Problem P55-UD3 i5-750 BSOD Stop 124 errors

Working on the computer from hell. Using GA55A-UD3, i5-750, Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 memory and a OCZ 550W power supply with EVGA 9600 GSO video card. No overclocking.

First motherboard was damaged and had to be RMA'd. Second mb bought locally had a bent pin which I was luckily able to exchange. Now after fighting with Windows7 not wanting to install without creating a 100MB partition I am seeing BSOD with Stop 124 errors. The BSOD intially started showing up during the beginning of the installation of Windows 7 Home Prem x64. Now the BSOD is happening when Windows 7 has booted up. I have yet to install the drivers off the CD from Gigabyte for Marvel 91xx Config ATA Device and the other the Universal Serial Bus Controller which I assume are the SATA3 and USB3 drivers. Using one 500GB WD green hd. All SATA is AHCI mode.

I also noticed that this computer's case speaker in the Coolermaster Centurion 5 case will emit a single beep on initial boot up of Windows and also possibly while the computer is just sitting there with Win7 booted.

Removing one stick of memory still results in BSOD stop 124 when I attempt to install the mb drivers.
    Last edited by snowbound999; 01-11-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Re: P55-UD3 i5-750 BSOD Stop 124 errors

Enabled the XMP Profile in bios for the memory and the box appears to be stable.

Well it was stable for 11 hours and then BSOD Stop 124. For all the gory details please see this thread http://forums.ncix.com/forums/index....&pcbuilderid=0

Well I certainly won't be building another computer Gigabyte P55A-UD3, Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 and Intel i5-750. This build has been one of the most frustrating in a long while. I usually use Asus and think I will revert back to them because this P55A-UD3 and I are jinxed. I had to get 3 of these boards before I found one that wasn't already damaged before I received it.

Whats most frustrating is dam annoying beep that I am getting from the internal speaker and which is not an isolated occurrence http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/board,5.0.html .

It was a battle to get this combo stable so that it did not BSOD or hang when coming out of hibernation see here http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...394#post435394

The system is still emitting this single short beep apparently randomly and the only way of currently fixing it is to disconnect the case speaker! Gigabyte for some unexplained reason hides the prior versions of the bios as well as providing nothing about what was fixed in the current version.

This is exactly what I just built for my dads new computer. Same exact motherboard, CPU and Memory. Everything went perfect for me with the build and install. The first motherboard I got also had a few bent pins in the socket and was DOA but the replacement was perfect. The only difference is I installed as IDE, not AHCI.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrat View Post
    This is exactly what I just built for my dads new computer. Same exact motherboard, CPU and Memory. Everything went perfect for me with the build and install. The first motherboard I got also had a few bent pins in the socket and was DOA but the replacement was perfect. The only difference is I installed as IDE, not AHCI.
    Probably that and a newer BIOS which fixes the beeping sound that was caused by a setting for backward compatability. I was not the only one at the time experiencing the same problem and the help from Gigabyte support was very poor.

You should try allowing windows 7 to do the 100mb partition (there is actually a valid reason why Microsoft wanted to keep the files located there seperate). Its not going to kill you and it wont fudge up your system if you use a 3rd party defragger.
    Also, who still uses the internal speaker? there's enough led's that show you where hardware problems lie rendering the speaker obsolete.

Which bent pin's did you encounter on that board? the usb headers? firewire headers? Fan connector? what?
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 04-04-2010 at 07:47 AM.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

Quote Originally Posted by JSLEnterprises View Post
    You should try allowing windows 7 to do the 100mb partition (there is actually a valid reason why Microsoft wanted to keep the files located there seperate). Its not going to kill you and it wont fudge up your system if you use a 3rd party defragger.
    My friend is using the computer for the last 3 months as it is.

Also, who still uses the internal speaker? there's enough led's that show you where hardware problems lie rendering the speaker obsolete.
    Not all motherboards have LEDS like this one has

Which bent pin's did you encounter on that board? the usb headers? firewire headers? Fan connector? what?
    CPU socket

Quote Originally Posted by snowbound999 View Post
    My friend is using the computer for the last 3 months as it is.
    Hopefully he doesnt do anything that removes or physically moves the files specific to the initial boot sequence (which would have been segregated if the 100mb partition still existed) otherwise it'll bsod. More than enough experience screwing around with the new os to break it many times in beta testing and final rtm.

CPU socket
    Its a ball grid array, there's no pins to bend.

Its a ball grid array, there's no pins to bend.
    There are little pads in the CPU socket. Those pads are actually small little fingers or tabs. One of these tabs was not aligned with the rest of them.

Take a magnifying glass the next time you have a motherboard available.

There are little pads in the CPU socket. Those pads are actually small little fingers or tabs. One of these tabs was not aligned with the rest of them.

Take a magnifying glass the next time you have a motherboard available.

I'm a certified tech, and my job is to build and fix this stuff all day.
    Unless one of the raised land grid array tabs was broken off, you can easily take a pair of microtweezers and adjust it yourself. And if you're getting a board without the protective insert in the socket when you purchase the board, its not new. Its either an rma or a used one. Did you notice the 'misalignment' when your first opened the package and removed the protective insert (if there even was one), or quite possibly did you damage it by the way you removed that insert?
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 04-04-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Unless one of the raised land grid array tabs was broken off, you can easily take a pair of microtweezers and adjust it yourself. And if you're getting a board without the protective insert in the socket when you purchase the board, its not new. Its either an rma or a used one. Did you notice the 'misalignment' when your first opened the package and removed the protective insert (if there even was one), or quite possibly did you damage it by the way you removed that insert?
    As my original post was 3 months ago this board was long ago exchanged. I noticed the single misaligned pin when I went to put the processor in after removing the protective insert.

best for future reference to just let the insert drop out by inverting the board (as a just in case measure to remove any possibility of you being the cause of any damage, since a lot of the time for RMA purposes they enjoy arguing the fact that its the end user's fault and its not covered by warranty).

side note: I hate when old threads are bumped up.