Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DHCP issue

Re: DHCP issue

Cool, there's probably a much better diagram that i could have just found via a google image search, but i was feeling a bit artistic yesterday.

Do try my and windrunner's suggestion to turn off the router for a long time to get a new wan ip.

I have found here with my isp that is the only way to get it changed (unless they do something on their end, like reset the modem and release/refresh the ip)
    [START SIG]
    Chris Heath: ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant by day, tech support and consulting by night.
    [END SIG]

Great, thank you again. I know it's frowned upon here to talk about torrents, but I do have a question about the client. Now, I have had issues since this happened with the IP and one particular site. I am having issues dl'ing from various other sites too. Do you think it's still the IP issue, or am I having a world of other problems? I will start with turning everything off for a while and see what happens though.

You could have got onto a shared blocklist, or the sites are related and use the same blocklist already. Not too sure about that kind of stuff. I'm not really a torrent expert.
    [START SIG]
    Chris Heath: ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant by day, tech support and consulting by night.
    [END SIG]

Quote Originally Posted by KDuniverse View Post
    Thanks for the input. Work is busy, so getting to do this will take me some time.

ip was banned due to too many logins at one time. For some reason, I wasn't getting my pass emailed to me, and kept inputting what I thought was my pass, which was incorrect. And I wasn't banned from the site. I can still access it. Just can't download anything from there or others. For some reason.
    Sometimes antivirus software and firewalls can affect this. Tried disabling those temporarily to see if that helps?

Some bittorrent clients are, shall we say, abusive. Do some research on your client and make sure it isn't one that siphons network resources without giving back.

Especially if you're on a private site, you may have downloaded too much without giving enough back to the community. With linux distros and OSS distributed over torrent, it's expected.

You might also check the status of your tracker manually by looking at your torrents and seeing what trackers they report to. That's outside the scope of this thread and forum if you're not on the up-and-up with what you're downloading. You'd have to ask somewhere else.

Bittorrent is awesome tech, and like all tech it's blind to who's using it for what.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

I'm guessing this all started with the addition of win7, and trying to setup everything in utorrent all over again. I may have screwed something up, and therefore am not allowed. I was reading that the ip banning only lasts about an hour or so. That shouldn't be an issue any longer. Is this forum the correct place to start up a new thread about utorrent and win7? Or can it stay here?

My ratios have always been good. Settings are correct on the bt client as well. Always read the faq and rules...

Well, utorrent likely has their own forums and can help you set your client to less aggressive settings, I'd ask there about specifically configuring utorrent for your uses.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by KDuniverse View Post
    Is this forum the correct place to start up a new thread about utorrent and win7? Or can it stay here?
    It's your thread - you can continue the discussion in here if you like or you can create a new thread.

As long as people are aware that this forum doesn't condone piracy and so long as piracy doesn't enter this discussion, I don't see why we can't discuss it here

Also agree with Windrunner's advice. Might be worth asking at uTorrent's own forum. There's more likely to be folks who have a better understanding of that software over there.

Ok. Will do.

Does anyone here use torrents that may be able to help? Even off forum? I still am unclear as to what my problem is. I have figured it wasn't the IP banning, but since that day, I have this issue of not connecting to anything any longer. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by KDuniverse; 11-04-2009 at 07:39 AM.

So, I had some time today to fool around with this. I decided to uninstall and reinstall utorrent, and wham! It works. I guess when the banned ip thing happened, it was just a coincidence of something else not working. Remember, this was just around the same time win7 was installed, so maybe it never worked correctly.

I thank everyone for taking the time to help out and provide ideas and support. Great place with great people.