Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for comfortable gaming headset, $65 or preferably less!

Hey guys,

Looks like my Altec Lansing headset is finally taking a dump. The wire going to the right earphone is finally giving out and cuts in and out. I'm getting ready to go shopping for some headphones, but unfortunately I know Walmart has a limited in-store selection as opposed to their online selection. If I'm going to be resorted to ordering online, I want something that you guys think is going to do well!

Sound is a plus, I definitely want to be able to hear things coming as best as I could. I already know 5.1 is a gimmick so I'm not too worried about that.

Comfort is also key, especially for those long gaming sessions. The altecs weren't bad, however sometimes after long sessions the cartilage on my ears would begin to be sensitive to touch and be sore. If I could get full headphones that completely cover the ear, I might try them... but anything that is known comfortable is good.

Decent mic: Don't like crappy quality, something that I don't have to up the DB to the max just so people can hear me... but then again I know that differs based on ventrilo codecs and windows (Windows Vista x64 atm, Windows 7 soon).

In-line volume control w/ mute for mic would be nice too!

I haven't checked out Best Buy or anything yet, but what do you guys think would be great that would be preferably under $65 / $60 if I can help it!

Thanks!
    ===================================================
    Case: Coolermaster 590 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Processor: Intel C2D E8400 | HSF: Xigmatek S1283 | Memory: 2x2GB GSkill DDR2-1000 | Video: EVGA GTX 260 216cores | Power: PC P&C 610W

Re: Looking for comfortable gaming headset, $65 or preferably less!

I have these.
    Have had them for a number of years.
    Spend the extra money.
    You won't be disappointed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-158-_-Product
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

Highly recommend these Steele Series and they are on sale for $55 shipped from teh Egg
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkrulz View Post

Decent mic: Don't like crappy quality, something that I don't have to up the DB to the max just so people can hear me..
    Quote Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
    Highly recommend these Steele Series and they are on sale for $55 shipped from teh Egg
    No offense.
    But.
    A lot of cons
    Amongst them:

Cons:- Microphone is weak, you need to boost by at least +30db so other people can hear you properly.
    Cons: Microphone could be a bit more sensitive.
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

Zetachi, what is your impression of the attached microphone to that headset? I do see a lot of cons on that but just curious what you have to say. Sorry Ghost, unfortunately those headphones are too far out of my budget. If I was going to spend a bit more money I wouldn't go for anything more than $70 if I could help it!
    ===================================================
    Case: Coolermaster 590 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Processor: Intel C2D E8400 | HSF: Xigmatek S1283 | Memory: 2x2GB GSkill DDR2-1000 | Video: EVGA GTX 260 216cores | Power: PC P&C 610W

at least 3 of the Fragging Frogs have them and I have heard no complaints about the mikes from any of them.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

i started the whole 5hV2 craze with the frogs and i love mine.

i have used the pc151's that are similar to what ghostdog recommended and their mic is no better than the 5hV2's. from the sounds of it the 5hV2 has the superior mic. i had several comments after switching that my mic sounded better. that and i've heard 2 other frogs using the same headset and their mics are very clear.

the +20db boost is a pretty standard requirement for any headset i've used, i have 4 very good ones right now and all 4 needed it. i always turn up the mic volume in windows and enable the boost by default.

in fact whenever someone joins our ts server if they're at all quiet the only way to fix it is to tick that +20db boost. if you can find a headset that doesn't need it i'd like to see it. must be actively powered or something.

otherwise the mic is great, the headphones themselves are very comfy and they surround the ear which is a plus for comfort and possibly sound. i do know they're the best sounding of my headsets and that includes the pc151's. and they're cheaper than the 161's. haven't used those so i have no comparison to them.

the price the egg has them for is pretty darn good, they've been cheaper but usually they're more expensive if anything.

edit: i also recommend using the search function, this topic has oddly come up half a dozen times in the last couple months across various forums, so there's a good bit of knowledge already posted about this very topic that might further help you decide.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT