Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Guidance for Noob

For someone new to building their own PCs, I recommend that you go with a 1st tier brand such as Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. for the motherboard.

Here is a good choice for you:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128411

You will need an AM3 CPU and DDR3 memory to go with it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103694
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220432

If you absolutely need Intel, i5 750 should be the minimum choice. However this will probably go over your $500 budget.

Marmo:
    Ci5 4690K + Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H + 2x8GB Corsair 1600 C9 + Palit GTX980 SJ + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win7 Pro x64.

Kanon (wife's PC):
    Ci5 6600K + Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 + 2x8GB Corsair 2666 C16 + MSI GTX1080 G+X 11Gbps + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win8.1 Pro x64.

Alania:
    Dell Vostro 3460: Ci7 3632QM + HM77 + 6GB DDR3-1600 + Nvidia GT630M + 480GB SSD running Win7 Pro x64.

Moss (Windows Hyper-V RemoteFX server):
    Ci5 6600K + Asus Maximum VIII HERO + 2x8GB Corsair 2666 C16 + MSI GTX660 TF + 2x2TB (RAID1) HDDs running Win2012 R2 Std. x64.

Flame (Linux server / F@H):
    PIIX4 925 + ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 + 2x4GB Corsair 1833 C9 + Sapphire HD5750 1GB + 2x250GB(System RAID1)/3x500GB(3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID5) HDDs running CentOS 6.7 x64.

Valis:
    C2Q Q9650 + Asus P5Q3 Dlx. + 2x4GB Corsair 1600 C8 + EVGA GTX560 Ti SC + 2x74GB/500GB HDDs running Fedora 21 x64.

All,

Thought you might appreciate a follow up on how things came out. I tried to carefully balance quality/performance/price, and here's what I ended up with:

ASUS M4A78LT-M LE Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X4 B45 3000Mhz
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
    Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB
    Power Supply: Silverstone Strider 400W
    LITE-ON Black 24X DVD
    Case: NZXT Mid-Tower M59

While I would not characterize this as a "gaming" machine, it's doing a super job at the stuff I actually do. And fun for the kids to gawk at! Thanks to all for giving me the confidence that this was a "doable" project!

Rogue Trader
    Last edited by RogueTrader; 03-14-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTrader View Post
    All,

Thought you might appreciate a follow up on how things came out. I tried to carefully balance quality/performance/price, and here's what I ended up with:

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD

While I would not characterize this as a "gaming" machine, it's doing a super job at the stuff I actually do. And fun for the kids to gawk at! Thanks to all for giving me the confidence that this was a "doable" project!

Rogue Trader
    Sounds good. As long as it does what you need it to its all good. You can always add a pciE video card in the future if the onboard Radeon graphics isn't fast enough for ya too.

I am using that very same case, its a decent budget case indeed.

All,

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD

Rogue Trader
    Hi,

I'm new here, but I'm not new to building my own computers. I just wanted to throw something out there that you may not have thought about regarding the Ballistix Tracers. They look great, and friends that come over are mesmerized by them, but after a while you may realize that they are just too much/intense. I'm all about bling with my performance components, but I just had to get rid of my DDR2 6400 Tracers, because they just got to be too much for me. I ended up with OCZ Reaper 1066's.

It's just a thought, because I'd hate for you to spend a bunch of money on them and then not like them after a couple of months.

Also, an idea to help you save money is Bing cashback. Go to http://www.bing.com and search for bing cashback. One store that I know of that has it is Tiger Direct. Basically you get a percentage of your purchase cash back adding to your savings.

Anyway, good luck!

Thanks for the input, OutlawPiper!

I got a good deal on the Ballistix. It didn't seem to be very much more than any other memory. I was going for a cost-effective solution, and the visual effect was for the kids (really!). I looked up the OCZ Reaper 1066, very impressive. I'll consider that for next build/upgrade. And the Bing idea, who can fight cash back?

Now - what about that Scottish heritage? I have been there...the whole place is like a National Park.

I was going for a cost-effective solution, and the visual effect was for the kids (really!).
    My wife considers me her oldest son... hehe. I like blinky lights and shiny things.

Now - what about that Scottish heritage? I have been there...the whole place is like a National Park.
    You're lucky. I'm part Scottish, and I'm a bagpiper, but I haven't gotten to visit Scotland yet. I'm dying to, but it probably won't happen until my sons are older and would appreciate all the castles. My oldest son (almost 2) really likes the bagpipes and is always asking me to play, so I think it will be easy to convince him to go.

By they way, after I posted last I realized you had already bought your stuff. Sorry about misreading. My advice was better suited for the pre-purchase stage.