Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TV Tuner HD?

Re: TV Tuner HD?

In your case, you could use either the Hauppauge HD-PVR, which will accept the component from your cable box, and send it to your PC via USB cable, in HD. It also works quite well, but I am not sure if it works with anything except Sage TV.
    The HD-PVR is not prejudiced, it will work with any cable box.

I am in Canada and mine works just fine.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by richardd43 View Post
    The HD-PVR is not prejudiced, it will work with any cable box.

I am in Canada and mine works just fine.
    Sage TV is the PVR program for your computer, when the HD-PVR first came out, I believe this was the only app it would work with, but I believe it now works with others. Yes it will work with any cable box, or anything with a component output basically.

Sage TV is the PVR program for your computer, when the HD-PVR first came out, I believe this was the only app it would work with, but I believe it now works with others. Yes it will work with any cable box, or anything with a component output basically.
    You are right. I was not thinking about what you said.

Unfortunately Sage is not available in Canada so I use my Cable PVR to grab the programs I want to save to my computer and just transfer them.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I would suggest the Hauppauge 2250. It can function as a NTSC,ATSC, or QAM tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by TimShadler View Post
    I would suggest the Hauppauge 2250. It can function as a NTSC,ATSC, or QAM tuner.
    But, it will only get your Basic local stations in HD, such as ABC, NBC, etc. It will not get ESPN, Discovery, etc in HD, those are all encrypted by the cable cos. The OP wants to get all of his channels he gets with the Cable DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    But, it will only get your Basic local stations in HD, such as ABC, NBC, etc. It will not get ESPN, Discovery, etc in HD, those are all encrypted by the cable cos. The OP wants to get all of his channels he gets with the Cable DVR.
    Yes that's right. Though it does depend on the cable provider. Right now the choices suck.

Ceton and SiliconDust will be coming out with multi-tuner Cable Card tuners later this year.

The only option currently that would allow him to get all the HD that his cable company could deliver is the hauppauge HD PVR.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

The issues here is that you still need a cable box with component out to make it work, its only one tuner, and it costs more.
    Last edited by TimShadler; 02-19-2010 at 01:36 AM.

The cable-card tuners from Ceton and HDhomerun should be out very soon from what I hear. 4-tuner cable card for $399 is actually a bargain! It is about time cablelabs is going to allow DIY-ers to install these in a custom-built computer. Up until now it has had to be a prebuilt computer.

I was just doing a little research today, and it looks like Comcast is rolling out all digital service over the next month or two for %70 of their customers. If you are in one of those zones, clear QAM will only get you the locals in SD and HD.

Clearly Cable Card is the way to go, looking forward.