Thread: DNS messed

DNS messed

question...
    can a virus/worm change the DNS network settings from the original : Obtain DNS automatically to a preset DNS number ???

Re: DNS messed

I have seen viruses go in and alter the hosts file causing problems for certain sites. Mainly to prevent access for anti-virus updates. But that's going back a few years ago.

I presume that Microsoft now protects the hosts file. But I would be surprised if the attackers have evolved their approach to overcome this.

As far as changing your network settings...not sure. Could anyone else have modified that setting?

Need a little more description of whats actually happening, has the setting for dns servers been changed to static assignment or have the numbers simply changed?

it was always on obtain dns automatically, and now its been set to static, and when i did a dns look up on the numbers, it was located in sweeden, and i'm on Aliant in nova scotia canada

i have reset the dns to be assigned automatically again. the pc was hellish slow and it would not allow any microsoft site to open nor would any updates install.

> i backed up formated and installed windows 7 .

It was just strange to see those static dns numbers...why i was wondering about a virus/worm

Quote Originally Posted by MousePotato View Post
    question...
    can a virus/worm change the DNS network settings from the original : Obtain DNS automatically to a preset DNS number ???
    Yes, without a doubt. Smitfraudfix (as well as other programs) will even alert you if it sees this. Combofix is fairly good about rectifying this on its own (and I sincerely hope that the author produces a 64 bit compatible version as some point in time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_hij...gue_DNS_server

An infamous/notorious one is the 85.255.x.x hijack.