Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Huge Onkyo receiver sale at Newegg.

Newegg has every one of their Onkyo receivers on sale.

Example: Onkyo TXSR806-Normal price $999.99-Sale $599.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...404&name=Onkyo

Re: Huge Onkyo receiver sale at Newegg.

I've really been wanting to upgrade my Onkyo TX-SR505 which doesn't support the new BD audio formats and is limited to video only HDMI switching. The Onkyo TX-SR607 (~$400) looks like what I need or maybe the new Onkyo HT-RC160 (~$350). Difficult to tell the differences between some of these models even when comparing on Onkyo's site.

I was expecting to have to spend $500+ but I'm pleasantly surprised to see Onkyo offering receivers with the features I need for about $400.
    Last edited by Lenny; 10-04-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Two very nice 7.2 receivers which support the new BD audio formats and HDMI switching ...

Onkyo HT-RC160 for only $340 with code RECEIVER151. Sale price extended through 10/8/09.

Onkyo TX-SR607 - $400 (special price - end date unknown)

Both are similar but the SR607 has 90 watts instead of 80, an extra HDMI port (on the front) and is SIRIUS ready.

I'm seriously considering the SR607.
    I've heard the price has been $20-30 lower during prior Newegg sales.
    Need to convince myself to pull the trigger before the price goes back up
    Last edited by Lenny; 10-06-2009 at 10:05 PM.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

I ordered the Onkyo HT-RC160 for $340 ($350 - $10 code RECEIVER151). I thought I was going to order the TX-SR607 but in the end the $60 difference wasn't enough to justify the few additional features, none of which I really needed.

I also picked up a 2-pack of 3 foot HDMI 1.3b cables at meritline.com for $7.99 shipped.

I think you made the right choice with that one Lenny. It seems like the better deal to me for what you're getting. This sucks, I really, really need a new receiver but there's abut a dozen other things around the house I have to take care of before I can even consider a new receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    I think you made the right choice with that one Lenny. It seems like the better deal to me for what you're getting. This sucks, I really, really need a new receiver but there's abut a dozen other things around the house I have to take care of before I can even consider a new receiver.
    Do you mean the RC160 over the SR607? I know what you mean about spending priorities. I've wanted a new receiver ever since I got my Blu-ray player (a cheap first gen Magnavox mind you) a year ago and saw how great it looked. I had accepted that at some point I was going to have to spend $500 to get DTS-Master and Dolby TrueHD audio in a new receiver. To get that and 5 HDMI input for $340? Well I'm just thrilled.

I try to be patient with my purchases so I can get good deals. There are so many important things to spend money on that I try not to spend more than I need to on toys. The deals eventually come around if you keep a watch for them. Like my Samsung 61" TV - a 1080p DLP with LED back lighting and a beautiful picture for $1170 shipped AND a free $200 NFLSHOP.COM gift certificate that I'm trying to sell. I still can't believe the deal I got on that TV.

But back on topic - the deal on the Onkyo HT-RC160 ends today unless newegg decides to extend the sale again. Not sure how long the special price on the SR607 will be around (newegg doesn't list a date).

If anyone is interested my receiver shipped from Newegg's NJ warehouse.

So for me that means - ordered today, arrive tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Do you mean the RC160 over the SR607? I know what you mean about spending priorities.
    Sorry, I meant it was a wise choice to go with the RC160. It's the one I'd have gone with, if I had the money.

Onkyo HT-RC160 for only $340 with code RECEIVER151.
    So the 10/8 sale end date has passed. The price is still $350. No sure if the $10 discount code is still valid but the RC160 is now being offered with ...

"Free Onkyo iPhone/iPod dock w/ purchase, limited time offer"

Here is the link to that item:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120152

That sells for $100

What do you think my chances are of calling and getting newegg to give me that since I ordered only yesterday?

So the 10/8 sale end date has passed. The price is still $350. No sure if the $10 discount code is still valid but the RC160 is now being offered with ...

"Free Onkyo iPhone/iPod dock w/ purchase, limited time offer"

Here is the link to that item:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120152

That sells for $100

What do you think my chances are of calling and getting newegg to give me that since I ordered only yesterday?
    I callled newegg and they easily agreed to send me the iPod Dock!

Wow, the Onkyo HT-RC160 receiver for $340 with a free iPod Dock (value $95)

I callled newegg and they easily agreed to send me the iPod Dock!

Wow, the Onkyo HT-RC160 receiver for $340 with a free iPod Dock (value $95)
    Wow, that's awesome Lenny. It doesn't really surprise me that they sent it to you though. Newegg has some incredible CS. Hmmm, I wonder how much I could get for an Ipod dock on Ebay?

Edit: It looks like around $60.00. Soooo tempting now. Bah, I see Newegg raised the price on the RC160 to $380.00.
    Last edited by kbohip; 10-09-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Bummer, it was $350 just a couple hours ago. I might just keep the iPod Dock. Both my kids have an iPod Touch. I guess I'll see if they actually use it and then decide.

The Onkyo HT-RC160 is back down to $350 with the free iPod dock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...L0B-_-82120146

After having this receiver for a week or so here is my quick review:

Pros: very good sound quality, supports tons of sound formats including Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio and Dolby Pro Logic IIz. On screen display, 5 HDMI inputs

Cons: it will convert analog inputs (like component) to HDMI and upconvert those to 1080i but IMO it does an only mediocre job at that. There is a noticeable decrease in video quality. It's better if you select "through" mode which only converts analog to digital HDMI but even then you can tell the difference. The only analog input I have is a Wii and after trying different types of connections I eventually connected it via component directly to the TV with audio through the receiver.

Bottom line: amazing receiver for the price but not recommended if you have a lot of analog input sources that you want to upconvert unless you are willing to accept some amount of video quality degradation.

does the osd show up at all times? like say when watching bluray or hd video?

i know with some of the older sony's the osd would black out the screen, something to do with hdcp i guess?
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    does the osd show up at all times? like say when watching bluray or hd video?

i know with some of the older sony's the osd would black out the screen, something to do with hdcp i guess?
    There are two types of OSD's - the receiver setup OSD and things like on-screen volume level which overlay the display image. The Setup OSD, being a full screen display with black background, will always appear regardless of input source but the volume level overlay displays only appear for analog input sources (unfortunately not for any HDMI inputs).