Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DHCP issue

Re: DHCP issue

ok, the MAC address clone? Then rebooting everything?

Sorry, it is one site that I use frequently.

If your ISP assigns your internet address using DHCP, all you should need to do is reboot your modem or disconnect/reconnect it as I mentioned in the last paragraph of my last post.

That doesn't work. It used to before, but I'm not sure when things changed. If it was the dd-wrt or win7. Everytime it's rebooted or disconnect/reconnect, I get the same one.

I'm on a cable modem and the only way that i've been able to change my WAN ip address is by unplugging the modem for a long time (at least an hour) i haven't got the exact timing down, but i know that will work with my ISP.

I've never thought about changing the MAC address to see if it will do that. Next time i'll try that. I do know that some routers will become 'attached' to a MAC address and if you change the MAC you may have to power down the router (sometimes for 5 or 10 minutes) before it will accept a new MAC address. I'm pretty sure that's what the clone MAC feature in routers was originally for.
    [START SIG]
    Chris Heath: ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant by day, tech support and consulting by night.
    [END SIG]

any other suggestions? I still can't solve this issue.

We need some more info... what sites is this happening on?

is this a desktop or laptop? if it's a laptop, can you take the laptop to a coffee shop and access the websites from there?
    [START SIG]
    Chris Heath: ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant by day, tech support and consulting by night.
    [END SIG]

This is happening on a torrent site. Didn't say because I'm not sure if they're frowned upon here or not.

Desktop.

I would unplug your cable modem for a good half hour or hour+ ... leave it off as long as possible ... that may trigger a new ip address for you
    [START SIG]
    [END SIG]

Quote Originally Posted by KDuniverse View Post
    That doesn't work. It used to before, but I'm not sure when things changed. If it was the dd-wrt or win7. Everytime it's rebooted or disconnect/reconnect, I get the same one.
    It won't be related to your PC. It'll either be your router or your ISP.

This is happening on a torrent site. Didn't say because I'm not sure if they're frowned upon here or not.
    They are frowned upon here if they're being used for illegal downloads. As you already know, in this case we only need to know what you want to achieve.

Perhaps you could call your ISP's helpdesk and ask if they've changed the DHCP lease mechanism. Maybe tell them that you want to be able to change it at will for "security reasons". At least doing that may help isolate where the problem is (ISP or router).

First, Mjölnir, great suggestion about contacting your isp about manually changing the ip address for security reasons. Might pay off.

=------------------------=

If this is stooping too low for you please accept this as my apology in advance.

I just want to make sure you're understanding what's going on here since it seems like there might be a bit of confusion.

in the image that i've crudely whipped up in mspaint shows in general how you connect to the internet.

sometimes (dsl especially) the router and the cable modem will be the same pysical box.

the isp will assign a WAN (wide area network aka internet) ip address and the router assigns LAN (local area network aka private range) ip addresses

the LAN addresses are reserved ranges of IP addresses: 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x (almost always in the 192.168 block) -- those addresses are not seen by the websites that you go to...

websites you go to will see any connection from your home network as coming from the WAN ip address that your ISP assigns you... not the local address you see on the pc itself, but the ip you would see if you went to http://ipchicken.com

this WAN address is the one that you wish to change

it might be able to be changed via the router or dsl modem web interface where you can try to put a different MAC address in like was mentioned above to see if you can get a new IP based on that

the interface is accessed via a web browser and by pointing it at the ip address of your 'default gateway' (do a startmenu -> run -> cmd -> ipconfig to get that gateway address)

I still suggest turning off the cable modem for a long period of time to get the wan ip to change

any questions? we're just scratching the surface here

[START SIG]
    [END SIG]

*Pops in*

Your ISP might not reassign a different IP if you change the MAC of the router. It's still the same modem connected.

Don't try to change the IP on the modem, you'll end up having to call your ISP and explain why the modem changed, as accounts are tied to a modem.

If you're determined to get your IP to change, unplug the modem, router, and shut down all computers attached to it overnight. In the morning get up and power it all back on, starting with the modem, then the router, then wait for five or six minutes before powering up the computers.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Desktop.
    lol - getting banned from some normal forum site is understandable
    (everyone has an occasional bad day)

but what do you have to do to get banned from a torrent site?

ccheath brings up a good point, some ISP's have provisioned service where the ISP's port end is used to provide the IP for your connection and doesn't depend on the mac address on your end of the connection.

Thanks for the input. Work is busy, so getting to do this will take me some time.

ip was banned due to too many logins at one time. For some reason, I wasn't getting my pass emailed to me, and kept inputting what I thought was my pass, which was incorrect. And I wasn't banned from the site. I can still access it. Just can't download anything from there or others. For some reason.

Thanks for the diagram, CC. Now I understand the difference between WAN and LAN, and which address is showing to sites.