Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need to replace my E6300 Conroe. It died!

I have been out of the loop a couple of years since my last build and could use some recommendations for replacing my E6300 Conroe processor. Im guessing the thermal paste failed and caused it to over heat. I am just a casual user mainly MS Office, surfing the net, and such. The Mb is Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 1. What would be a suitable processor in todays market to give my rig new life?
    As always, your comments are appreciated and thanks in advance.

Re: Need to replace my E6300 Conroe. It died!

A new Wolfdale 45nm E6300 would probably be a good choice. Comparison here:

Intel Core 2 Duo 45nm Wolfdale vs. 65nm Conroe

Egg has them for about $80:

Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

If you live close to a Fry's you can get a CPU+MOBO often for less than the CPU alone retail. Plus if you don't mind a lil tweaking they OC pretty well on air at stock V's. This is what I"m getting out of mine:

I checked Gigabyte's site but it is unclear if your MOBO will support the newer 45nm CPU's as you say your MOBO is a Rev. 1 but the earliest rev. they show is 1.3.

GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 1.3)

GL.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Im not sure if it would work either. Maybe someone else will offer an opinion. Thank you for taking time to respond.

It may be best to get another conroe - if only to be safe.

I may get flamed for saying this, but to this day I have yet to get ANY intel 45nm CPU to work in a mobo originally designed for 65nm. I have heard of others reporting success, but from my personal experience trying to get the benefits of that die shrink may be more trouble than it's worth.

I wish that I could give you a less speculative answer, but attempting to find the CPU support list for your motherboard (on Gigabytes OWN SITE no less) provides an oh-so-helpful "Search not found!!"

So I am going to expand on "If it's not broke, don't fix it." with my own "If it ever worked, go with that."

Yes, probably safest to get another Conroe, they dont seem to be a bargin when you find one.
    Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by FendeRoy View Post
    Yes, probably safest to get another Conroe, they dont seem to be a bargin when you find one.
    Thanks for the comments.
    Eh, with the cheap combo deals going about you could probably do better by swapping the entire MOBO/CPU for about $50, perhaps less if you do not mind rebates. And you can still make use of your DDR and anything currently plugged into that rig.

My2c
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Thats the conclusion I came too also. Im looking into combos now.
    Thank you.

there has been no bios upgrades since 2007...so anything later, i would worry..if you do the latest bios upgrade....you can use these two-
    Intel E6420 & E6320 CPU.....i have a friend that just got a e5200, and asus board..for $114....and hes happy.....i would have probably got a gigabyte board...more features..it was a combo deal
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Hopefully this link works here is the list for the rev1 cpu support list.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2314
    Case Lian Li LanCool PC-K62 PSU Corsair HX850 Motherboard EVGA X58 E757 Video Card EVGA HD 570
    CPU Intel I7 930@3.5GHz Cooler CoolerMaster V8 Memory 6GB(2GB x 3) GEIL BLACK DRAGON PC3 12800
    DVD Drive LiteON DH401S DVD Burner LG GH22NS50 System Drive 60GB SSD Mushkin Callisto
    Additional Storage 300GB VelociRaptor 74GB Raptor Seagate 1.5TB Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Soundcard SB X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty PCI-E Headphones Razor Barracuda

Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    there has been no bios upgrades since 2007...so anything later, i would worry..if you do the latest bios upgrade....you can use these two-
    Intel E6420 & E6320 CPU.....i have a friend that just got a e5200, and asus board..for $114....and hes happy.....i would have probably got a gigabyte board...more features..it was a combo deal
    I have been considering the same Gigabyte MB in your sig with E8400. How easy it becomes to fall into the "hang the cost" attitude once the decision to upgrade is made. I knew going into this process that when it was all said and done I would probably get weak and buy a new MB & CPU. Well it is X-Mass right!
    Thanks for reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest_One View Post

The link worked fine. Dont know how I missed it when at Gigabyte site.
    Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest_One View Post

Same here.. I missed it also... anyway.. from that linkage:

Pentium Dual-Core E6300 2.80GHz 2MB Wolfdale 45nm R0 65W 1066 N/A
    It will accommodate the 45nm part. I'd still look for a combo deal with a MOBO upgrade. It's still cheaper than the cost of the retail CPU alone in many cases.

GL

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Eh, with the cheap combo deals going about you could probably do better by swapping the entire MOBO/CPU for about $50, perhaps less if you do not mind rebates. And you can still make use of your DDR and anything currently plugged into that rig.

My2c
    Thanks for the idea. I tend to shy away from fry's but it might be the easier, quicker, cheaper route if my asus mobo truly is dead ( had to crap out just before christmas during a move). I'm not keen on replacing a conroe 6600 and I'm already looking at Phenom 965 or i5/i7 systems.

Same boat

I just registered to join the conversation because I am in the exact same boat. My e6300@2.8ghz conroe just died and I have the exact same mobo (GA-965P-DS3). Quite a popular combo 2.5 years ago I take it.

But, I am lucky enough to have the rev 3.3 version. Which supports a whole bunch of 1333fsb processors:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Mothe...2456#anchor_os

My question is, what is the best value I can get in a new processor? I've been eyeing the solide8400 and the budget e5200.

Keep in mind, I have DDR 800. Also, anyone have any experience running newer chips in this older mobo?

I would avoid the "unofficial" support cpu's unless there is a great benefit you need.

Don't worry about the 800memory. I assume it is DDR2. You can use a divider (probably will be set auto) for 800 memory.

I would use a big cache cpu with the slower memory.

Prices usually go up linearly to a certain point then go exponential. That is usually the best bang/buck. You can always overclock if you need more speed. Don't go over a 95watt cpu if you want to overclock as the limit seems to be 130 on that board.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)