Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Audigy 2 vs Onboard

I once had a motherboard with a VIA soundchip onboard. I've missed that sound ever since.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

I like my onboard sound better. I bought a Creative xf-i card, and drivers were a pain in the neck on windows 7.Also, every time I used the creative card, nothing but pops thru my klipsh speakers. The only thing i did miss was the equalizer on the creative card. Thankfully, somebody at tom's hardware forum posted a link on how the get the equalizer back on realktek HD.
    Here's the link if anybody is interested:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...altek#t1998256

Didnt even notice this thread got picked up with replies, I stopped checking after there was no replies after Sick Willy for a week and was just going to test them both on my own etc etc, however I found out very quickly that my choice was made for me by the fact that my motherboard (or Win7, or Win7 + the mobo, dunno) seems to sporadically detect my Audigy.
    Only about 1 times in 7 is the audigy even available in my sound device options, and thus I couldnt even install the non-official drivers for it reliably.

After looking it up on their page, its pretty much been labeled by Creative as not really being compatible with Windows 7 (though now I can't bring up the page i saw that on), but after looking up the price on new sound cards I said no thanks at the time and just went with my onboard.

Pretty much for music and general use it is fine, but the EAX in games is total crap compared to my audigy. So the onboard is essentially a downgrade from 8 year old technology...

If only my audigy would be recognized by my system!

I haven't seen any games lately that even support EAX.

I miss the special Creative function from BF2. BFbc2 doesn'te seem to be optimized - it might still sound better.

What drivers are you using on Windows 7?

I've had zero problems with my card in Windows 7. Just finding the right collection of installers was a pain though - I like the fancy console!

Q9300 with 4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines
    Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5500 & Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and HD 595
    plus the usual stuff in a poorly designed Antec P180 PW case

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectShot View Post

I miss the special Creative function from BF2. BFbc2 doesn'te seem to be optimized - it might still sound better.

I've had zero problems with my card in Windows 7. Just finding the right collection of installers was a pain though - I like the fancy console!
    I'm using these third party drivers for my X-fi (Win 7 x64 ultimate).

No installer issues, work great...I believe a couple of other froggies are using these as well

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    I'm using these third party drivers for my X-fi (Win 7 x64 ultimate).

No installer issues, work great...I believe a couple of other froggies are using these as well

Matt
    Is there any reason to use these versus the official drivers?

Am I missing some features? I'll post the installers I use tonight if I remember.

UltraSharp 2408WFP (needs to be RMA'ed) on GeForce GTX 285 on two 18 amp 12V lines

Is there any reason to use these versus the official drivers?

Am I missing some features? I'll post the installers I use tonight if I remember.
    Those drivers I linked to are modded drivers... If you can't install the "official" x-fi drivers.

They install as one package, no separate downloads to keep track of, etc.

The drivers themselves are based on the official ones, however these all work; Unlike the "official" x-fi creative drivers.

Well thats probably because you have a X-Fi (if your sig is correct) and I have the older Audigy 2?

The drivers I downloaded and tried installing were the daniel_k modded ones since they are actively supported by him and the creative forum community etc etc.
    However since my system won't even recognize that I have the card plugged in, drivers dont particularly matter (and as a result it wont let me install them if it doestn detect the card).

I forget that I don't own the Audigy anymore... All these name changes.

Hope those "unofficial" drivers will work for all those W7 users out there...

But back to the forum topic - I still think that even with the drivers alone, and Creative Consoles, an external soundcard is a must! Just skip the bloatware and you'll be good to game and watch blu-rays!

Quote Originally Posted by schiz0 View Post
    Well thats probably because you have a X-Fi (if your sig is correct) and I have the older Audigy 2?

The drivers I downloaded and tried installing were the daniel_k modded ones since they are actively supported by him and the creative forum community etc etc.
    However since my system won't even recognize that I have the card plugged in, drivers dont particularly matter (and as a result it wont let me install them if it doestn detect the card).
    If your system doesn't recognize that you have a card plugged in, it's probably not a Windows 7 problem either.

Why not? It recognizes it sometimes, but most times no. Pretty much 15% of the time it'll show up. The rest it doesnt. It worked perfectly before I changed hardware and OS. If it didnt show up at all in the change then i could understand but the fact it shows up some of the time tells me its not that the card is toast.

Why not? It recognizes it sometimes, but most times no. Pretty much 15% of the time it'll show up. The rest it doesnt. It worked perfectly before I changed hardware and OS. If it didnt show up at all in the change then i could understand but the fact it shows up some of the time tells me its not that the card is toast.
    Is the card fully seated?

Are the contacts clean?

I guess it all comes down to what you actually mean versus what you actually say. If Windows 7 sees a device, but won't/can't install the driver or otherwise correctly identify the device, I would say the OS could be at fault. If the OS does not find any device at all part of the time (no sound device and no unidentified device in Device Manager) I would suspect the hardware. Maybe not the card itself. Could be contacts on the card or slot as mmettin mentioned. Could be another device (onboard audio in particular) conflicting with the IO addresses the discrete card wants to use (which could implicate plug and play in the BIOS - I always specify non plug and play OS - thus forcing the BIOS to do what I consider to rightfully be its job [there are exceptions to this that are machine specific, but I've found no true clone boards that fall into this category]).

The hardware should show up as some device (in Device Manager) irregardless of whether the OS can correctly identify and use it or not.