Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: I hate windows 7

regarding the "20 most accessed apps" that come up when you go to the start menu, you can delete them all by right clicking, then hitting "remove from this list"

Windrunner, as much as this issue bothers people like you and I.... we are very much in the minority. You and I are like the only two people I know that still use the classic menu. When I moved to Vista at work, it was extremely painful that I couldn't organize my menu with the same ease I used to (hidden administrator account locks within the menu).

The reason I like that is because I'm always trying new software to help with my development and it is very nice to keep it organized. With the vista search, how do I enter 'I want to see the database tools I've installed recently?' You can't. It is more name driven and I don't know all the names of the programs I want, nor can I search on all the names at once.

That part I hate about Windows 7/Vista is exactly what I love in gnome... the stuff is organized by default so I don't even have to waste my time on organizing it.

If you want to continue with Windows 7, I believe there are some programs out there that can recreate the Classic menu by creating a another start icon on your task bar that uses the menu. It's a clunky fix for sure.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

I hated the new way of doing things in windows 7 just like I did in office 2007 at first. Now i've gotten used to all the new ways of doing things and a lot of the time it saves me a lot of time. I could go into great detail but I dont really feel like it right now. There are a few minor things overall where I liked how it was done in XP better (networking is first to come to mind) however overall I love Windows 7. It's been on all my PCs since the first public beta and it will stay on them now that it is released.

Sorry but I am a sucker for the eye candy as well. My gaming rig is fast enough that theres not going to be any performance hit between XP and 7 with eye candy on so I would much rather enjoy a pretty looking OS then the grey boring start bar. If I was still running a PC from 2000 I'd probably care. Ive got a 7.8-7.9 rating on everything except my hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator650 View Post
    Windrunner, as much as this issue bothers people like you and I.... we are very much in the minority. You and I are like the only two people I know that still use the classic menu. When I moved to Vista at work, it was extremely painful that I couldn't organize my menu with the same ease I used to (hidden administrator account locks within the menu).

The reason I like that is because I'm always trying new software to help with my development and it is very nice to keep it organized. With the vista search, how do I enter 'I want to see the database tools I've installed recently?' You can't. It is more name driven and I don't know all the names of the programs I want, nor can I search on all the names at once.

That part I hate about Windows 7/Vista is exactly what I love in gnome... the stuff is organized by default so I don't even have to waste my time on organizing it.

If you want to continue with Windows 7, I believe there are some programs out there that can recreate the Classic menu by creating a another start icon on your task bar that uses the menu. It's a clunky fix for sure.
    what i used to do, even prior to win7, was create folders on the desktop and organize my apps and games into those. enable the desktop toolbar and everything was right there.

i used the classic theme up until vista too, but only because the Luna, aka the fisher-price theme, looked so horrible.

i also liked the classic start menu over the xp start menu.

after the new search start menu was introduced with vista i left that all behind.
    Last edited by Brandito; 10-26-2009 at 10:19 AM.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Nobody is every going to like everything. Personally, and I'll note, I hated vista, but I'm actually starting to like Windows 7. I never really used vista much because it ran like crap on my system. So, I was pleasantly surprised when I fired up Re5 in DX10 mode and there was 0 load time.

The start menu takes a bit of getting used too, but if you can't search your menu you might have disabled the search functions (goto the customize on the start menu and make sure the 2 search functions are checked and also indexing on the drive is enabled).

The taskbar was my biggest issue, but I turned the annoying grouping off, and that solved my issue with it. Overall, I think it's better than XP was when it was first released (better 3rd party support out of the box), it's faster than vista for sure.
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy983 View Post
    (goto the customize on the start menu and make sure the 2 search functions are checked and also indexing on the drive is enabled)
    could be it, indexing is much improved over vista, so maybe he got used to disabling it in vista?
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have a life. We live in the year 2009 and there is no reason I should have to use a command line interface.
    Sure there is: with a command line interface, there is no room for error and the user can be assured that what gets executed is exactly what s/he intended to happen in the first place. Typing errors? Start over; that'll learn ya.

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

With the exception of the impossible to get back classic start menu (not the vista one, not the xp one, the classic one), I have very little to complain about Windows 7. One thing would be RAID0 performance, but that's not a regular user would complain about.

As a regular XP (@work) / Vista (@home, Server 2008 moded to workstation) user, I find the interface improvements in 7 finally make Windows noob (= apple_user) friendly.

It does take a day or two to get used to, but in the end things are indeed better, as I find myself using the interface more efficiently, even if only slightly so.
    There are more things in heaven and earth then are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Fedex says my copy is at the door.

I like the new taskbar - just wish I could protect some programs from starting with a double click or something. It's a bit frustrating if you miss the notepad icon and hit one of those slow loading EA game icons instead!

I'd skip MS OSes if I could play my PC games on a different platform...

Go Linux!

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

I'm still loving Windows 7.
    Zero blue screens since I've been running it, and pretty freaking quick.
    I don't see where all the hate is coming from.

Newest Article: PC Gaming Superiority
    http://richardmccord.com

EXTRA! EXTRA!
    Dateline: Redmond Washington

Atten: Windrunner

Windows 7 hates you back !

Da devil made me do it
    Electronic Smoke Signals From my "Techno Teepee"
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
    AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5142Mhz [21x244] 1.536v
    Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=53c
    32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
    ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.6 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    Linux?
    I'm sorry, but I have a life. We live in the year 2009 and there is no reason I should have to use a command line interface.
    You obviously have never used a modern linux distro. I NEVER have to use the command line. It's all GUI now. And, it never breaks, which is more than I can say for windows. The only thing I can't do in linux is games, which is why I have xp installed on another drive. Please don't spread FUD, it's unbecoming. Have a nice day.
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.4ghz/8GB DDR3/NvidiaGT430/Ubuntu 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectShot View Post

I'd skip MS OSes if I could play my PC games on a different platform...

Go Linux!
    Here's an idea, dual boot!
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.4ghz/8GB DDR3/NvidiaGT430/Ubuntu 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePixel View Post
    Sure there is: with a command line interface, there is no room for error and the user can be assured that what gets executed is exactly what s/he intended to happen in the first place. Typing errors? Start over; that'll learn ya.
    Mouse and left click works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    You obviously have never used a modern linux distro. I NEVER have to use the command line. It's all GUI now. And, it never breaks, which is more than I can say for windows. The only thing I can't do in linux is games, which is why I have xp installed on another drive. Please don't spread FUD, it's unbecoming. Have a nice day.
    The last one I tried was Kubuntu with KDE4. It was pretty good. But if you want anything beyond basic functionality you're going to have to use the command line. And it's more than just that. It's software support.
    Sure Open Office works just as good as M$ Office, but If I want to work on a spreadsheet or word document that I started at work and take it home to OOo forget it!. I don't feel like spending half an hour trying to figure out how to install some stupid codec to watch DVDs or trying to get an ATi video card to display half decent graphics. I want one OS that does everything for me; not 10 that do nothing.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    Here's an idea, dual boot!
    I put a working OS on each hard drive already.

And before an OS install, I make sure to unplug EVERY other HDD in the case.

I hate the MS boot loader that is placed on all active partitions if you don't.

Since last night I wiped my XP gaming partition in 15 minutes with a non-RC W7 install.
    It boots up 6 minutes faster and am loving it! Now I just need to look into the Punkbuster issue I seem to be having with W7...

Linux? Don't know if they'd support blu-ray playback or the monitor calibration tools I use on the monitor for Photoshop use...

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case