Thread: New 5800 System

New 5800 System

I really want to try out the new ATI 5800 series of cards but wonder if I am jumping the gun a little bit, but I have seem several posts indicating a rise in price may actually be coming so am not sure what to do, the price of my 295's has been relatively stable for a year now. The 5850's are selling for $300 Canadian so a pair would only run me $600 and I have extra power supplies, cases, ram? and I have a Q6600 cpu that's literally being wasted.

I suppose what I really want to do is cut down on the number of systems and instead only run systems with some true power. Ideally I would love to find a mother board that can run 2 5850's and 1 GTX 260 if that is even possible, as I would like to dump my 4400+/GTX 260 and my straight Q6600. In addition to this system I would continue to run my i7 920 with 2 GTX 295's. I don't want to add a 4 system but move to just 2 for now. I don't have any experience running ATI and am wondering also if it might be wise to wait for the GTX 300 series.

I don't have a whole lot of cash as I am on a disability pension and have been for over 20 years but I really enjoy running Boinc and being a member of the Killer Frogs.

With the move to charging more for electricity during prime demand periods ( up to double) if I set my systems to only run during the non peak periods I hope to save enough cash to keep enjoying my hobby for some time to come.

Any advice as to how I can accomplish my goals if they are even possible would be appreciated. Unfortunately I don't know anyone else who shares an interest in Crunching as we need help at the moment. We are a small team but put up impressive numbers, we are at #30 worldwide.

I hate to even think about the team folding at some time in the future but the costs of running multiple systems is getting prohibitively high but if it should happen I hope that we can instead of gradually slipping away one cruncher at a time, band together and make the move together, I am sure lots of teams would love to add us to their membership. In fact I am not sure how we could go about it but instead of trying to recruit new members maybe we should look to trying to attract new teams to merge'

Paul

Re: New 5800 System

What do you mean by 'merge" Paul?
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Are you saying we should possibly look at merging with other teams like Team Picard? Or merging forces with our Folding team?

I wish I had more experience with crunching on the video cards. From what I've read, people have had success combining ATI and Nvidia cards into one computer to gain extra video outputs. Not sure what the repercussions would be for BOINC or even to your gaming experience.

I'm only crunching on my one machine, it's all I can afford to do. It's time for an upgrade, and I think I'll look into one of those vid cards I can add to my crunching.

As soon as I can afford it.
    ASUS A8N5X | Athlon 64 X2 4600+| Stock AMD heatsink and fan | 2x1G Corsair PC3500 | WD 250 Gig 7200/Maxtor 30 Gig 7200 | Sony DVDRW| NEC DVD/RW | eVGA 9600GTS | XPCBox w/Antec 500 TruPower PS | WinXP Pro SP3

Every day Gregory Peccary would get into his little red Volkswagen and drive to the ugly side of town, where they keep the government buildings.

I wonder what he means too. My guess would be to combine with another team and make a team of teams.

I just made it back to the site today to see what was going on and I am confused by what I wrote just as much as everyone else is, so let me start over.

Obviously if we don't do something to attract new members our standing is going to slide and fast, we are at 30 and the overtake stats show it will be a year before we pass another team, but 5 teams are set to pass us in the next 120 days. It seems that it is no longer just a case of being able to afford the hardware in fact that is the cheapest part of running Boinc these days it the electricity that is the real killer. I have my i7 920 with Dual 295's, a Q6600 that is not worth the money to run for the numbers it produces without a video card and a 4400+ with a BFG 260 Maxcore that never even gets warm even highly overclocked it hits low 40's on 55% fan, the 295's run mid to upper 60's on 100% fan, but they are heavily overclocked. I figure some of my cost will be offset by free cooling, just keep the room cold, in the summer that meant air conditioning. My computer room is part of a large L-Shaped room with them in the L part and in the summer it would get 10-15 degrees warmer than the room attached to it, now any heat is a bonus.

The Q6600 is a piece of crap bare-bones I grabbed because my computer died and I needed something and I was converting lots of video and it was good at that. I knew that I had some money coming as my Mother was terminal at the time, that's why I was finally able to get a decent computer, I wanted one that would not need upgrading in the future. I am broke all the time otherwise as I have been on a Provincial Disability Pension and have been since 1989, it was $708 in 1989 and had managed to hit $779/month 20 years later when my mom passed away, now I get the max $1020 but it took a long time for the increase to go through and I got a check for $1900 a month and a half ago and it is just dwindling with nothing to show for it so I am considering buy a pair of 5850, $630 Canadian, I have the Q6600, a power supply, extra memory, I will just need a Motherboard but I want one that can hold 2 ati cards and 1nvidia so it may be costly and while I have several cases the 3 video card would mean a new one for sure. I am going to cannibalize everything I can and just go with 2 systems and no plan or need to upgrade for a long time. We are on smart meters now and apparently you can log on and see you real time usage something I am looking into. But the winter rates are 7am-11am 9.3 cents/kwh, 11am-5pm 8 cents, 5pm-9pm 9.3 cents and 9pm-7am 4.4 cents/kwh so I may end up having to run only during certain hours as well.

My Mom actually left a good sized estate but my share was all put in something called a Henson Trust to protect my benefits, but it works because you inherit nothing the trust inherits and owns everything it's a person and files it's own tax return. It owns the $550,000 House I live in, in fact I actually rent the house from my trust, I have to pay $500 out of my Monthly check for $1020 to my own trust but it means I don't get to have the money. The trust is allowed to give me up to $6000/year in cash no more no matter how much is in the trust, so they just keep it for the rent, and I live on the whole $1020 per month. The bonus is they own the house so the trust pays all the bills, like gas and electric, but it is my money really and I never even see the bills and really have no idea what I am spending, they can pay for certain things the rules are not clear, apparently they can buy things for me just not let me buy them, as technically they will own it, but I have no say over how they spend it, I also own 1/2 a beautiful oceanfront co-op in Florida that has been on the market for a year and a half and costs my brother and I about $15,000us/year just to own and never use. We started listing at $269,000 and are now at $210,000, three and a half years ago we could have sold it in a few weeks for over $500,000. I get $12,000/year in cash benefits but the Lawyer charges $8,000/year, but I get drug and dental. In July I became a Legally Licensed Medical Marijuana User, originally allowed 3 grams per day, but legally could carry up to 90grams at anytime and grow up to 15 plants in my house and store up to 675grams, but even from a compassion club I was paying $280-$335/oz or around $900/month, I had to start growing which I knew nothing about let alone starting a 15 plant grow-op in my basement and having to produce Medical Grade Cannabis. Luckily I managed to hook up with someone who is going to act as my designated grower, they have 17 years experience and a vast knowledge of it medical use as it is really quite complex when you get into it. She was growing illegally and wanted to do it legally, a 3 gram a day license is too small for most growers to consider as you can only grow for 2 people max. But I managed to get my dose doubled to 6 grams/day (as if I could smoke 6 1/2 ounces a month) but she can now grow 22 plants inside and 6 outdoors more than enough for both of us and I only pay $100/oz.

I am likely going to have lots of spare parts to get rid of it I do this the way I want and will let it go for the cost of shipping but it may be awhile until I am ready.

There are over 84,000 boinc teams, many of them just have one or two members, those are the people I suggest we try and contact. I was a team of one for over a year it was only when the project shut down and everyone was looking for somewhere to go that I hooked up with the frogs as I followed a few of them. We have a great team, on a great website, and the old mascot is pretty cool as well.

I hope to be able to have some free time to try out recruiting people but I don't intend to approach large existing teams to try and poach members, I may start with the listings of people who join Boinc the same day I am looking and my not have a team. Many people who are on the one and two person teams I think would enjoy the experience of being part of a larger team and community, but I am a Frog to the end I have no desire to go anywhere else, I will stay till the pond runs dry. I hope this makes more sense I don't want to merge with so much as assimilate new members or small teams.

Paul

One 5870 puts out 225,000 per day In Milkyway. The 5850 would put out something close, like 85%.

I can't believe we are down to 30 members. Times really must be bad.

One 4850 puts out 60,000 per day. I have a new machine in the garage hooked up to a Kill-a-watt meter. (E3200@3.2gig) With the 4850 fully loaded it draws 150 watts.
    It costs $10.60 per month for 1,800,000 points. On a CPU you would get about 60,000 points for the month for about the same cost.
    It makes NO since to crunch on a CPU anymore. You can get a 4850 on ebay for $61 - $75... for the price of a quad you can get two or three.

Quote Originally Posted by MJD1964 View Post

It gets worse. In 2 weeks the team will drop 2 places(from 30th to 32nd). Team BOINC@MIXI , and team Sicituradastra. The are outproducing the frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by MJD1964 View Post

Howdy folks... Don't mean to crash your thread but you can make that 31

I just got home from the sandbox a week ago and slowly getting R/L things in order.

For what it's worth, as soon as I can I'll get the old rigs cleaned up and dusted out and see if they still live. Any recommendations on upgrades would be appreciated. Been out of the loop for some time now.

Happy Holidays to All!!!

Dusty

best upgrade to make is a video card. Pick your poison nvidia or ATI which ever you like there is work to crunch for them.