Black drives blue drives Green drives....

any one have done any kind of comparison between WD's colorful drives?

I need to pick up something in the 500gb range. Im not that worried about power consumption versus performance. But it seems like all the "Green" drives tend to have better pricing. Also any thoughts on the Hitachi drives? I've mostly stuck with WD/Seagate over the years. I'm not all that confident in Seagate right now.

Any recommendations?

Re: Black drives blue drives Green drives....

i have always purchase wd drives and have no reason to change.

at the moment, newegg has the 500g blue for a $1 more than the green. the black for $14 more gives you an extra 2 years of warranty.

ud

I personally would buy the black Hdd, better warranty, 32mb cache opposed to 16mb cache and 2 motors in it as opposed to 1 in the green and blue.
    E3-1230v2/H100/P8Z77-LX
    4x4Gb GSkill 1866/R9 290X
    Sandisk ExtremeII 240GB/WD 1TB Black Spinner
    Lian Li Pc-7B plusII /OCZ 600W ModXStream/Z-5500's.[/I]

Reader digest version below, The WD site will give more detail and do a internet search when you find one you like and look at the reviews.

Green drives are not 7200 rpm drives (5400?). WD does not state what rpm they are. Designed for power savings and running quiet.

Black drives are the performance drives, 2 year more warranty. 32 mb cache. Plus a few other items. This is the drive that I buy now. You can get them on sale for very little if any additional cost over the blue.

Blue are 7200 rpm drives and perform almost as good as the black, but have 3 year warranty. Don't have all the refinements of the black drive but are good drives. I have 2 of the blue 640 and they are almost on par with the black drives.

Quote Originally Posted by python134r View Post
    I personally would buy the black Hdd, better warranty, 32mb cache opposed to 16mb cache and 2 motors in it as opposed to 1 in the green and blue.
    I meant 2 x stabletrac spindles not motors....duh.....they sold out again too.
    Last edited by python134r; 01-29-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    E3-1230v2/H100/P8Z77-LX
    4x4Gb GSkill 1866/R9 290X
    Sandisk ExtremeII 240GB/WD 1TB Black Spinner
    Lian Li Pc-7B plusII /OCZ 600W ModXStream/Z-5500's.[/I]

Drive color is not all that identifies it. eg Green models include wd10ears (64meg) wd10eads (32meg cache) wd10eacs (16meg) wd10eavs (8meg)... All 1TB

the green, Blue, Black drives vary in cache sizes and capacities and only the 2tb model has the dual supported spindle...

more info Here at WD

Quote Originally Posted by -=SparX=- View Post
    Drive color is not all that identifies it. eg Green models include wd10ears (64meg) wd10eads (32meg cache) wd10eacs (16meg) wd10eavs (8meg)... All 1TB

the green, Blue, Black drives vary in cache sizes and capacities and only the 2tb model has the dual supported spindle...

more info Here at WD
    I believe that all black drives have the dual supported spindle or as WD call it:

StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations.

Quote Originally Posted by -=SparX=- View Post

[/URL]
    The WD10EARS is also the one that is using WD's new Advance Drive Format with 4k sectors. Here's the anandtech article http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3691

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels303 View Post
    They have been doing that for quite some time now. Even my 200 Gig WDC drives have that - And they are really old.
    what is the model number ?