Quad core vrs core 2 duo for Win 7 install...

I have a c2d e8400, just installed 2gb more of ram for a total of 4gb in preparation to install windows 7 x 64.

Was wondering if I updated the cpu to a core 2 quad q9550 if there would be an increase in performance or if Win7 will perform better with a quad cpu vrs. Core 2 duo.

I donít do any gaming, but like to multitask when using the computer to get the most work done when I am using it.

I just did an upgrade on a different computer with I5 750 and a p7p55d board, 4gb ram, radeon 5750 with win7 pro, but I donít see much difference in performance running XP on this computer compared to the I5 board with win7.

Trying to hold off an upgrade to one of the newer i7 boards, but would still like to use this computer with Windows 7 and still have it perform well. I was only thinking about the ram and quad cpu for an upgrade for now.

Do ya think it would be a wast to spend $279 for a new processor, or should I just wait?

Thanks

Re: Quad core vrs core 2 duo for Win 7 install...

Unless its for work/time saving for programs that would benefit from quad cores I don't see the point myself. Might as well save that $279 for something better down the road you might need or want.

The OS shouldn't make any difference. If your 2-core suits you fine now it will with win 7.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

The Q9550 might benefit you somewhat - but you're just about to an I7 920 with that, and there's a new wave of CPUs being launched right now that should drive prices down to just go to LGA 1366.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

I saw a very big increase in performance when I went quad core..............but I went from an Athlon X2, 2 gigs of ram , and XP, to a Phenom II 965 , 4 gigs, and Win7 ultimate 64, so my experience may not be the norm.

Dave

Spend that same $$ on a new TRIM supported SSD boot drive. You'll love your PC again.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Unless you need to run multiple CPU intense applications (databases, virtual machines, video encoding) at the same time there is no point in replacing that CPU. I'd go as far as saying that as long as all you do is regular desktop work it will last you perfomance wise until it wears out.