Talking Happy Birthday Gentoo!

Happy 10th birthday Gentoo!

And to go along with their birthday, the Gentoo team released Gentoo 10.0.

http://gentoo.org

Re: Happy Birthday Gentoo!

My preferred distro. Just can't figure out those "Easy" binary ones!

Happy birthday!

Folding in memory of Joan Marie 10/16/1959 - 02/21/1968
    Requiescant in pacem

Yeah, that's the delight of Linux... there's a distro for everyone

Happy birthday gentoo

Quote Originally Posted by joeyg View Post
    My preferred distro. Just can't figure out those "Easy" binary ones!

Happy birthday!
    Know what ya mean. I've always been able to recover a Gentoo install no matter how badly I try (or not tried) to mess it up. Debian just got me frustrated as the more I tried to fix the sound, the more I broke things (I was oblivious to the 'Debian way' back then).

Not trying to shoot down a distro but why not provide an installer instead of asking the user to read a handbook on how to put it in a hard disk?

Other Gentoo based distros, say Sabayon, have offered installers.

I suppose reading the handbook does provide a good insight in Linux.

One of the key points to Gentoo is customization. In order to get the same customization available with an installer, you'd end up having to answer so many questions it wouldn't be worth it.

I have noticed in resent years they have been slowly getting away from 'totally manual installation'. They no longer support Stage 1 installations (compiling everything from scratch, all to your own requirements). But to be honest, you can take a Stage 3 install, set your USE flages and force it to recompile, thus providing with the same thing as a Stage 1. Another thing they have been working on is a Live CD that does an automatic installation for you. Yet that method is still very buggy.

I doubt they will ever fully abandon manual installations, unless they separate to form another distro.

Talking in 2009I do expect to see a Linux Live CD/DVD to work as a Live CD/DVD. The majority will have an icon or a menu for installation to a hard disk or a USB device.

Other distros are moving fast. There are also distinct installers like Knoppix installer, Anaconda is used by Red Hat family and others, Yast is the well known installer in Suse, Ubuntu uses Debian's installer and even die hard Slackware still has a text installer that works remarkably well in a Bash terminal by typing "setup".

Distro does change and improve with time thus this different stage manual install is getting dated as it will be hard to revise the handbook to reflect each release of Gentoo. Therefore a general installer seems to make more sense to me.
    Last edited by saikee; 10-11-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Its funny as versions mean completely different things in Gentoo then most other distros. For if I didn't see the note about version 10 being released, I wouldn't have realized that I'm now running 'version 10' on all my Gentoo boxes. Versions in Gentoo really are only for the initial installation process. Once its installed, versions are basically irrelevant.

Gentoo does more of a continuous evolution then distinct versions. As new software or versions of software becomes stable they are updated. Unlike distros like Ubuntu where I'm stuck with pretty much the same version of all the applications I installed over a year ago. Distros like Ubuntu generally only releases security updates for applications.

BTW, honestly, I'd look more into doing Linux from scratch if I had time to figure out dependencies and keep track up updates. So I figure Gentoo is the best compromise. I realize I'm a small minority when it comes to my needs/wants/expectations of an OS. So that's why Gentoo isn't installed on every computer. But also that's why Ubuntu isn't too, nor CentOS, nor Suse, nor Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by saikee View Post
    Not trying to shoot down a distro but why not provide an installer instead of asking the user to read a handbook on how to put it in a hard disk?

Other Gentoo based distros, say Sabayon, have offered installers.

I suppose reading the handbook does provide a good insight in Linux.
    I'm an old BSD guy, just like getting into the nuts and bolts of a system. I "do" computers as a hobby, and wanted to learn as much as I could about Linux, that's why I'm stuck on Gentoo. I've discovered that it is more than a just a hobbyist system, being very stable and configurable, even for my laptops. Push comes to shove and I need to be productive for work, my company-issued windows laptop sits and I use my Gentoo laptop.

Probably saddest thing is that I don't even look at the handbook any more!

Folding in memory of Joan Marie 10/16/1959 - 02/21/1968
    Requiescant in pacem

Congrats Gentoo!

Cut (and broke) a few Linux teeth on this dist before I wanted my base system installed in less then three days and went with RPMs

Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.4ghz/8GB DDR3/NvidiaGT430/Ubuntu 11.10