Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

I hate windows 7

..and am donating the money I saved from getting it on the MSDN to a linux project.

Why? There's one single reason. The interface. I don't know why they decided to make such a hostile, cluttered, complicated interface the only decision in windows 7, but since XP I have set my systems on a very basic desktop background with a windows 95 start menu. Why?

Because I deliberately tell my computer what I want it to do, what icons I want where, and I don't want it trying to be 'helpful'. This is equivelent of someone 'cleaning' your desk drawers out and reorganizing for you. When you deal with one or two hundred start menu items, you tend to not want to scroll through them all. When you tend to keep your keyboard set aside when not actively typing, you quickly come to appreciate an interface that can be efficiently driven with only a few clicks of the mouse.

Apparently this is lost on microsoft, who have ( from what I can find on google ) deliberately removed any simple, down to earth, responsive interfaces from their new OS. I tried to do a search and was given ambiguous terms for file sizes and dates. Where's my classic search? Apparently hiding in fear from the glass-like interface as the 'classic' theme is just a recolor.

I don't care if it's for 'touchscreens', I'll be using voice command software long before I use a touch screen for my desktop browsing. Microsoft needs to fire these engineers with the 'bright and new' ideas and get with the program - a new OS every five years, not an OS based around technology that won't be available for ten to fifteen years!

</rant>

Is there any way at all to get gnome or KDE running on windows?
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Re: I hate windows 7

Now that's what I call a nice rant!
    /\/\UF/-\S/-\
    Windows 7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Windrunner View Post
    ..and am donating the money I saved from getting it on the MSDN to a linux project.
    Good for you

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

A post in the windows section that I can appreciate!

I like it

Have some therapy OP, please. lol

Great comment.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.
    They couldn't release a new OS or a new program unless they change how it looked, even if it worked no differently then the previous version. Just like they do with Microsoft Office. Every year they come out with a new version with different ways you can do the same things as the previous versions and a steep price tag to go with it. If they continue releasing incompatible versions of software, it forces people to annually spend money on Microsoft in order to be compatible with what everyone else is using.

I still use Office XP (Office 97 was my favorite version) and Windows XP.
    And if Windows was really improving their products rather than complicating them, I am sure I would be the only one who would have these opinions.
    Two power supplies in one case (Connected the green wire) and a Thermaltake 550 PSU in the other.
    Two ASUS M2N-SLI Delux Motherboard
    Athlon X2-6000 and a Phenom 9850
    Big azz 11 bay server tower and a regular 4 bay full size tower. (Noname)
    A speedy PCIe based ATI 1950 chipset and a Radeon 5750 video card.
    4 Gig or 2 Gig Kingston brand (Total 6) DDR2-800 memory
    Around 19 Terabytes in 17 hard drives.
    I refuse to use DVD disks as they die by oxidization, get scratched and would take too many of them to write for the data I have.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    Have some therapy OP, please. lol
    Well, I started my 'upgrade' at around 4 PM day before yesterday, stopped at 11 PM. Then yesterday I started around 4 again and didn't stop until 2 AM after which I did a clean install only to find that my start menu was gone and replaced by an inaccessible P.O.S.

( How in the world am I supposed to navigate it by voice? With the classic start menu I say "Start menu" then "programs" then the name of the folder I want, in this one I'm going to have to say something like 'page down' repeatedly. )

Oh, the thrilling part about it all is that I went on to spend about an hour and a half with a few pieces of buggy freeware intended to emulate the old start menu.

So yeah, I probably need therapy. Would bludgeoning the stupid designers that did this over the head with an imac and screaming "You just proved their stupid slash ads that DESTROYED vista's sales right you effing idiot!" count as therapy?
    My heatware

i pre-ordered 2 copies of home upgrade and at this point i think i'll install them sometime around 2014.

i've gotten to a point where i can traverse the rc without thinking all that much but the annoyances that were in vista are there in win7. without going through a litany of my thoughts and observations, let me put it this way. the os is built for 90% of the world. how many times have we heard, "i saved a file and can't find it". how many times have we suggested to someone to install sybot or malwarebytes and had them say that it found 2xx items.

they need to be led. nose rings anyone?

ud

Microsoft really, REALLY can't afford to blunder again with this OS. Even with 10% of their customers. ( I hear they did a poll that 85% of people liked the new start menu, but with 90% market share they can't afford to lose 15% )

Man, with openCL and openGL coming up, along with other linux-compatible APIs ( bullet physics, etc ) gaining speed, the only thing I stay on windows for ( directX ) may finally fade into obsolescence.

Oh, also, I booted into my old vista install that I cloned over to another drive that was working fine last night, and now can't log in.
    My heatware

mac has already updated their commercials.

ud

Okay, so the weirdest thing just happened to me. I'm just posting chat logs and going for a walk, as I'm completely bewildered. I did have to manually run explorer.exe but otherwise it worked.

Here's the log:

Quote Originally Posted by Me on MSN
    Wolvenmoon: It was the most warped thing I've ever had happen to me in windows that didn't just crash completely.
    Wolvenmoon: Okay, so what I did was I took an image of drive C
    Wolvenmoon: and restored it to drive J without further modification
    Wolvenmoon: then I installed windows 7 to drive C, the image of vista that used to be on drive C was on drive J
    Wolvenmoon: I booted to drive J, and it thought it was still on drive C somewhat.
    Wolvenmoon: So it pulled its settings and drivers and everything from drive C - but the catch is
    Wolvenmoon: drive C is now windows 7
    Wolvenmoon: So it pulled windows 7's files and settings into windows vista and made a weird franken-OS
    Wolvenmoon: With a few errors that popped up, but it didn't blue screen and it booted to a working desktop
    I have created franken-OS. If someone wants to repeat it, get something like acronis trueimage or similar and clone a vista OS off of a partition, format that partition with 7, and boot to the cloned vista.

I'm off.
    My heatware

Windows 7 is a HUGE improvement.
    ROG Rampage Extrm V|5960x @ 4.4 Ghz|16G DDR4-2400 Quad channel|2 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-Xs CF Water cooled with EK blocks|Custom WC 3-480 rads + Twin D5 bay/res|PC P&C 1200W Silencer III|BenQ BL3200PT

I swear, microsoft has planted advertising people. "Windows 7 can do no wrong!" on EVERY forum I looked at about the start menu. "The new one's better, you suck if you want the old one."

Also, I essentially booted vista to a windows 7 user profile. What this says to me is that there are not many changes between the two. Windows 7 is just vista SP3. So no, it isn't a huge improvement - it's a patch that should have been released for free.

</rant>

I bet the forced start menu and interface 'enhancements' are to push project natal / microsoft touch interfaces.

It's all so ridiculously complex now, but I need the speed enhancements and I need directX, so I have to wait it out a bit longer.
    My heatware

Hate away!
    ROG Rampage Extrm V|5960x @ 4.4 Ghz|16G DDR4-2400 Quad channel|2 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-Xs CF Water cooled with EK blocks|Custom WC 3-480 rads + Twin D5 bay/res|PC P&C 1200W Silencer III|BenQ BL3200PT