Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Guidance for Noob

I'm intrigued by the thought of building my own computer, but am perplexed by the learning process for being able to do so. Perhaps you folks can point me in the right direction.

In particular, is there any reference material for selection of the processor and motherboard? I've been doing research, but what's out there seems so haphazard and oftentimes 2 or more years old.

I'm willing to do the research to do it the right way...but based on the data I have, I'd be highly likely to choose suboptimal or incompatible components.

I'd appreciate any help or ideas. Thanks!

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Re: Guidance for Noob

What are you going to use the computer for?

This computer will be used for multi-tasking, general office stuff, Windows 7 based most likely. Future computers (assuming I can get this one off the ground) will be gaming computers for the kids.

What's you budget? We might be able to help you along with what components to get. A good place to buy components is newegg.com

I appreciate the help! Let's say $500 US (not including monitor) for the budget. I could replicate the Leaderboard system for this amount...but what if I wanted to do trade-offs and swap parts? Is there a definitive source of information to give me a comfort level I am getting the right stuff, or is it all "school of hard knocks" learning? That could get expensive...I can't afford to throw away money making up for my own mistakes!

The main areas are CPU type and RAM type. These two areas are the hardest to figure out. A little research goes a long way. As for the rest just use the motherboard specifications, like video card and hard drive. The motherboard will tell you if you can use a PCI express card (most motherboard do) and if you need IDE or SATA for hard drive (most are SATA now). If you have any questions about the parts you choose just post them here and we will inform you on your decision. Almost forgot the motherboard specs will also tell you the RAM type you need and CPU type as well.

Thanks, Bloodember! This is going to be interesting! I'll be using your advice as well as that from others on this site, not to mention the reviews etc. available here. This is the best site for this purpose I have come across so far.

Yes, this site can be very helpful to anyone looking for guidance with computers.

Hey RogueTrader,

I'd like to add that there is no definitive source for good parts / best parts for the price available. It changes monthly and sometimes even weekly as new parts are released. So the best thing to do is, if you aren't keeping up with it, just ask on the forums. Researching it will often give you bad information.

If you want to stay up to speed, watch PCper's news items.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Thanks, Windrunner!

I was getting the idea that it's a matter of gaining knowledge informally, rather than in a methodical way...kind of like jumping on a moving bullet train!

I have run across the Wootalyzer, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tips!

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTrader View Post
    This computer will be used for multi-tasking, general office stuff, Windows 7 based most likely. Future computers (assuming I can get this one off the ground) will be gaming computers for the kids.
    Phenom II X2
    4 gb ddr3
    on board video

simple as that

You're welcome!
    My heatware

Allright, Poci, let me try this out. Windrunner, Bloodember, come on line too, I need all the help I can get!

I think AMD would do the job...but I am thinking future-oriented, a little more performance now, with graphics upgrade in a year or two if gaming becomes a priority. So, what about:

Processor Intel i5 661 w/ integrated graphics
    4gb DDR3
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 (rev. 1.0)

By dropping out a separate graphics card now (upgrade later maybe) this comes in close to the leaderboard budget model.

I would skip the i5s with graphics on die. They may perform better, but they're brand new technology as far as intel is concerned.

You could get a phenon 2 X4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

and a motherboard with integrated graphics:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=1256%3A29273

( LINKZILLA, lol )

Anyway, I personally don't like having the GPU built on the CPU. It overcomplicated upgrades, in my opinion.

Otherwise, you could also just take the motherboard and processor from the mid range system and slap an old card, say a 9600GT or something, on it for now.
    My heatware

Windrunner,

Interesting points you make. I think Poci was saying something similar.

I was looking at that motherboard, which is available for a very economical price, and got to looking at the newegg customer reviews. Like many things on the web, you can find anything from "great" to "total POS, don't buy". What's your take on this? Is there a high risk of failure?

As the resident noob, I have enough challenges to deal with, and don't need balky/defective equipment on top of that...but NO brand seems immune from this.

Should I just dive in and hope for the best?