Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I finally ordered it

Last night I finally got up the nerve to hit the buy button on my new system with a pair of 5970's. They are out of stock of course, so just how long a wait it is going to be I have no idea at this point.

I can hardly wait to get them on line, this will push my numbers into the stupid range as my 295's already have a RAC of 168,000. I am more interested in the boost it can give the teams numbers which have been suffering for a while now.

Hopefully I will be surprised and the wait won't be unbearable, but that has rarely been my experience.

Re: I finally ordered it

Quote Originally Posted by Schizo1988 View Post
    Last night I finally got up the nerve to hit the buy button on my new system with a pair of 5970's. They are out of stock of course, so just how long a wait it is going to be I have no idea at this point.

I can hardly wait to get them on line, this will push my numbers into the stupid range as my 295's already have a RAC of 168,000. I am more interested in the boost it can give the teams numbers which have been suffering for a while now.

Hopefully I will be surprised and the wait won't be unbearable, but that has rarely been my experience.
    Good luck........with a RAC of 168k, you are obviously not doing Seti........LOL. I have a 108k RAC there......all Seti, all the time.

Here's hoping they come in soon!

nice!, I've got a youngin bout to pop out of the oven so it's gonna be a while before i pop for any more upgrades..lol.
    hope you gettem soon!

I pulled the trigger on a 4670, should be here Tuesday. Yeah its not top of the line or anything and probably never was but it's an upgrade from the HD 3200 on the motherboard. I don't know if I can use both at the same time but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Far out, Schizo! Every little bit helps!
    ASUS A8N5X | Athlon 64 X2 4600+| Stock AMD heatsink and fan | 2x1G Corsair PC3500 | WD 250 Gig 7200/Maxtor 30 Gig 7200 | Sony DVDRW| NEC DVD/RW | eVGA 9600GTS | XPCBox w/Antec 500 TruPower PS | WinXP Pro SP3

Every day Gregory Peccary would get into his little red Volkswagen and drive to the ugly side of town, where they keep the government buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by ai5000 View Post
    I don't know if I can use both at the same time but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    You'll never know until you try. You may have to cross a lot more then just your fingers to get CrossFire to work, but I don't think we need that now do we.

Actually the A780GXE/128M motherboard I'm using does support CrossFire with a handful of cards. A PowerColor 4670 is listed as compatible but I ordered a Sapphire card. I honestly have no idea how CrossFire works, I'm assuming it's only useful for gaming? Geuss I'll find out

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you don't need Crossfire as per say for multiple ATI GPU crunching. But as you can tell, I don't know much about them either. I'm surprised that an on-board video would support crossfire (or SLI in NVidia's case).

In Collatz went from around 9 hours per work unit to around 45 minutes, not bad! I can't get both GPUs to show up at the same but that'll be work for another day.

Ah, a nice boost.
    ASUS A8N5X | Athlon 64 X2 4600+| Stock AMD heatsink and fan | 2x1G Corsair PC3500 | WD 250 Gig 7200/Maxtor 30 Gig 7200 | Sony DVDRW| NEC DVD/RW | eVGA 9600GTS | XPCBox w/Antec 500 TruPower PS | WinXP Pro SP3

Every day Gregory Peccary would get into his little red Volkswagen and drive to the ugly side of town, where they keep the government buildings.

It has finally been shipped actually on Jan 21. but it has to come from the West Coast of British Columbia to Toronto by Truck (Purolator) so it may b a day or two still

I had to make one major change, I ended up having to take 3 XFX 5870's instead of the original 2 XFX 5970's but I would have waited forever for the 59's

Hope to be online soon as my 295's have been off for a while as well, should be fully up by the end of the week

sweet

I now have it up and running but I had to switch to Milkyway from Collatz as it made my computer totally lockup every time I tried to run it with cross-fire activated and without it it was so slow I never waited for it finish a job, but Milkyway is another story.

I upgraded my internet speed last Tuesday resulting in me not having any internet at all, except for a total of 30 hours over the week so I was unable to get work for it as milkyway only gives me 48 jobs at a time and they were finishing in about 3 minutes each, now they are finishing at even faster speeds around 90-94 sec. for 214 credits or 160 for a 70-72 sec. job, it seems to be one or the other, but with 3 cards my numbers will be very high.

Currently I am looking at earning about 550,000-575,000 per day if these numbers continue to hold.

My 295's take about 11 minutes per job, so I think Collatz will stay on that machine and I will try and sort out why it is killing my 5870's as they give me 600 jobs at a time and I can handle downtime without running out.

If anyone knows why I am having trouble with my cards please let me know.

Egad! Those are crazy times. I have GOT to upgrade my vid card.