finally decided to get a dog

im going tomorrow to get a Miniature Pinscher. Its been a long long time since i last had a dog, especially a young one, its 8 weeks old. Its already had first shots and been dewormed. The lady im buying from said he/she (haven't decided yet if im getting male or female, decent sized litter i get to pick) is already on dry food and doing well.

my situation requires that i have a small dog, and i wanted a breed with a lot of energy for walks and to go on runs with me. well once he/she gets older of course

any thoughts or suggestions to things i need to get ready for and take care of?

what kind of schedule should i be looking at for the rest of the shots? i plan on asking what the dogs currently eating, but any other food recommendations?

also any thoughts on getting a male or a female?

im sure there is something ive forgotten. its been a while. any tips on training? its a small breed so its gonna be indoors (apartment).

Re: finally decided to get a dog

First I'd suggest finding a good vet, and asking him/her about vaccination schedules and food. And unless you plan to breed your new dog, have it spayed/neutered when your vet suggests.

Also, you may want to buy an appropriate sized dog cage/kennel for your new pooch and put an old towel on the bottom tray. This would be doggie's own little "place" at your home, and offer it a bit of security.

And of course, food/water bowels, toys, collar & leash, pet-stain carpet cleaner, and any other treats your vet approves of.

Mostly, be prepared to spend a lot of companionship time with it, and be patient when the inevitable chewing on stuff (as in computer cables) and potty accidents happen.

Enjoy! Dogs really don't ask for all that much, and give plenty in return.

Quote Originally Posted by azca View Post
    Enjoy! Dogs really don't ask for all that much, and give plenty in return.
    :werd:

Yep, dogs are awesome! I got home from work this morning and my 2-yr old boxer was jumping level with her back as high as my belt! The she did a bunch of the bend-in-half deal that only Boxers do. Just makes you smile and laugh.

I don't know how set you are on getting the specific type of dog, but I would consider adopting from a shelter if I were looking to get a pet. There are a lot of great cats and dogs that get put down every year that would love to have a good home. One advantage is that you can often find a dog that's already well trained.
    Do you wanna know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little... emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I knew your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    The she did a bunch of the bend-in-half deal that only Boxers do. Just makes you smile and laugh.
    LOL...I had a boxer as a kid that did the same thing.

A friend has a Shepherd/Wolf mix that is just an awesome dog. Too big. Another has a Boston Terrier, which are great indoor dogs.

My next door neighbor has a Russell Terrier that has enough energy for 5 dogs. On the occasions I've seen him outside, I've never seen him sit still. Never.
    Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Eric Idle

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us -- Cats look down on us - Only pigs treat us as equals." Sir Winston Churchill

We have a wolf mix and two wolves...they are a handful and I don't recommend them to most people, but they are a joy to live with if you have the time and commitment.

PS...we do also have a dog, which is half their size and rules with an iron paw.

Quote Originally Posted by wdb1966 View Post
    We have a wolf mix and two wolves...they are a handful and I don't recommend them to most people, but they are a joy to live with if you have the time and commitment.

PS...we do also have a dog, which is half their size and rules with an iron paw.
    LOL, reminds me of the youtube video of the cat riding the Roomba, smacking around a Pit Bull.

Here it is, ya know.

Last edited by Drawde5; 02-07-2010 at 12:39 PM.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us -- Cats look down on us - Only pigs treat us as equals." Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by wdb1966 View Post

LOL, reminds me of the youtube video of the cat riding the Roomba, smacking around a Pit Bull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf9wHkkNGUU

well i got him home Friday night. hes adjusted pretty well so far. eating good and already doesn't want to be apart. ive named him Ares after the greek god of war.

im trying to get him used to a crate. not going to well so far. he hates the thing. actually he simply doesn't like being on his own, he doesn't want to be more than 5 feet from me right now.

as far as getting him house broken, hes been pretty impressive. he can hold it through the night, and simply will not go unless hes either on the floor or outside.

it only took one time to figure out that once hes out of his crate, off the bed, couch or recliner and its been a little while since his last outing that i need to carry him straight outside. and hes starting to learn. there was a time i was in the kitchen yesterday and he came up and whined and i realized he was wanting to go out because he needed to go.

im hoping that when i take him to work and let him get used to my coworkers dog (he also crates his when were heading out of the office for a lil bit) maybe he will adjust easier to a crate when he sees another dog doing it too. and it will also give him another dog near by to keep him company.

well thats what i hope anyway.

Start him out slowly with the crate, for short periods, and reward him when he goes in nicely and doesn't argue about it.

Also, be sure there is something in the crate for him to cuddle up to, a blanket or plush towel, as pups need others around them to help maintain their body temp when they are still very young.

A chew-toy is also a good thing to have in the crate. It may help relieve anxiety while crated.

Eventually he may grow to accept it and feel secure in it, my parents' chihuahuas did and would go in the crate to sleep all night with the door open.

Our wolfdog does that for naps...she will will disappear (into her crate) and later we'll here her groaning when she wakes up.
    Last edited by wdb1966; 02-08-2010 at 11:34 AM.

he seems to be getting used to it. last night i sat the crate in the living room floor with the door open to let him go in and out as he pleased. he had his blankets and chew toy in there. after he ate supper in the kitchen he came back into the living and went straight to his crate on his own and took a 2 hour nap.

then last night i let him sleep on the bed. hes doing good, he nosed up to me and pawed at my face to wake me at 5:30 am to take him out to use the bathroom.

hes pretty funny, he did a handstand yesterday while eating supper. his back legs were up in the air, it looked like he was trying to make the letter Y with his body.

hes pretty energetic, i took him for a decent walk yesterday. he did 1.25 miles with me. i tried to pick him up partway through because i thought the distance might be to much for him. but he didn't like that he wanted down to explore and walk with me.