Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So

So

I think my IDE Plextor PX712A is on it's last leg, trying to get sony SATA drive to work in CentOS, xine and vlc say they can't read anything with the following:

/dev/dvd
    /dev/dvd-sr0
    /dev/scd0

any help appreciated!

Re: So

Go to your /dev directory and do a ls -l That should show you what /dev/dvd is linked to. If its still linked to /dev/hdb then they need to be updated. If your drive is /dev/sdc I would try (as a test) to tell Xine to use /dev/sdc Tell it to use the drive, not a particular partition (/dev/sdc0).

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Nov 23 18:31 dvd -> hdb
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Nov 23 18:31 dvd-hdb -> hdb
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Nov 23 18:31 dvdrw -> hdb
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Nov 23 18:31 dvdrw-hdb -> hdb
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Nov 23 18:31 dvdrw-sr0 -> scd0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Nov 23 18:31 dvd-sr0 -> scd0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Nov 23 18:31 dvdwriter -> hdb
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Nov 23 18:31 dvdwriter-hdb -> hdb
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Nov 23 18:31 dvdwriter-sr0 -> scd0

that is ls-l in /dev

setting to /dev/scd, had no effect.

gotta tell you, wierdness, may be time for an entire system upgrade.......

if I put the jumper on (to disable dma) on the plextor, set bios to be pio4, pnp o/s to yes......... I get this.....

/dev/hdb:
    IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
    unmaskirq = 1 (on)
    using_dma = 1 (on)
    keepsettings = 0 (off)
    readonly = 0 (off)
    readahead = 256 (on)
    HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

and the plextor will randomly work or not work....if I take the jumper off, set bios to dma enabled, and either PNP yes or no, it flat out refuses to play ANY DVD, and it will change the above to 16bit, 0, 0, 0, 0, 256

3 different drives (2 PATA, 1 SATA), 2 different PC's, and I can't get any of the 3 to play a DVD, WTH?!?!!?!?

not getting anymore ideas? Well more info, I've installed an NEC3550A, and the Sony is a AW-G170S.

K3B, reports no disk in the drive if I put a retail DVD in, both drives report correctly for blank burnable DVD and CD media.

Winblows could not see the movie disks either.

Further info, xine plays movies d/l and burned (questionably), quite well, has something changed with libdvdcss 1.2.10? hmmmmmmm...............

memtest
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

from a term session as root:

This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.5.
    (c) 2000-2007 The xine Team.
    libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
    libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/hda3 mounted on / for CSS authentication
    libdvdnavVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
    libdvdnavVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
    libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
    libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
    libdvdread: Could not open /dev/hdb with libdvdcss.
    libdvdread: Can't open /dev/hdb for reading

So I yum removed libdvdnav, no avail........still searching, seems many have this issue, something has apparently changed with my system, it has been playing these movies for years, and they play fine, in a set top dvd player. So the disks are NOT bad.

You've tried this across Windows and Linux and tried 3 different drives (using 2 different interfaces). I'm at a complete loss here.

Have you had any further success? Could this possibly be a BIOS issue? I'm grasping at straws now.

Re: So [SOLVED]

Thanks Everyone, problem Solved! Purchase of a shiny new Plextor PX-B320SA, and it's EASILY playing everything I have.

Root cause, is yet to be determined, I have a feeling, since there is only one HDD connected to the IDE interface now, either that ribbon cable is bad, the drivers are bad (Nvidia), or the interface is bad, I haven't checked the Sony yet, as it is now scd1, but I will and post back to see if it's working.

Although, since it's happening on two different PC's, I may just have two bad PATA DVD Burners.

Now I just gotta figure out how to make Linux play Blu Rays and I'll be one happy camper!!!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'll post back for future reference with the root cause!

We'll have to share our BluRay experiences. I've been wanting to buy one so I could rent some movies and play them on my projector, but I haven't seen anything too promising yet.

Its possible to play some movies on some BluRay readers (not all of them will playback in Linux), and then there's the legal side of it. Honestly its such a fuzzy section I don't know if its allowed in Canada (let alone in the US).

So I haven't bought one yet. But maybe I will soon.

We will definitely share info! Further investigation, PX-712A, both PC's 3 operating systems, 2 IDE ribbons (one brand new), R.I.P. PX-712A.

The Sony cannot play, connected as scd1, I will reboot at some time, and change connectors so that is scd0, and see if it works, I'm about to test the NEC3550A, however, I feel it will also be R.IP.

How STRANGE to have 3 burners die at nearly identical times?!?!

As far as the Blu Ray, the new Plexy came with software for XP, so should play them all, and be legal..............however, I ONLY boot into WINBLOWS, when I absolutely have NO other choice, so I may just stick to what it's capable of in Linux, and use DVD's until there is a better solution, in the mean time, we will share our endeavors, I can tell you with the new drive, the DVD's even look better, using OPEN GL as the video driver in Xine.
    Last edited by Jackal; 12-03-2009 at 11:23 PM.

^^^If you want to see some really good DVD playback on Linux, get your self a modern Nvidia card and their drivers up & running. Then use Xine with vdpau compiled into it. Vdpau off loads all the video processing to the Cuda enabled GPU. Vdpau is Nvidia's Linux version of their PureVideo (think that's what they call it) system for Windows.

With this enabled, my CPU usage remains extremely low, even when I'm watching a lot of fast action HD videos.

On Distros like Ubuntu, they have been compiling vdpau into Xine and Mplayer for a while now. Not sure if CentOS is doing that too, but I'd expect so. So if you've got the right hardware, and enabled the propriety Nvidia drivers, you should be good to go!
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 12-04-2009 at 01:17 AM.

I have an Nvidia 8600 GT, which, as I have read does support vpdau (all above a 7600GT), whether I need to recompile Xine I don't know, if so, no big deal, as I have learned from you .

It is late, and I have work, and then a Xmas party to go to tomorrow, so I shall attempt all this tomorrow, I think perhaps the new transformers, or maybe GI Joe, will be my 1st Blu Ray attempt.

I must admit, with the removal of the dead PX-712A, this CentOS system has returned to it's ridiculously stable, and fast behavior, as is the Gentoo server!!!!! Yippie!
    Last edited by Jackal; 12-04-2009 at 02:27 AM.