Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Re: I hate windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    If this is how you respond to members asking for help, then don't bother! And by the way, had you read my message, I said I followed the suggestions from the Win 7 forums and none of them worked! And no, I didn't do any research re Win 7 since every version from 95 to XP worked with my older software, I expected the same with Win 7. I have a right to be annoyed and frustrated. Do your own research regarding Win 7 Home and Win 7 Pro since you obviously know less than I do about them both!
    i own them both. 2 copies of pro and one of home premium.

i also missed the point in your post where you asked for any help or provided any details that would allow help to be given, seemed more like rant to me. if you'd like help, i'd be willing so long as you provide any sort of information i could use to do so.

expecting software that worked with win95 to work in an os that is 15 or so years removed is asking a bit much. legacy software can't be supported by the os developer forever. at some point it's up to the developer of that software to support the newer os.

this seems more like an issue with the developer of the software dropping the ball than it is a problem with win7.

you can't have a leaner and faster os without removing legacy code that the vast majority of users no longer require.

you are most likely in the minority and really should have stuck with xp if the software you use is so critical and the developer has decided to no longer support it.

i apologize if i come off a bit harsh, but really i don't see where this is the fault of win7 quite yet, perhaps further details are required.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    i own them both. 2 copies of pro and one of home premium.

i also missed the point in your post where you asked for any help or provided any details that would allow help to be given, seemed more like rant to me. if you'd like help, i'd be willing so long as you provide any sort of information i could use to do so.

expecting software that worked with win95 to work in an os that is 15 or so years removed is asking a bit much. legacy software can't be supported by the os developer forever. at some point it's up to the developer of that software to support the newer os.

this seems more like an issue with the developer of the software dropping the ball than it is a problem with win7.

you can't have a leaner and faster os without removing legacy code that the vast majority of users no longer require.

you are most likely in the minority and really should have stuck with xp if the software you use is so critical and the developer has decided to no longer support it.

i apologize if i come off a bit harsh, but really i don't see where this is the fault of win7 quite yet, perhaps further details are required.

Once again, you did not read my message. My software worked on versions from Win 95 THROUGH XP. It is not all from 1995! I also said that I bought a new pc with Win 7 HP already installed, it was NOT an upgrade! As for being in the minority, you're wrong on that one as well. The other win 7 forums I visited have other Win 7 Home Premium users with the same issues regarding older software, just because you haven't seen it on this forum just means that this is not a forum used by most win 7 users, and based on your responses to my request for help, I see why. Don't bother responding since I won't waste my time reading it. I'll go back to the other Win 7 forums, at least they are a lot more courteous and know what customer service means.

you never asked for help!

what is it exactly you want help with?

yes, i'm sure there are a lot of people having trouble with win7 on the win7 forums, as there are people who need help with linux on a linux forum and osx on an osx forum. that's a given. people don't go to forums to sing praises.

you stated you had software that worked from win95 up to xp, generally if you started using software on win95 it was likely released around the time win95 was out and popular.

without telling us any sort of details, like WHAT software isn't working no one can help you. does not appear to me that you are requesting help at all at this point.

if you bought the computer win win7 already on it, then why not continue using the old machine for your legacy software?

you could also dual boot, run a virtual machine, upgrade to a newer free application that accomplishes the same tasks.

really without specifics on what isn't working, i don't see what you're trying to accomplish.

edit: also you can do any anytime upgrade from home premium to pro from within windows.

if you really want assistance with your problem, best bet is to detail what is wrong in a new thread in tech talk. this thread is really just an outlet for ranting.
    Last edited by Brandito; 01-02-2011 at 04:34 PM.

@Jane,

Brandito is right, your rant neither gives any useful info nor asks for help and your response to his observations is basically hostile. Remember you are posting in a thread titled " I Hate Windows 7 "

Please make a new post outlining the software you want to use (inc version) and a bit of info about your harware old and new. We aren't mind readers but we will help where we can...

ps, which Jane are you on the 7forums ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    Once again, you did not read my message. My software worked on versions from Win 95 THROUGH XP. It is not all from 1995! I also said that I bought a new pc with Win 7 HP already installed, it was NOT an upgrade! As for being in the minority, you're wrong on that one as well. The other win 7 forums I visited have other Win 7 Home Premium users with the same issues regarding older software, just because you haven't seen it on this forum just means that this is not a forum used by most win 7 users, and based on your responses to my request for help, I see why. Don't bother responding since I won't waste my time reading it. I'll go back to the other Win 7 forums, at least they are a lot more courteous and know what customer service means.
    Well, what's funny is that I personally am running windows 7 64 ultimate, and the only issue with excessively outdated software I have is a dos game called Carmageddon (circa 1996-97) and a Dos version of Business Vision software (custom business management software which was made 1993). I've even dealt with software that wasnt compatible with windows XP, yet was with windows 95 and 98.

Windows XP was built off Windows NT/2000 with a bit of Windows 98 compatability built in. Thats why it was able to run your excessively outdated software. Were the latest service packs applied as well? ..because service pack 2 and 3 broke the useability of some legacy software.

Its not the job of Microsoft to make proprietary 3rd party software, 15 to 20 years of age compatible with the latest revision of windows (which makes the latest hardware compatable and give you the ability to use it to its full potential), but it is the responsibility of the developer if they so choose, or if they (the developer) still exist.

If there is a newer version, by the developer, of your software and you have to pay for that updated version to work with a newer version of windows (or any newer version of any OS be it linux, windows, or OSx) then you're SOL and need to pay the developer for the updated software if its that extremely important to you. In any case, it is not the fault of the OS.

If your proprietary software is that important, and do not want to upgrade that software, then downgrade to XP (if drivers for the newer hardware are available for XP) which has surpassed its EOL by some time already and extended support (security patches) ends soon as well. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...pha=Windows+XP.

Being hostile towards Brandito or other forum members is not acceptable here and with only be tolereated to a certain extent.

As far as your original rant pertains, my only response is summed up best by:
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 01-02-2011 at 07:08 PM.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

My software worked on Win95 through WinXP
    Sounds like 8 bit software if it worked with Win95
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by richardd43 View Post
    Sounds like 8 bit software if it worked with Win95
    If if was 8Bit then it would work on windows 3.1. lol
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

Gosh, I guess I'm really screwed up. I like it, but I don't use
    it much for anything other than the net and some mail. I guess
    if one had to really use it as a serious tool, it could be a mess,
    but for me it just keeps motoring on. With it and FF 4.0 beta
    I can get simple things done, pretty simple like.

One pro to windows 7: It shuts up and stays in its place once you chop down UAC, hack the old program files style menu under 'documents', and enable God Mode.

If I wanted an egotistical flamboyent useless operating system with a bunch of hype and shiny useless things imploring me for more money as soon as I booted the system up, I'd buy a mac, and Microsoft darn well better realize this.
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

well IMO I see no need for 64 bit operating system IF their going to continue to pump out 32 bit software . IMO Thats way so many keep hanging on to older operating systems like xp .Whats the point of upgrading to a bloted windows 7?
    So basicly I am saying they need to stop making 32 bit software
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    well IMO I see no need for 64 bit operating system IF their going to continue to pump out 32 bit software . IMO Thats way so many keep hanging on to older operating systems like xp .Whats the point of upgrading to a bloted windows 7?
    So basicly I am saying they need to stop making 32 bit software
    Well I guess if 4gb of ram is enough for you for the foreseeable future, that could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    Well I guess if 4gb of ram is enough for you for the foreseeable future, that could work.
    I hardly tax over 2 gb of ram, but that was not my point . It is this, if 64 bit is to ever realy to be taken seriously , then they need to stop pumping out 32 bit software. Case in point I just got a new game , and ya know what ? Its 32bit and only supports DX9
    All this nice shiney hardware out these days ,64 bit CPUs DX11 vidcards and the best that they can do is 32 bit and DX9 ? Thats what I am saying
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

I hardly tax over 2 gb of ram, but that was not my point . It is this, if 64 bit is to ever realy to be taken seriously , then they need to stop pumping out 32 bit software. Case in point I just got a new game , and ya know what ? Its 32bit and only supports DX9
    All this nice shiney hardware out these days ,64 bit CPUs DX11 vidcards and the best that they can do is 32 bit and DX9 ? Thats what I am saying
    why does it need to be 64bit? why does it need to be taken seriously?

it's not like 64bit hardware is more expensive, or like you can even still buy 32bit hardware.

if the software works as 32bit, what's the problem? it's not like 64bit is a life altering thing, it's just the natural evolution of computing.

using 32-bit in a 64 bit environment works just fine so who cares? If you don't need the extra memory addressing abilities, then why bother changing it? thats not "not being taken seriously", its just not necessary for certain programs to need more ram. there are programs that require 64-bit operating systems that take advantage of it. It takes time for these things to move through the pipeline since the sheer volume of legacy hardware out there precludes you from completely doing away with old systems. The games thing is completely different.. thats entirely the fault of consoles and their 5 year old hardware

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I idle at 5 gigs of RAM used until i decide to free some up. I also don't have a problem finding 64 bit software. The trick is not buying anything.

Ha, got you there. The real trick is GNU/GPL is ahead here still.
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.