is DDR3 ram worth the extra 60$ for the motherboard for lower budget gamer

hi guys

i'm building myself a lower budget gaming system(my first build), gonna be running my pc OS as well games at 720 p 1366 by 768. Not sure of what Video card i'll get but i will be buy a phenom II 965 3.4 ghz for this rig. I am wonder if i should be looking for the ddr3 setup? or is ddr2 ram all i will be needing and i should save the money on ram/motherboard?
    would it make a difference with the badass phenom that i will be purchasing? keep in mind that i'm only gaming/computing at 720p for the foreseen future until my TV dies

As well i'm gonna save money and not load up on too much ram when i first build my pc. Will one stick of 4gb ddr2 or ddr3 work, can pc's run off one stick? would it work better with 2 sticks of 2gb ?

appreciate any insight

Re: is DDR3 ram worth the extra 60$ for the motherboard for lower budget gamer

here is a site with a straight foreward answer to help you out.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/h...les/12461.aspx

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

DDR 2 is now more expensive then DDR 3

yeah, definitelly learned some from the article but i notced that ddr3 4g sticks are similar priced to DDr2. The saving's for me comes through a cheaper motherboard and the fact that i already have some sticks of ddr2 512mb(not much but at a couple of those to a 4 gb stick and it all helps)

so now my question is about the amount of sticks. Might sound like a dumb question but can you run a pc with one stick of ram? every pc that iv'e bought came with 2 sticks. if i go ddr3 i plan on buying just one stick of 4gb and then upgrading when i have more luit to spend. one stick work? will it work as well as 2X 2gig sticks?

phenom 965 if it matter's
    Last edited by Johnnyblazzwa; 11-30-2009 at 09:04 PM.