Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Video: Building a New PC Tutorial and Walkthrough

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=824

Thought you wall might enjoy seeing this. Let me know what you think!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Re: Video: Building a New PC Tutorial and Walkthrough

Nice build, I like the case but the price and size may stop me from buying. I noticed you left out your SB X-fi, is that not going in this build? Overall great Vid, I think it will help to reassure allot of first time builders. Now it’s time for you to update your system specs.

BF3 Dino:
    i7 2600k, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, 8GB Corsair, X-25M 120GB, WD 300GB Raptor, 2xEVGA GTX570HD 2.5GB, X-fi Titanium, Antec 1200W.
    Monster: i7 930, MSI X58 Platinum, 9GB Corsair, WD 74GB Raptor, WD 2TB, Palit GTX460 1GB, PCP&C 750W.
    Beast: AMD4400+, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, 2GB Corsair, 2x 1TB WD Green Raid0, 2TB WD Green, KFA2 9600GT, Dynex 500W.
    Relic: Intel P4 3.2GHz, Asus P4SD-LA, 1.5 GB PC2700, 160GB WD, 120GB Maxtor, ATI 9600Pro, Dynex 500W.

Thanks for the ride along on you build. I just built my new system about a month ago with a smaller budget but went with the core i5 and an asus p7p55d pro motherboard. If I had known about the soon to be released usb3 board you used I probably would have gone with one of those for future proofing too.

I've been looking for a cpu cooler for the I5 as I'm not fond of the stock fan. It does an ok job, but not quite as good as I'd like. I think I'll pick up the cooler you used once I get through Christmas/New Year.

I used a Antec P183 chasis and am loving the space, but I really like the case you used. Perhaps the next system after this one... in a few years.

Loving the speed compared to the AMD 3200+ computer that was my main system. I'm thinking of turning that old system into a Window Home Server box. What do you think? Will it be sucking down too much energy or is it a little slow for the job? (It's on an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard.)

nice video! and im jealous of all the stuff you got to put in it =(

one thing though, when you plugged the cpu power cable in, you could have routed it through the opening above the motherboard instead of at the side. would improve your already good cabling even more

Like I said on the Vimeo page for the video, I hope the next video shows how to install Win 7 (64bit) on a SSD, I've never installed an OS other than XP and that was on hard drives, not SSDs. Let alone I never installed a 64bit OS...

Edit: Whoops, didn't read the bottom part about that software installation won't be covered in the article. Still would have loved to see a Win 7 installation and walkthrough...
    Last edited by JackVancouverBC; 12-01-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Fantastic video. I always look for good how-to vids. I have never built a system myself because I need to be laptop based for finishing college up (Macbook Pro), however when I get the money I surely will. The podcast, TWICH, and the website have really given me the system building bug.The best parts were the explanation of the steps to go in, and where there may be roadblocks and detours. While I know the drives you used for this build were not SATA 6G, even though the mobo supports it, I do not know if you used those connections anyway? It was the only real point of confusion for me.

I would enjoy all the PCPer guys doing a video similar to this. It would be great to hear Colleen's enthusiasm in putting together a triple SLI rig and see how she feels about cable management and her system building ways. Also seeing Allyn's massive RAID rigs would be informative too as I am sure there are caveats about getting 10 drives into a system.

Love PCPer!

-Chris

Thanks for all the comments so far!

No, I didn't use an X-Fi card this time - I honestly don't think it is necessary for computing/gaming I am doing.

tnorm: yeah the stock fan kinda sucks. Look for a good Thermaltake option as well that should be cheaper.

snakkajak: I'm not sure the cable would reach, but I'll give it a shot.

Jack: installing it on an SSD is exactly the same as installing it on a HDD. I'd make a video but it would be so boring (setting a couple BIOS options, putting in the DVD, a couple more key presses then waiting)!

speedy: good idea!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

without a doubt, very nice build ryan. great work.

only thing what i will build different is a raid 0 configuration with two intel x25-m 80gb ssd drives instead of one 160gb drive, double speed, same price. and ssds are much more safe than hdds in a raid 0. did you think the 160gb are enough for games? or did you install your games on the seagate 1,5 gb harddrives? maybe this or next month i will buy a new pc and for now i don't know if i go for an ssd, because of the less capacities, espacially used for games.

I admit 160GB for me is tough. Right now I have 70GB free or so on it just a few days into my new system after getting all the applications installed I need, etc. But no games yet.

I think that will be enough for now - but I am definitely looking forward to the 512GB OCZ Colossus and the like!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

No, I didn't use an X-Fi card this time - I honestly don't think it is necessary for computing/gaming I am doing.
    I've been using onboard sound for years and have never missed Creative's issues or supposedly better sound. Then again I don't care about surround sound at all so maybe that's why.
    Beware liberals with guns.

thx for the fast reply. yeah the ocz colossus would be nice. may be you right, starting with 160 gb and then buy an extra one with more capacity when it gets cheaper. good idea. btw nice video tutorial/walktrough, keep going.
    Last edited by therobstar; 12-01-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks a lot Ryan. Hoping to build my first PC next year and this video has some very good information in it.

Is there a direct download link somewhere? I'd rather watch the video on my TV than my PC

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

OMGS teh Ryans used teh vanilla thermal paste!!! You lose your tube of Artic Silver or what????

I should point my family and friends to this every time they ask me to build a computer for them.

Karkas
    Is there a direct download link somewhere? I'd rather watch the video on my TV than my PC
    If you're using Firefox, there are a few add-ons that can do it. The one I use is Video Download Helper.
    Mobile Editor - PC Perspective
    Follow me on Twitter