Leaky bathroom floor - legitimate problem?

My bathroom floor leaks pretty badly if water pools on it. Normally this isnt a problem, but if someone has a shower without fully closing the curtains, enough water can leak through to make a puddle in the bottom level. Below it is the kitchen, so its probably the best place to have a leak. But what Im concerned about is how close the drip is to the kitchen ceiling light.

Im going to call the landlord and report this, but she may know about this already and may not care. Seeing how the house hasnt burned down now, it seems like its not really an issue. Ive had apartments in the past with leaky bathroom floors too, so I didnt think it was a big deal. My roommates otoh, think its an issue that should be fixed.

So my question is: is this really an issue that needs to be fixed?

Re: Leaky bathroom floor - legitimate problem?

Besides it getting into the electrical, I'd be worried about mold and the floor rotting through.
    Earth:
    Intel Core i5 750 @ 3.8GHz
    12GB DDR3
    x2 GeForce GTX 470 SLI

Venus:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200
    2GB DDR2 800
    GeForce 9800GT

Have you got young kids in that place or something? Close the flippin' shower curtain. In addition to that, get yourself a bath mat that has some absorbant capacity. It is not realistic to seal the floor to the walls such that you could hold a defined volume of water in the bathroom outside the tub.

Possible damage? Mold, damaged subfloor, damaged drywall in bathroom, damaged sill and studs in bathroom, damaged joists, drywall damage in kitchen ceiling, electrical.

Keep the water off the floor and provide a means to absorb some limited water that escapes and there is no problem.

No, just 3 roommates.

Ok, if its not realistic to expect a perfect seal then I'm not gonna make a big fuss about it. Ill just remind everyone and throw down a few towels. Should I still tell the landlord so that at the very least, so we dont get blamed when we move out?

Its an old house, and I wonder how many of those damages already exist. I hope we dont get blamed for it.

If there's been any history of leakage then you should see some evidence of water damage to the kitchen ceiling. The obvious would be water patterns on the ceiling, but even less obvious stuff would show under careful examination. I'd look for indications that the ceiling has been touched up, like refinished drywall, any paint irregularities, etc.

If you can't find anything, even after water spilled during your stay, I'd be inclined to keep it quiet. One or two shots of water won't do anything structurally, so if there is no cosmetic damage I'd count my blessings. You should still keep an eye on things; however, in the event some mold develops or water stains appear.

http://www.grandrapidsnightout.com/dining

best thing to do is have linoleum on the bathroom floor and curl it up a bit on the sides under the trim.
    some water on the floor will never be a problem

^^As a home owner, and if you don't mind linoleum, that's a fine suggestion. As a renter, I doubt he's got that option.

I would make them fix itor at least make the,m aware of it if you dont tell the landlord and just let it do damage you may end up fixing it outta your own pocket.
    cover your a$$

with clothes...do things correctly, not to get awkwardly emotional about it, should give landlord a calm impression, to be honest lol why don't they waterproof these things? :/ :/ should have waterproof'd it, seems like at fault because didn't waterproof it when it should be however, maybe get someone to appraise the situation for damage and find evidence to assess the situation to maybe do something about it for repair if necessary
    Last edited by 3dfxrain; 01-03-2010 at 07:00 PM.

yeah, it is a problem. A problem with whoever is getting water all over the floor. Floors aren't generally made to be waterproof.
    Brian

so, are you going to recommend a mop? lol

so, are you going to recommend a mop?
    http://www.wholesalejanitorialsupply...ops-Equipment/

Take a picture of the gaps in the caulking or tile. Bathrooms and kitchens are supposed to be sealed. Even if you don't "spill" water on the floor, how do you mop it without creating mold resulting from seepage into unsealed places?

Landlords are usually ignorant about the necessity to seal a bathroom. They would rather just threaten to take you to court for damages so they won't have to lift a finger or pay for it themselves.

Buddy, they don't have damn leg to stand on, IMO.

Eventhough a tube of decent silicone caulking is about ten dollars. Any braindead idiot could buy a couple tubes and seal a bathroom before renting out a place.

However, if they were smart, they would know that there is still a bit of stimuli in the media surrounding mold damage and the health risks involved in it.

The problem your landlord may have is that it often takes 3 days for a bathroom to dry before you can seal it. Almost all caulking will not adhere properly if there is any moisture whatsoever. So, hard to say how expensive this little bit of oversight might be to her in the end.

Have her fix it or sue her. End of story. Don't wait for her sink her teeth into you. Go on the offensive. But get your pictures first.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?