Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Negotaiting Cash Price for a Car?

I started a new job, and I plan on using my severance, and profit sharing to buy a 2007 G6 GT which goes for about $12-14K.

I estimate that I'll have approx $14K in cash so no financing will be necessary.

How much should I be able to talk the price down to if I have the cash available.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Re: Negotaiting Cash Price for a Car?

Depends entirely on how badly they need to sell the car. How much they've spent on it, and how much they think it's worth. Buying cars is tricky. Don't settle on one car. You'll overpay if you do.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

http://www.grandrapidsnightout.com/dining

hard to negotiate on something that new...probably won't be much wrong with it.
    have to keep an eye out in craigslist, autotrader, etc...
    craigspal is great for monitoring

I'd spend several thousand less on a sweet, reliable import and then put the rest of the money towards something else or invest

Chances are you can get a used 08 model for about that price...

You sure you want a heavy V8 car?

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter256 View Post
    Chances are you can get a used 08 model for about that price...

You sure you want a heavy V8 car?
    All G6's are V6s and about 3500lbs which isn't bad for a mid-size.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Quote Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post

I'd spend several thousand less on a sweet, reliable import and then put the rest of the money towards something else or invest
    Eh, I'll spend more money on a nicer reliable domestic car

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    All G6's are V6s and about 3500lbs which isn't bad for a mid-size.
    Oh... somehow I miss read that as the GTO ....

But yeah, the G6s are reliable.

Personally, I would put down as little as possible on a new car with 0% interest financing. Then use the cash for whatever will generate you more 'profit', something you need, dropping into a roth IRA, paying off high-interest credit cards, etc. Car financing is sooo cheap now, its like an interest-free loan, this is a good time to take advantage of it. With mildly-used vehicles, its often better to buy new for the peace of mind, warranty, and boost to your credit.

The G6 is a good choice, but I would also look at a Hyundai, Toyota or Honda. All three assemble their flagship cars in the US, and are about as 'domestic' as anything else.

Google How to Buy a New Car and if you really dont wanna put in the work to save a few thousand, just order off Cars Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus View Post
    Personally, I would put down as little as possible on a new car with 0% interest financing. Then use the cash for whatever will generate you more 'profit', something you need, dropping into a roth IRA, paying off high-interest credit cards, etc. Car financing is sooo cheap now, its like an interest-free loan, this is a good time to take advantage of it. With mildly-used vehicles, its often better to buy new for the peace of mind, warranty, and boost to your credit.

The G6 is a good choice, but I would also look at a Hyundai, Toyota or Honda. All three assemble their flagship cars in the US, and are about as 'domestic' as anything else.

Google How to Buy a New Car and if you really dont wanna put in the work to save a few thousand, just order off Cars Direct.
    I already have money going into an IRA I might buy a new G6 gt depending on the deals

But My plan is to use this as a daily driver, and save up for a nice new vehicle in the next year or so. I'm starting a new job and i want to see how this goes for now before I buy a brand new car or finance anything.

why would you drop 14 grand on something you would only keep a year or 2 and then replace? go cheap and save most of the money and get you a decent cheap good mileage daily driver.

and if you already have a semi decent ride, i wouldn't buy anything. save, and then get you something nice that you like in the next couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    why would you drop 14 grand on something you would only keep a year or 2 and then replace? go cheap and save most of the money and get you a decent cheap good mileage daily driver.

and if you already have a semi decent ride, i wouldn't buy anything. save, and then get you something nice that you like in the next couple of years.
    Because I want a "nice" daily driver that will be "fun" to drive. I understand your point. But if practicality played a role in what I drove I'd just buy some ninety-something Kia.
    And I actually plan on sticking closer to $12k.
    I have the extra money incase I'm lucky enough to find something better for a little more $$$.
    And I do plan on getting something much better for a weekend driver. But I want to see how this new job goes.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    Because I want a "nice" daily driver that will be "fun" to drive. I understand your point. But if practicality played a role in what I drove I'd just buy some ninety-something Kia.
    And I actually plan on sticking closer to $12k.
    I have the extra money incase I'm lucky enough to find something better for a little more $$$.
    And I do plan on getting something much better for a weekend driver. But I want to see how this new job goes.
    a fwd v6 pontiac is far from being fun

get a grand prix or impala or something with a 3.8.. that engine is almost indestructible, and they are pretty reliable..

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

From talking with my dad and people at work when i bought my car. be ready to walk out at all times if you aren't getting a price you want. I went into the Pontaic dealership looking at G5's. Came out with a 18.9k car for 14.5 plus 1400 for my 98 ranger which barly kelly blue booked at that price in excellent condition (wasn't anywhere near excellent). And I see-sawed through about 3 price drops. Pontaic wants to move cars.. hell every time i've rolled in that dealership since Sept i swear it's always the same cars in there.

Personnelly i'd price shop a couple of dealerships. From what I hear every one has a rock bottom price they'll go on any car and you just need to find the one that will give you that price.

Oh and i have also heard that showing up at least LOOKING prepared helps. You know print outs of the car prices and all that. Websites escape me at this time but i'm sure you can think of a couple...

Quote Originally Posted by pimp my ride View Post
    a fwd v6 pontiac is far from being fun

get a grand prix or impala or something with a 3.8.. that engine is almost indestructible, and they are pretty reliable..
    Impalas are FWDs too.

And this is a daily driver. RWDs don't do to well in the snow.
    Besides, I didn't ask for anyones opinion on my selection. I know this isn't a sports car. It's just a sporty coupe with a decent amount of power.
    Last edited by JustinC939; 12-08-2009 at 05:44 AM.

RWDs do better in snow than FWDs, IF you know how to drive in snow. In the snow, if I have RWD, and my drive tires start to spin, I still have better traction on my front wheels, which means better directional control. With FWD, if you start to spin, you loose both drive, and control.

There was a HUGE marketing campain in the 80's proclaiming that FWD is better. It's not. It's cheaper for manufactures to make, but not "safer".

Similarly, 4WD is not better for driving in snow than RWD. You start to spin, and you loose traction on all 4 wheels. 4WD is better for off-roading, and getting out of a ditch when you slide into one on a snowy day.

Remember back when you took physics (if you took physics). A spinning wheel has sliding friction between it and the driving surface. A rolling wheel has a momentary static friction between it and the driving surface. Roughly speaking static friction is 10x that of sliding friction. Thus, when it really matters I know I'd rather have good traction on my sterring tires, and not have them spinning.