Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: I hate windows 7

The structure of Windows definately sucks. But there is definately an improvement in 3D apps over XP. Windows Vista and Windows 7 are both smarter applications in that respect. More than likely people are often victims of garbage 3rd party apps, or a rare application that isn't up to speed. This is usually the fault of the developer of that application. Sometimes it is an application that doesn't even do 3d. It just sits in the background and causes error after error silently, which makes your computer unstable.

Microsoft permissions are a joke. A feeble attempt to be like Linux. It continues to be as entirely broken in Windows 7 as it was on the launch of Windows Vista.

The menu is still brain damaged in Vista and 7, yes. The search function seems fast, though.

I don't like the registry dependent structure that should have been abolished in Windows 95.

Microsoft's desktop effects probably do use too many resources at times.

There is still no real improvement or development of a better filesystem.

Windows just is what it is. I don't see much reason to stick with XP, though. Most of the gripes can simply be ignored when you consider the alternative is something that isn't compatible with the majority of the market.

I try not to run Windows, though. I don't care about the market. If it's not compatible with Linux, or supported by Wine, they can go to hell.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

I've managed to hack most of my interface problems away, and using "God Mode" gets me to most settings I need to be at without wading through 'my computer' anymore.

You almost stop noticing the distracting glass graphics, et cetera, after awhile...no, I'm just kidding. They're as obnoxious as ever.

XP security is flawed. 7 security is better. Turn off the firewall and UAC and put your own stuff in it, and the rest of it is pretty well done.

Performance wise, I just have it turn off desktop composition when I'm in a game. ( Right click, properties, compatibility I think )

I still like my XP interface better. But hey, I got 7 free from the ACM about 4 hours before they closed it, so I'm fine with it. If I had paid money, I would be POed.
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

windrunner you're one of those people who like the fisher price theme in xp aren't you?

Lune should never have existed. it's a dark mark on the history of GUIs

God Mode doesn't really add anything you can't find by typing a couple words into search. search is a highly under utilized feature of vista and win7 from what i've seen.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Brandito, I turn my themes on XP and Vista to classic with all sliding/fading/et cetera off. I set my start menu to classic and run my computers on a 'windows 95' interface when I have the option.

Okay, I take that back, a 'windows 2000' interface. God I loved that OS.

I have the search function disabled/indexing off. I don't like the extra RAM usage and it takes me longer to type it then to remember where it is in my start menu, and I type pretty quickly. ( 90 WPM on a good day, 50 on a bad day. This was added in editing after I finished my post. I've spent about 7 minutes on this post )

That was the reason Is tarted this thread, actually. I despise the new interface and they've forced people to move over to it. There is no barebones classic theme anymore - the one they have is just Aero without transparencies.

Oh, and, their little directory bar thing, it makes things hugely complicated when you have 5 hard drives, one with 4 partitions, then another 2 with 2 partitions each...

I'd prefer Luna over this glass theme and other 'interface enhancements', like how it slaps you with the window when you try to move it off screen.

No, I did not like Luna and never used it beyond when I switched into the administrator account. I've never used vista's gadgets, my desktop - up until the point I rendered my own logo - was a completely black screen. Indexing was off, and I kept track of where my files where myself.

I *DESPISE* having so much done for me automatically. If it weren't for directX I would be on Gnome in Linux and be happy. But WiNE is not fast enough for me, and the drivers aren't as nice...
    My heatware

Quote Originally Posted by Windrunner View Post

I *DESPISE* having so much done for me automatically. If it weren't for directX I would be on Gnome in Linux and be happy. But WiNE is not fast enough for me, and the drivers aren't as nice...
    I broke down and bought a PS3. I don't seem to enjoy computer gaming anymore. Haha.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

PS3 is easy to use. I like easy and reliable things.

I used the W7 RC for a while and moved back to Vista. Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't complain about Vista but I've been using the 64 bit version for 2 years without a single problem.

The W7 task bar looks too blocky for me and I don't see enough improvement to warrant an upgrade.
    Never deprive someone of hope... it may be the only thing they have.

I got in at reclaimyourgame and am arguing against DRM in games and arguing for residential site licensing / family licensing for PC games ( Similar to how you get four players on an xbox ), so I'm sticking around on PC gaming for a bit longer, but I've lost a lot of my passion for it.

I jumped onto windows 7 because of the decreased RAM usage and GPU accelerated interface. I'm staying because I got it for free. Vista never gave me an ounce of trouble, in the 14 months I used it, it didn't even have a dump file when I looked ( and I don't let ccleaner kill 'em off ). I didn't have a serious crash once with it.
    My heatware

This thread appears to have wondered off topic a bit....

I just wanted to add my own perspective here on Windows 7... Hate is a bit strong. It looks pretty.

I've used Microsoft products since the beginning. Win 3., 3.1, 95, 98, ME, XP and now Windows 7. I skipped Vista. I can't say I HATE Win 7 but I'm certainly not impressed with it.

I installed it on an Asus laptop and then fought with it for weeks. I tried Microsoft Support but they couldn't or wouldn't help me. I just kept getting a run around and the problems never get fixed. Things like every time I logon the taskbar is at the top even though I saved it at the bottom. Or when I try to access my music which I keep on a file server it takes Win 7 a little over 1/2 an hour to access it and list the music so I can copy it or play it. All kinds of little things like this would happen.

Now this is the part that will upset everyone I know. It's like the old Chey vs Ford routine.

I had the opportunity to purchase a Macbook on eBay for cheap. $600. It has an Intel core 2 duo, 2.4 Ghz, 4 Gb RAM.. 320GB 7200rpm drive. Nice machine.

I've never used a Mac.. knew nothing about it, but I'm retired and have lots of time to play and learn.

To make a long story very short... on that Mac I now have Snow Leopard, Windows XP, Windows 7, and Ubuntu all working at the same time and all are aware of each other. I can move files from one to the other and I can compare the various OS's all on the same platform.

Now that I have made the transition I can tell you without hesitation that I will NEVER go back to Microsoft.

The music server I eluded to earlier still takes over 1/2 an hour for Win 7 to access. Win XP takes only a few minutes... maybe 3 to 5. Mac OS X takes a few seconds.

I have discovered at my level of need and understanding I can manipulate pictures and music on the Mac better/faster than on any of the other OS's I have. My second choice would be Ubuntu and third XP. Win 7 is the slowest and most cumbersome.

Now I'm sure there are experts out there who can make Win 7 stand on its ear and who swear it's wonderful but to a grunt like me it sucks.

I do like MS Office and I use it in Win XP when I need it. but that's as far as I go with any Microsoft anything any more.

I replaced Outlook with Thunderbird on the Mac. I replaced IE8 (and Safari for that matter) with Firefox, and if you think Firefox is good on a Windows machine it's OUTSTANDING on a Mac.

I have to wonder what hold Microsoft has on people to keep them coming back again and again to the same old... same old....

The transition to Mac can be painful but in the end it is worth it. I wonder how many people who are Mac bashers have (1) ever tried a Mac or (2) have ever taken the time to actually learn it.

Just my 2 cents worth....
    Last edited by sirrefgm; 07-18-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Spelling, Always spelling

Wondering if this is more to do with the laptop and not windows 7 itself as I've never run into the issues your having with over four very different systems all running windows 7.

I don't actually feel I'm having any issues with any of the OS's on the Mac. I had the problems on the original Asus unless as you point out maybe it was the problem. In any even I sold it.

Of the 4 running on the Mac Windows 7 is by far the slowest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Wondering if this is more to do with the laptop and not windows 7 itself as I've never run into the issues your having with over four very different systems all running windows 7.
    Last edited by sirrefgm; 07-18-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Bootcamp or parallels?

Both actually... Bootcamp on separate partitions and then Parallels within OS X. This gives me a way to compare each in various ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Bootcamp or parallels?

I LOVE Windows 7

Quite simply the most power and useful consumer OS ever. Runs on my sig rig and my HP tm2 beautifully. For those having issues, it's really just you and your setup. Sure some people have problems with ANY OS, Windows, OS X and Linux. Want to see Mac problems, check out Steam on the Mac. Latest update borked every games performance on already slow ports.

But to each his own, just understand that there are Windows 7 systems like mine that crush any Mac from Apple (official systems) to dust and after you've played games in Surround in 3D, well, that Mac look whack.
    Last edited by heatlesssun; 07-27-2010 at 03:28 AM.
    Main Rig - Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM | Intel i7-980x@ 4.13 GHz (25 x 165 BCLK @ 1.365V) | Corsair H50 cooler | ASUS P6X58D Premium | eVGA GeForce GTX 480 3x SLI | Ultra X4 1200W PSU | Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3 | 2x WD 1002FBYS 1TB SATA 7200 RPM non-RAID | HP 1270dvd drive | Samsung S203N DVD drive | Lite On DH-4B1S SATA 4x BD Disc Triple Writer | Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Case | 3x Alienware OptX AW2310 1920 x 1080 monitors in nVidia 3D Vision Surround with 3D Vision Glasses

I still hate windows 7's start menu, and Ubuntu literally gives me a 33% increase in render times. When rendering 600 frames the difference between 6 seconds a frame and 4 seconds a frame is 20 minutes. So with Steam porting stuff over to Linux and Ubuntu getting me an extra core and a half of performance, I'm just waiting to make the switch.
    My heatware