Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Endangered species. How will you help?

The team has been steadly losing members for the last couple of years but now the numbers are getting critical. We are down to only 28 active crunchers and we need to find a way to attract more. I think a lot of people are frightened off when they see the big numbers that some of us get. They think they don't need me with my 600 credits a day. In fact that is exactly who we do need. Sure the big guns are welcome but we need the guys with one or two boxes that are doing what they can.

What am I going to do to help change the situation? I will go back to doing the top 25 stats on Friday. Nearly the whole team will be on it and any new member could easily make the list. I will work on reworking and updating the list of projects we have teams on. I will also post more on the message boards where I'm crunching. With links to here and the team signup page in the signature we will get more exposure and maybe some new members.

The remaining question is "What will you do to help?"

Re: Endangered species. How will you help?

My guess Red.........after seeing a 1/2 members signing in, and not posting. Probally nothing. 39 views as I post. Looks like your the one man recruiting/cheerleader/stats guy/etc.

Wish you the best Red.

I don't think he's the only one working on this.

I ain't daid!!

I've been out of pocket almost 100 %...I'll get back in here in a day...damn tough times here!!!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Well, I got just exactly the response I thought I would. After 48 hours and having been read about 140 times not a single person has publicly offered to do anything. And so I wont either.

Quote Originally Posted by Big red View Post
    Well, I got just exactly the response I thought I would. After 48 hours and having been read about 140 times not a single person has publicly offered to do anything. And so I wont either.
    Sorry Red, I just don't know what to do. Running this stuff costs money. Many people I know are looking for work. I am back crunching again. Most people don't see the value in what we do. Most forums have teams so it's hard to recruit there. My only suggestion is post in the project forums where they have space for team advertising.

Well I guess I will update my machine to a core I7 and plug in two 5870's and start putting out 600,000+ per day from 375,000 now.

I have another 4870 at home new in the box.

I picked up a Core I7-920 DO monday from Microcenter for $199.
    Waiting for Win7 to go live before upgrade.

Building the farm back up for winter, I like my PC space heaters.
    Last edited by MJD1964; 10-15-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Well I got back into it just a few months ago after an email came in from SETI asking old seti Classic crunchers to rejoin. I did so and guess what, in three months I've climbed into the top 40 of the Frogs team! Why am I doing it? WE (humanity) need a quantum breakthrough technology event. Without which I firmly believe we're sliding back into a a new dark age. This may be our only hope.

I'm averaging 3700-4000 a day,anyone care to recomend a sub $100 video card I could add a few of to increase my 4-5 boxes performance? (only two have CUDA capable devices on them)

I entered the contest to win the Lynnfield system they are giving away and I suggested who ever wins might like to drop by and join us, and since it requires you to join the forums to enter, it's drawing new members as many sites are linking to it, I found it from a FutureMark link.

I suggested that anyone new or or not new that has some crunching power to spare that may never have tried Distributed Computing drop by our forum and pay us a visit.

Would it be possible to somehow get a plug in the announcements of the forums or on the main page?

Man, I hear you guys. I don't mind the heat, but the $150 / month electric was killlin me!! Lots of other bills waaaay more important at the moment, too, dammit.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

I hear ya. I'm down to 2 PCs on my farm. One's my file/web server, the other is my multimedia PC.

I see Ryan has teamed up with Asus and a few others to put on the ASUS Xtreme Design Contest. I was thinking of putting something together, but honestly, I'd be afraid that I may win. With my idea, I'd probably have to run a dedicated circuit into my computer room just to power it.

It sounds like they are looking for some off the wall ideas. It may be fun to try to come up with some 'killer cruncher'. They would offer some free hardware.

I don't mind the heat, but the $150 / month electric was killlin me!!
    Its hard to to run a project on the Quad CPU now and get only <2000 points per day. When a 4850 for $75 puts out 35000 - 70000 points using a simular amount of power. Even at the low end one GPU replaces many CPUs. One video card puts out more credit than my whole farm (seven Quads) did one year ago. Its just not worth it any more....

I have a Quad with a HD4850 installed its pluged in through a KillaWatt power meter. Loading the GPU or the CPU draws almost the same amount of Watts.

I ran some tests. I have two PCs in the garage pluged in to the KillaWatt.

All tests done with monitor off.

AMD 4000+.... 2100mhz load, 1000mhz idle. (Stock)

Idle, 1000mhz = 101w
    CPU Load, 2100mhz = 151w FritzChess Benchmark.
    GPU Load, 4850 stock = 157w Milkyway@home

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/...p?hostid=86168

AMD Quad 9600.... 2300mhz Load, 1150mhz Idle. (stock)

Idle, 2300mhz = 200w
    CPU Load, 2300mhz = 275w
    GPU Load, 4870 stock = 295w

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/...p?hostid=51701

Both PC's GPU loaded 419w

It seems the HD4850 draws much less than a HD4870, weird...... I tested it three times. I guess I will be selling both my 4870's and keeping the 4850's.....
    Last edited by MJD1964; 10-26-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Try swapping the video cards in those two computers and run your tests again. You may also be seeing differences in the power supply efficiencies. Power supplies very a lot. Even if both are rated the same wattage and same efficiency, they may still give you large differences. It all depends how they were originally tested.

I wouldn't want you to sell a faster card just to find out most of the difference was due to the power supply.