Thread: Onboard ALC 887

Question Onboard ALC 887

How good or bad onboard realtek ALC 887 chip?
    I am planing using it for listening to music.

Re: Onboard ALC 887

It's ok. Not horrible or anything. I use a M-audio Revolution 7.1, which does blow it away, however. It is just more dynamic. The onboard is far better than the old days, however. It is not full of noise or distortion, just lacking a bit in clarity and dynamic range. IMHO of coures!

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    It's ok. Not horrible or anything. I use a M-audio Revolution 7.1, which does blow it away, however. It is just more dynamic. The onboard is far better than the old days, however. It is not full of noise or distortion, just lacking a bit in clarity and dynamic range. IMHO of coures!
    Agree.. the "onboard" sound is not as horrible as days past where it used to sound like monkey butt and use a tonne of CPU cycles. I'd still recommend a dedicated card over onboard even for casual music listeners and gamers. Heck, I got the CL X-Fi Extreme Gamer in my main rig for $20 at Frys.. no rebate.. out the door. The M-audio has a good lineup also. Heck, I have an old Chaintech av-710 AV-710 in my garage MP3 Station hooked via the optical that has a Wolfson DAC and I'm able to get bit-perfect digital out using kernal streaming/asio from it... paid all of $10 retail for it back in the day.

Anyway... onboard aint that bad.. but if you use sound at all look for a decent dedicated card. You won't regret it.

My2c.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

The easy answer is this:

If you spend serious money on your speakers/headphones, you should buy a sound card. If you just have wal mart / best buy speakers or headphones, on board will work for you.
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

The only problems I have with onboard sound is the gain never seems high enough. Maxed out, it's just "loud" enough for modern music. Anything back in the 80s or even early 90's, I have a lot of trouble getting it high enough.

Aftermarket sound card is a must, imo, if you are using headphones. Speakers with an internal amp would be great too.
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W