Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fighting a red light cam ticket in CA?

Is it possible?

I was at a left turn and there was one car ahead of me. He was inside the intersection and I was well into the crosswalk if not with my front tires past it.

When the light turned to yellow, the traffic cleared enough for him to go. It must have turned red by the time I started making my turn, and I saw a bright flash from a camera.

Should I fight it?

Re: Fighting a red light cam ticket in CA?

They have red light cameras here in Ontario. Here they take two pictures of a 'suspected' red light violator (less then a second apart). The first picture is taken the moment the light turns red, and the second picture is taken a few moments later. The idea here, they want to prove that you were behind the white line when the light turned red, and then prove that you proceeded to enter the intersection.

When you get the fine (they can't actually affect your driver's record as it may not have been you who was driving), they include a copy of both images, the velocity you were travelling while the light first turned red, and a close up of your vehicle's licence plate. I had the opportunity to see one of these when someone drove one of our company's vehicles through a red light once.

So, if California does things similarly as they do here, you should be fine if you actually had your front wheels already into the intersection. Even though, you still technically went through a red light since you weren't out of the intersection by the time the light turned red. Here they give you that extra grace since no officer actually witnessed the entire event.

My advise, just wait and see if you actually even get a fine. The camera may not have worked, something could have obstructed the view, or like I said, you may have already been in the intersection in time.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 10-19-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Added the last paragraph

Well, I never heard anything about my OK red light ticket which was completely false.
    I sent them all the proof they would need to show that wasn't my vehicle in the intersection. They basically said that evidence would need submitted in court to avoid the fine.
    As of right now, I haven't paid them one cent, nor do I have any plans in the future to pay them

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Ok, if my front tires were past the front white line of the crosswalk by the time it turned red, then im safe right?

Man. I wish I wasnt so damn tired, I cant recall a whole lot of of it..

OK second problem.

The car is registered by my dad, and registered in Norcal because thats where he lived and plus the insurance rates are cheaper. Im in Socal. How do I get my hands on the ticket? Hes not in the country atm.

First off, you were in the wrong. Only 1 vehicle is allowed in the intersection at a time. If the guy in front of you is still there when the light turns yellow, you have to by law wait for the next light cycle.

Worse yet, some cops will get you for being in the intersection no matter what. Even if you are the only car in the intersection. I knew the law better than the cop that pulled me over once, thus only got a warning, but I could have gotten a ticket if he wanted to be a real ass.

As for getting your hands on the ticket... no idea. Get a hold of your dad, see if he can authorize it some how.

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Im just crossing my fingers at this point.

They had red light cameras in Greensboro for a couple years, but they somehow managed to outlaw them. A judge had ruled that 90% of revenue had to be given to schools, so the city council decided to shut them down. They couldn't be maintained I suppose since the majority of the profits were going to the crooked management company that installed them. Basically, they got fired because the city realized they had made a very poor economic decision.
    That was the only thing that could have shut them down because the city has sovereign immunity. Haha, politics. But one of the other problems was they were not allowed to be questioned by the tickets (that's what sovereign immunity is, legally above the law). I can't help but think that moral issue somehow contributed to the judge's finding.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Doesn't matter what the law said. If they fined you for whatever reason "False or true", you are obligated to pay the fine or go to court to fight it. Court costs are greater than paying the fine, so people pay by default. Some cops in a couple towns near where I live had them camera's taken away from them as they were blatantly using them in area's which exploited the public.

We need to trust the police enforcement to protect the public interests, so why they would want to threaten our trust by ripping us off is beyond me.
    I paid four photo-radar tickets (three mine and one for my dad). I only remember what I did to get the first one, but had no idea why I got the other three. Having a system that condones people to continue to drive with bad driving habits for profit should be outlawed completely.
    If a cop is reading this, get off the chair at the doughnut shop and start handing out tickets to dangerous people who are causing accidents rather than letting a automated device take care of the work pulling people over for you.

Something else you should realize when dealing with the Police. Did you know that they can legally lie to you to illicit a confession, however if you lie to them it's a crime? Might be on a community by community basis, however I sat on a jury where that law was explained in detail to me, absolutely floored me.

Best advice, keep some kind of lawyer's number, even those gimicky TV commercial numbers with you. If questioned by a police officer, shut up and ask for a lawyer. No matter what they promise you, don't trust them, demand a lawyer.

*edit*
    I should say, that I hate needing to do that. I want to trust the police, but at the moment I don't.

At this point im just going to cross my fingers and hope I see nothing in the mail for the next 2 weeks.

I dont have the time or money to fight it unless I have a slamdunk defense.

You can fight it via a Trial By Written Declaration. You contact the
    court clerk, for the forms, put the full amount of bail up front, fill
    out the forms along with your explanation why you think you're
    innocent and send in the forms. They will be reviewed by a
    person who will determine your case. What's cool about
    going with TBD, if you don't agree with the findings, you can
    request a second trial before a judge.

I was accused of running a stop sign. I have a Class B license
    with Ca school bus cert and being convicted of a ticket cost
    double for me and 1.5 points go against my driving record
    so I fought it. I lost the first case, but requested and was
    granted a second trial which ended in my case being dismissed.

Here is a place you can read about it. This is for Ca only.

http://www.ticketassassin.com/
    http://www.ticketassassin.com/fight.html

You can also go the DMV website and download the Ca Vehicle
    Code. You can go through the different cites and maybe
    find something to help with your case. Mine fell under the
    explanation that there is NO time limit for stopping at a
    stop sign as long as one comes to a complete stop before
    the limit line.

The judge agreed. About 3 weeks later I received
    a check from the court with my full bail amount returned
    and no bumps on my record.
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 10-24-2009 at 02:15 AM.

If I were to check online for a ticket, would it appear in the county I got the ticket in or the county my car is registered in?

More in likely where you got nailed. Can't think of a reason the ride
    would come up due to reg

I called the automated thing to check if I have a ticket under my drivers license #, and there was none. How long do these usually take to show up?

Is it likely it was put on my Dad's license # instead? Since it is his car AFAIK.

In Ontario the ticket goes to the person who the licence plates on the vehicle were registered. Seeing as the guy who's issuing the ticket doesn't know you personally, he would have a hard time sending you the ticket if your name is not attached to the plates.