to install VMware, a single Linux guest, and fold witihin. You have enough RAM to do so.
    Last edited by mr_raider; 10-05-2009 at 11:47 AM.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Ok I guess Ill run GPU client as well.

Is the CPU client multithreaded or is there another seperate client for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Ok I guess Ill run GPU client as well.

Is the CPU client multithreaded or is there another seperate client for that?

The (now) standard CPU Client is multi-core (if launched in SMP mode), not multi-threaded.

The GPU client uses all available 'Core' processors in the GPU chip (nVIDIA calls the shaders) and part of the available RAM (on the graphics card)

The use of all the 'shaders' and a batch of RAM - plus all that current running through the onboard Voltage regulators - at full throttle makes the cards go hot, so check the temps f.e. with RivaTuner