I need Data Recovery Recommendation

I need to recover some data from a disk that was reformatted. I need advice on what program to use that you can personally vouch for.

Re: I need Data Recovery Recommendation

r-studio makes a good recovery program.

first thing's first though, do not install anything to that drive, don't do anything to it at all! write no data to it.

install the recovery software to another drive.

you'll also want another spare drive to recover data to. don't recover data to the drive with the lost data, it'll only muck things up and cause you to permanently lose data. trust me, i've learned this the hard way!

so get another spare drive the same size or larger than the one with the missing data. might be able to get by with a smaller drive depending on how much data was on the drive.

r-studio is a bit expensive, 80 bucks for the version that will likely suit you best, but if the data is important i would not hesitate.

r-studio is the only recovery app i've used that worked and it worked well. that's the reason i recommend it.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

I second that. Get R-studio. It saved me many times and, in my experience, it "DOES" work better than anything else out there for recovering unreadable data.

It's worth the investment as even my memory cards for the camera and pocket PC get corrupted often, and it works on them too.
    Two power supplies in one case (Connected the green wire) and a Thermaltake 550 PSU in the other.
    Two ASUS M2N-SLI Delux Motherboard
    Athlon X2-6000 and a Phenom 9850
    Big azz 11 bay server tower and a regular 4 bay full size tower. (Noname)
    A speedy PCIe based ATI 1950 chipset and a Radeon 5750 video card.
    4 Gig or 2 Gig Kingston brand (Total 6) DDR2-800 memory
    Around 19 Terabytes in 17 hard drives.
    I refuse to use DVD disks as they die by oxidization, get scratched and would take too many of them to write for the data I have.

I'll vouch for r-studio too but you may have some joy with Recuva, a nice little free app that has succeeded at times where r-studio wasn't available for me.

I tried R-Studio demo. The file names are lost so I had to look at every single file found and there's thousands of them. Unfortunately, the demo has a file size limit so I can't fully test if it found the files I am looking for.

Recuva was useless. I don't think it works for reformatted partitions only files you deleted.