Realtech onboard sound

To anyone wondering about onboard sound quality, I have this experience....

Just put together a Gigabyte MB system. It has a ALC889a Realtech sound chip. And I am blown away how good, how really good this thing sounds and performs. Works perfect with Windows 7 64bit. Lots of clean clear power. Recognized and works well with ASIO4all driven software. To think it was just one integrated device in a low priced mother board amazes me. Couldn't be more pleased.

Les

Re: Realtech onboard sound

My last build with a sound card was in 2000. All since have used the Realtek onboard. All of them worked perfectly.
    I have considered add-on audio cards a waste of money for years now.
    System Specs
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R <> INTEL E8400 AT 4.0GHz (445X9) <> XIGMATEK HDT-S1283R <> 2048(x4) G.SKILL DDR2-1000 <> XFX GEFORCE GTX 285 <> WESTERN DIGITAL 640GB <> REALTEK ALC889A AUDIO <> CORSAIR TX750 <> ASUS DRW-22B1LT DVD <> LOGITECH Z506 5.1 <> ACER 25.5" LCD(x3) <> MATROX TRIPLEHEAD2GO <> LOGITECH G500 <> GENIUS G-PEN F610 <> LOGITECH G25 <> LOGITECH G940 <> RAZER NOSTROMO <> NATURALPOINT TRACK-IR 4 <> 11240/2048 CABLE CONNECTION <> MS VISTA ULTIMATE X64

For most sub $100 speaker setups, 2 channel headphones, or if you use the optical out to an external device, they're fine.

However, my P5Q pro's onboard sound on my Z-5500s is terrible. The xonar D2X is night and day with it.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

My last system had an Nvidea SoundStorm onboard sound device which was suppose to be comparable to the best out there. But this Realtech sound chip is a much better sounding device. I haven't been able compare this Realtech sound with any other sound cards except an old Audigy card (used just for the midi i/o), and the Realtech 889a is clearly superior to that old Creative card.
    Maybe the price is a drag on the CPU's processing power. Where as a pci sound card would not rely on cpu as much.
    Anyway, I sure would recommend this 889a sound chip to anyone.
    Les

Soundstorm and audigy are circa 1999-2002 chips, this realtek chip is circa 2008-2009, moore's law has repeated 6 times in that period. So basically a card you'd pay 2000 dollars for in year 2000 would cost you 166 dollars in 2009.

Or: A $9.99 sound card from 2009 would cost you $120 in year 2000. This is about what you've seen.

Discrete cards are no exception to this law, my xonar D2X is many times better than my old via envy24, which was much better than the integrated sound on socket 370 boards at the time.
    My heatware

The onboard VIA VT2020 codec on my P7P55D Deluxe is really excellent in music, but for games, it's not so great. In games like C&C 3, with the onboard codec you can't even hear what the actors are saying.

I use my HT Omega Claro for gaming, and music.

not to offend anyone but IMO realteck sound lacks , compaired to a decated sound card like my bluegears it is night and day
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

It really is true, you get what you pay for.
    My heatware