Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Re: I overclocked, now what? :)

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy983 View Post
    Well, against my better judgement, I decided to upgrade my motherboard. It's ok though, because my brother is looking to build a new system, and figured he could use this one.

Ended up with the Gigabyte MA-GA790X, based off the 790/750 chipset combo.

Also purchased the Xigamatek (sp) "dark knight" heatsink with 120mm fan, and a tube of as5.

When I get new motherboard, gonna start a new thread with the overclocking results.
    Ahhhh the addiction of it all!!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

question is, will he put the tornado on it just to see if he can get just a little more!

ud

Well, against my better judgement, I decided to upgrade my motherboard. It's ok though, because my brother is looking to build a new system, and figured he could use this one.

Ended up with the Gigabyte MA-GA790X, based off the 790/750 chipset combo.

Also purchased the Xigamatek (sp) "dark knight" heatsink with 120mm fan, and a tube of as5.

When I get new motherboard, gonna start a new thread with the overclocking results.
    As jedihobbit points out... it is addictive. I swapped out my ASUS P5KC P35 chipset which ran my Q9550 at 3.6Ghz all day/night with stock v's and the memory 1:1 at tight timings. WHy you ask...?? Well I'll tell ya... because it came with a south bridge that did not support AHCI and it really grated my nerves that I could not even get an add-on PCIE card to work with AHCI enabled in it. Like AHCI has any impact on SSD's at all. Bleh...

So... off to the backup rig my faithful P5KC goes and is now running a E6300 at 3.7Ghz.. stock vcore.

Now I have this MSI P45 Platinum which is supposed to OC like a beast. I got a great egg deal on it with a rebate to boot! YAY right? Newer chipset and a southbridge that supports AHCI, some really fancy looking passive cooling for the NB/SB/power delivery systems and more buzzers and bells overall.

But.. First it did not like to run over 400FSB at all. Any setting over 400... boom.. no bootey. After 1 sleepless night I figure out the issue. They have jumpers on the mobo for those who want to OC outside the BIOS. I figured if I left it set to default I'd be fine. WRONG. I had to remove the jumpers completely. A lil diddy that never made it into their instruction manual or onto their forums. So now I can boot over 400... well over 400... but not with any stability like my poor old P5KC. SO I'm still "stuck" at 400 FSB which leaves me at 3.4Ghz till I figure out WTF this issue is. And I refuse to add more vcore when I know darn well this chip will run at 3.6+ at stock settings with this very same memory. Oh ya.. and now when I come out of sleep mode sometimes my 1.5TB RAID1 goes bye~bye causing me to do a reboot if I wanna get at my data. AHCI is sooo much better than simple IDE mode... really... I have to keep telling myself that. But hey... this is progress/an improvement right??

Anyway... sorry for the rant. Yes.. OC'ing is addictive. And it's amazing how we'll rationalize a purchase for the hope a few extra MHZ. Keep us updated on how your new MOBO works out.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by jedihobbit View Post
    Ahhhh the addiction of it all!!
    Yeah, it is! It's like a sickness.

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    question is, will he put the tornado on it just to see if he can get just a little more!

ud

Well, the new HSF is 85cfm, so it's slightly better than the tornado. Unless I'm mistaken, the lower RPM on the fan should blow slightly cooler air as well, since it is "moving" slower. I will, however, use the tornado, at a lower RPM as a new intake fan, I figure about 50 cfm or so should be fine.

I am surprised, ordered the stuff on the 16th and it's already scheduled for delivery today. They have a facility in NJ, about 30 mins away, so that probably why.

Gotta give the egg props though for not sitting on the order just to get the 3 days out of the delivery time.

BTW this is the motherboard that did well in reviews with the kuma, so hoping for the same. In any event, it gets rid of the nasty memory overvolt which was annoying me. Running at 1.80 was actually running at 1.84. Makes little difference at that voltage, but when you start raising it, it's really not fun.

We do come up with all sorts of things to rationalize, but I can get rid of this old motherboard, pseudo gift to my brother for his new rig. So, it's not all that bad.
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

We do come up with all sorts of things to rationalize, but I can get rid of this old motherboard, pseudo gift to my brother for his new rig. So, it's not all that bad.
    A LOT of my relatives end up with upgrades that way.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper