Thread: Tesla

Tesla

Does anyone know anything about these? Specifically the Tesla S870. It says it's compatible with my motherboard. Anyone know what RHEL 4.5 64b is?

I'll do more research on this l8r today. Looks like it could be pretty badass.
    2x Opteron 2222
    Tyan S2915-e
    8GB Kingston DDR2-667
    2x MSI NX8600GT
    2x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
    1TB WD Black
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

Re: Tesla

Not up on the specs on the Teslas or how they compare price wise with other cards. I'd expect you'd get better bang for the buck with a good 2xx Nvidia card (probably even better still if you go with ATI).

RHEL 4.5 64b is RedHat Enterprise Linux version 4.5, 64 bit. So instead of running Windows, you could run RHEL to use Linux. Personally I'd HIGHLY recommend using CentOS as its identical, except you don't have to pay for support. But anything that you find to work on RHEL will work on CentOS.

Also version 4 is now outdated. You'd be better off running version 5. Here's the CentOS mirrors for their 64 bit version: http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/5/isos/x86_64/

If you need an OS for a new build, I'd recommend it. Why waste money on an OS when you can get Enterprise level software and great community support all for free.

Well, It says it's compatible with S2915e running Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Are these actual videocards or an entire system? If they are cards, I have 4 PCIe slots on my board. Probably would be cheaper to go with four 9800GTs, though.

Damn. It says the s1070 puts out 4 teraflops!! Looks like a complete system in a 1U case that connects to your PC via a host card and PCIe interface cables.

More research planned.
    2x Opteron 2222
    Tyan S2915-e
    8GB Kingston DDR2-667
    2x MSI NX8600GT
    1TB WD Black

Wow!

I just found this article.
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=424&type=expert
    It says the S870 is $12,000. Of course that was in June of 2007. TigerDirect.com has the C1060 (an individual card) for $1219.99.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...469&CatId=4044

S = 1U system with four cards
    D = a small formfactor case with two cards
    C = a single card.

I just wonder what kinda motherboard they're using for the S series.

I think I saw a C870 going for $600.

Yeah, CentOS was the first thing to pop up on google when I searched RHEL. Looks like a whole other world of stuff to explore.
    Last edited by Roach III; 12-27-2009 at 10:41 PM.
    2x Opteron 2222
    Tyan S2915-e
    8GB Kingston DDR2-667
    2x MSI NX8600GT
    1TB WD Black

Other then CentOS being free, the only actual difference between it and RHEL is the lack of RHEL logos/copywrites (RHEL logos are copywrited, not the software), and security updates are usually a day behind RHEL.

I started my switch to Linux shortly after M$ released Windows XP. It honestly took me a few years before I completely switched over. I was 100% off of Microsoft software for several years. But due to my new job, my laptop now has both Vista and Linux since one program I sometimes use for work requires Windows (thankfully I can usually go a month or more without needing to start Windows ).

The biggest reason it took me so long to do a complete switch over was the fact that Windows software does NOT work in Linux. So just about all programs you are using now will not work in Linux. You'll have to see if there is either a Linux version of the software, or learn a new program designed for Linux that does a similar thing.

You also have to watch what type of hardware you choose to use before build a Linux system. Windows drivers are useless in Linux so you'll have to research compatibility first.

Nvidia is one of the few companies that provides Linux support nearly as well as they support Windows. Hence why they are promoting RHEL compatibility with these Telsa systems. But another reason Nvidia is promoting these on Linux, is because Linux gets used a lot for research and super computer applications - which coincides exactly with what these cards/systems are designed to be used for.

I believe it was 2003 or 2004. I remember forcing myself to use Mandrake 8.1 for 6 months on my desktop. I even bought Railroad Tycoon 2 for Linux from Loki Games. I learned a few things, but not as much as I'd like to.

I've messed around with a few distros including Redhat 8, Suse, Coyote, Ubuntu, and a few others albeit just a day or two each. And I failed the install on Suse. I used Coyote on an old Pentium I for a router/web server.

May try my hand at it again soon.
    2x Opteron 2222
    Tyan S2915-e
    8GB Kingston DDR2-667
    2x MSI NX8600GT
    1TB WD Black