Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Those who upgraded from C2D to i5 or i7.. worth it?

I've read a lot on the new i5 and i7, perhaps too much as I had not planned on upgrading this time around but amg getting the upgrade itch anyway. Trying to get some real end user input on this new series as I have seen some pretty attractive upgrade combos floating about and know there will be more around the holidays. Firstly, I really have no need for a quad core. If I did I'd have gotten a C2D with one. I know some of you use every bit of 4 cores with hyper-threading but not me any more. My main usage for CPU pony is gaming and barely any games are using more than one core anyway which sucks as you almost cannot buy a single core cpu any more.

Anyway. I've seen upgrade combos for both the i5 and 17 with MOBO for under $300. My current setup is a C2D E6850 at 3.6Ghz(9x400) stock vcore on air with 4GB OCZ DDR2 Reaper 6400 4-4-4-15, GTX 275 and booting from a Gen1 X-25 SSD. Is there anyone whom upgraded from a similar setup who does/does not feel it was worth the $$??

TIA
    Scoot
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Re: Those who upgraded from C2D to i5 or i7.. worth it?

Depends, but you have heard that before. I went from E8400 at 3.3 G to i7 920 at 3.6 G. For me was worth it, but I try to do more than ten things at once. . With the i7, does not even slow down. I will be browsing, running newsleecher, coverting some audio file, running mail, converting video all at the same time while playing some solitaire waiting for all to finish. So yes, I can see a difference. But just playing game, then do not think it is worth it yet, since most games I have seen, rarely use more than one core at a time.
    Mr. Spock, how do I set my laser printer to stun?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Box 1 Full Tower (2 80mm & 2 120 mm fans)--MSI P6N Plat--Intel E6700--Zalman 9500--G.Skill 6400PHU2-2GB--OCZ 700W--XFX-GF7600GT--WD Rapture 150 GB--2 Samsung 500 GB--optical Pioneer & LG

Box2 Lian Li 70 series (6 120mm fans)--Abit IP35 Pro--Intel E8400 @3.3G--Zalman 9700--8 G memory G Skill F2-6400L4--GeForce 8600 GT--PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad--WD Raptor 150--2) WD 1 TB--1.5 TB Samsung--Asus & Pioneer Opticals

Box3 Lian Li 70 serics (6 120mm fans)--ASRock X58 Extreeme---Intel i7 920 @3.6G--Cooler Master V8 (mod with 120mm silverstone fan)--12 G memery G Skill--G Force GTX 260--PC Power & Cooling 750 QB--WD 2.5 Raptor 300--2) Samsung 1.5 TB--2) WD 1 TB--Plextor & LiteOn optical

Thanks for the input... I'm basically looking for someone to talk me outta what I know is probably an unnecessary upgrade.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

You do know that i5 / i7 have Turbo mode for single thread right?

Core i9 launches this spring with 6 cores, core i7 prices will go down. USB 3.0 and SATA 6G aren't really supported yet, they kind of have rickety implementations at the moment.

32NM parts are launching soon, current 45NM parts aren't worth it, and building your own LGA1156 system is like shirking socket 939 for socket 754 back in the day.

Plus DDR3 isn't quite at the sweet spot yet, it needs another 6 months and it'll be 10 to 15 dollars / gig for 4 and 8 gig sticks ( possibly 6 gig sticks, but I doubt it )

Edit:

Also, there is no new "Crysis" out to make it worth the investment. Crysis 2 is a console port.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    You do know that i5 / i7 have Turbo mode for single thread right?
    Yes.. I also know that both cores on my C2D run at 3.6Ghz without so much as a vcore or mem voltage bump. So even with their single threaded turbo they have little advantage over my current C2D. At those speeds the games on a i5/i7/C2D would be GPU not CPU limited.

-The Gipper

Depends on the games, some are more processor intensify others are more gpu bound.

As for core speed, careful there is more to it then just the advertised speed.

However, comes down to the one fact.

Does your system do what you want it to do?

Depends on the games, some are more processor intensify others are more gpu bound.

As for core speed, careful there is more to it then just the advertised speed.
    Amen to that. Heck, I had a P4 running at 4GHz years ago.

However, comes down to the one fact.

Does your system do what you want it to do?
    For the time being yes. All the games I currently play with maxed out settings run smoothe and I've never ben able to out type a 486dx 4. I don't do video encoding any more. It's just the deals I keep seeing for the new i5 & i7's that are giving me the upgrade itch. Someone please stop me before it's too late...

-The Gipper

Someone please stop me before it's too late...
    Now your tempting my evil side.... you know there shiny... more shiny then your current rig....

I went from a Core 2 Duo E6600 to a Core i5. I noticed that Sacred 2 performs better on the Core i5 cpu, as does the more recent game Dragon Age Origins. However if you already have a quad core chip, it doesn't pay to upgrade.

I went from an e6600 to an i7 I noticed a substantial increase in performance in all my games, GTA 4 was the most noticeable + 20 FPS and crysis also had improvements (unfortunatly the gameplay was still very yawn!) .
    With the I7 I can now render Video, render an animation and play any game I like all at the same time just by allocating seperate threads.

But if it is extra fps you require only I would probably get a new graphics card ATI 5850 vs 4870 (my old card) massive increase in fps.

The thread title peaked my interest.

I'm still on my E6600 and manage to play everything (COD:MW2, Fallout 3 etc) fine at 1920x1680. It probably still works so well after over two years due to a graphic card upgrade last year.

If I'm not mistaken, it's still the fastest single GPU card by nVidia.

Save money, wait until you just get fed up by your computer crashing from the 48 megapixel photos you try to edit.

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

you can go here and check out the differences...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?b=48
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

That's a great link.

Compared a C2D E6550 to a i5 750:

Photo Shop 4: almost 50% gain
    Fallout 3: 16%

With my current favorite game I'd probably see a minute difference. My current digital camera currently doesn't take 48mp images.
    And photomatix (application to create HDR images) is more memory dependent.

For me, it'll still be worth to hold on to my current rig. Threads like these are a welcome sight a few times a year.

Thanks!

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

I just used that link to compare my Q9650 to an i7 920..and surprisingly, for me its a big fat NO......the Q9650 is so close to the 920 , it would be huge waste of money to upgrade....

now excuse me while I figure out what to do with the new i7 parts I bought...